Contact Dermatitis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tess walters

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to help someone with this problem. One of my clients has it and everytime she gets her nails done she gets these blister on her fingertips. She found some things that she can use but they just don't stay on her nails very well.
Anybody have any things that have worked for them?

Are you certain that its dermatitis and not overexposure?

To be honest hun I think you should stop enhancing her and send her to a Doctor and rule out an allergic reaction to monomer. If you assume its contact dermatitis and carry on, every exposure can heighten the allergy and you could make it much worse and affect her health. Play it on the safe side and tell her to get the problem looked at and diagnosed.

If it is an allergic reaction you might find that she can wear gel without any problems.

Either dermatitis or overexposure the only way to stop the reaction is to stop contact with the reacting agent...

There is an ingredient in a product that is touching soft tissue that should NOT be touching...

This topic seems to be coming up a lot at the moment!!! This is a big worry for me - are we as professionals seriously not being trained in this...!!!

Right oh - here we go...

The human body can become allergic to particular ingredients - wether a protein in a bee sting or peanut - a lot of the products used in the nail industry have the ability to irritate ... continued over exposure (defined as repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified by regulatory agencys) will (in some people) cause the skin to reject and react

This reaction starts as irritation - sometimes this gets called dermatitis... a redness and itchiness. the next stages go through swelling, through to water blisters (at this level of reaction you have a full blown allergy on your plate...) as I said, once it hits this stage, all you can do is stop contact with the allergen...(the ingredient causing the reaction)

If you have not heard or learned this info you NEED to read doug schoons Nail anatomy and product chemistry book 2..!!!! This goes for all nail techs that are not aware of allergys.

Bear in mind this simple phrase! No nail product is intended to come in contact with soft tissue (skin) THIS is what causes the problem in the first place!!

Your client will have to change to a product that is lower on the allergy ladder.. Try CND's BRiSA gel... and nope there is nothing that can be done to reverse an allergy once it's started... It's down to technicians doing things the right way FROM THE START so that this never happens...

Sorry for the spiel - BUT we all need to be very aware of this...

Hi ,

Ive been wearing Ezflow acrylic for nearly a year now and from about April this year Ive developed an alergic reaction, I was thinking it was just where my skin was coming in contact with monomer, Ive wrapped my fingers up , gloved them Vaselined them ..it helped but still parts of my hands were driving me nuts itching...I only realised one day when I thought I would go natural for a while , this reaction cleared up in days!

Anyhow wearing enchancements for so long ,and then being without ,I hated it , so back on with the acrylic, within hours they were back to itching like mad, I was actually soaking them back off 4am that morning as I just couldnt get to sleep.But now Ive put Bio Sculpture gel on and my fingers have been absolutly fine .!!

I agree with what Envy has said, but bear this in mind also:
I have a friend, in fact she's a regular on this site (she'll probably show her face on this thread when she sees it), and she is so severely allergic to monomer that if she wears liquid & powder enhancements, her skin bubbles up, blisters and pretty much falls of And all this without her skin coming into any contact with the monomer so severe is her allergy

She hasnt always been this way, but due to an irresponsible salon many moons ago who used to splash monomer round like it was body spray she has developed a reaction to this severe stage and now she cannot come into any proximity with it at all. Just goes to show how the reaction can develop with each repeated exposure if you dont stop it immediately and get it looked at & diagnosed.

I'm sorry I did'nt make myself clear! She isw only using nail polish, no enhancements. She wants to find a way to use polish on her nat.nails

well... that was a long winded spiel for off the subject ...

however, the info is still very much relevant! she is having an allergy, however it is most likely to formaldehyde, as this is commonly used in cheap polish in high levels to help adhesion -
unfortunatly there are also trace amounts found in pro nail polish formulas - the reason for this is it makes the strongest formula (TSF -tosalinformaldehyde resin if memory serves me) - if tested this would come up negative, however once allergic this is still enough for some people to react to... sigh...

If that is the case and she is reacting she will need to use a formaldehyde free version, and yes, these are not nearly as good a quality, or as strong.

Hth's

hi i think that your lady has had an allergic reaction to either the monomer or the primer.. get her to go to the docs hun b4 it gets worse x

Here's something that might help................
There is a barrier cream called Skinsure which, if applied to the tips of her fingers and around the skin (not the nail plate of course) MIGHT be effective in preventing a reaction.
Apparently it's used by hairdressers who have contracted contact dermatitis, and it has had good results.

I agree with what Envy has said, but bear this in mind also:
I have a friend, in fact she's a regular on this site (she'll probably show her face on this thread when she sees it), and she is so severely allergic to monomer that if she wears liquid & powder enhancements, her skin bubbles up, blisters and pretty much falls of And all this without her skin coming into any contact with the monomer so severe is her allergy

She hasnt always been this way, but due to an irresponsible salon many moons ago who used to splash monomer round like it was body spray she has developed a reaction to this severe stage and now she cannot come into any proximity with it at all. Just goes to show how the reaction can develop with each repeated exposure if you dont stop it immediately and get it looked at & diagnosed.

this is what happens to my skin, it starts off itching, then the red blisters appear, then after a few days of more itching the skin is brown like a burn and literally peels of my hands. They have just healed up fully because i have not touched anything to do with nails for 3 weeks, i have been to the doctor and he gave me some barrier cream, which doesn't work, because i did a set of acrylics on saturday and since sat night i have been itching, and the skin is coming off on one finger.

I think im gonna have to use gloves from now on and go back to the doctor for some stronger barrier cream!

I get contact dermatitis from filing dust when I do my on nails and it pretty bad. Even affects my stomach if the slightest amount gets there. It doesn't tend to present with blisters though, its more of a really itchy red patch which becomes inflamed with scratching.

Wow...this is alot of good info, i went through the same thing. I had been wearing acrylic for 3 yrs. then i went to nail school and half way through the 240 hrs. my left hand started breaking out with the redness then blisters. I finally got that healed up and then a day of doing acrylic @ the school i broke out again. this time it was worse then before i ended up going to the doc. and he gave me a steroid cream to use and after weeks it cleared. i know wear gel BUT how do i handle putting acyrlic on clients? in the past i wore gloves but i still broke out. any info would be great i would hate to have to stop the acrylic app. on clients.

My client does'nt wear acrylics!!!!!!!!! She is only wearing polish. And she can't even wear that. I am trying to come up with something for her.
Thanks

well... that was a long winded spiel for off the subject ...

however, the info is still very much relevant! she is having an allergy, however it is most likely to formaldehyde, as this is commonly used in cheap polish in high levels to help adhesion -
unfortunatly there are also trace amounts found in pro nail polish formulas - the reason for this is it makes the strongest formula (TSF -tosalinformaldehyde resin if memory serves me) - if tested this would come up negative, however once allergic this is still enough for some people to react to... sigh...

If that is the case and she is reacting she will need to use a formaldehyde free version, and yes, these are not nearly as good a quality, or as strong.

Hth's

Hi Tess, everyone has run off on the monomer issue here, read the above again, as it is related to nail polish ingredients NOT liquid & powder :)

Hth's

Latest posts

Back