converting spare room/ garage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailfairy

Reaction score
Hi guys.
just wondering if any of you work from home i.e spare room/ garage other outside building.
Its something ive been thinking about for a while now. my husband was talking about getting some kind of outside building as we have a v large garden and siteing it out there. Wasnt sure wether this would take off though, at present i am mobile and prob would stay mobile in the future to, but would be nice to be able to offer the option of clients coming to me.
Also would this affect your taxes, mortgage etc...

It can affect your council tax if the room is solely for the purpose of business - if say you use the room 3 days a week and the rest of the time it is used for 'domestic' purposes, then you can get away with not having to pay business rates. Either way the rates you pay are only for that room, so worked out proportionately, rather than the rates going up for the whole house.
If you visit businesslink.gov.uk and the Inland Revenue site they have leaflets and downloads about working from home. I also contacted my local council (they had a small buiness advisor type) who gave me the contacts for the planning department, the council tax department and health and safety/trading standards who would help me out.
Not got all the answers yet (backed off a bit as dad thought we were trying to run before we could walk), but they will be able to put you in contact with the right departments.
HTH
Lol x

Not nail related, but we have put a 2 roomed (if you can call them that) small chalet into our garden as an office for my husband. It cost us less than £6K including slinging power across from our workshop and a telephone line from the house.

I've just landed my husband with a plan to turn my present kitchen and a bathroom into a small nail/beauty studio, as I have an area outside it that can accomodate cars and it was a part of the house built in 1933 so it can be kept separate from the main house. Part of my plan, though, is to take over another part of the house as a kitchen so he'll need some persuasion.

terregles said:
I've just landed my husband with a plan to turn my present kitchen and a bathroom into a small nail/beauty studio, as I have an area outside it that can accomodate cars and it was a part of the house built in 1933 so it can be kept separate from the main house. Part of my plan, though, is to take over another part of the house as a kitchen so he'll need some persuasion.
don't forget to make sure there's room for your fridge!!!:wink2: :wink2:

Haven't forgottern, Laura. I like to keep at least 10 steps ahead of my OH at all times - I've also earmarked a spot for another AGA and a concealed bit at the side of that to keep my saddles in the winter to stop them getting greenies.

Latest posts

Back