Convince me-why Dermalogica?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckylashes

Reaction score
I am in two minds if to stick with eve Taylor or go to dermalogica

Has anyone gone to pro beauty in October and got a start up package?

I am college dermalogica trained but I felt the sales rep was pushy when I enquired

Please help

Have you searched recent threads on dermalogica? Only there has been alot of not so great threads by current stockists of dermalogica. Might be worth a look before you consider investing your money. X

I'm more likely to convince you why NOT Dermalogica!

Available in the high street, online and everywhere else. From what I've read there can be poor support from the reps but I think that can just depend on your rep! Retail is a massive massive part of my business, so something so readily available online is a big no for me.

I think there are much better brands out there that are less available on the high street with better results and better support. There will be dermalogica stockists who will disagree but there are many who have invested heavily with this company who will agree and feel as if they have been sold down the river.

The best I've heard of them is that their training is excellent, but so are many others!

Read through some of the threads on here!

Vic

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I think half the problem with Dermalogica is the market for it is saturated. Once they got into colleges too many students came out thinking that Dermalogica was the one and only skincare line, and rather than do some leg work and research other professional ranges, they simply set up using what they already know. As a result you can't swing a cat without hitting a Dermalogica salon.

Rather than choose between Eve Taylor and Demalogica, why don't you make a list of ALL the professional brands out there, research them, ask for samples, ask what the company can offer you in terms of support and training (in the long term, not just whilst in your first year or two of business), and choose what best fits your market, and perhaps most importantly, which one YOU can get enthusiastic about.

I used to use crystal clear but it didn't work for me I was thinking elemis but I don't know if the cost is worth it for me

Vicky what skincare do you use please is it environ?

I have read almost all the threads but still we have people ask if we sell dermalogica :/

I like eve Taylor but I feel it doesn't have enough advertising and people see it as the cheaper alternative

I don't think we do enough facials to spend money on elemis :/ xx

Research the area where you are. I knew someone in South London who regretted taking on Dermalogica because about 20 salons near her had done the same thing. A friend of mine who was considering going back to Dermalogica asked them about retail and they recommended her to do what other stockists do: sell the products on-line. Do you want to compete with that? There are now so many brands becoming more well-known who don't do on-line retailing.

I used to use crystal clear but it didn't work for me I was thinking elemis but I don't know if the cost is worth it for me

Vicky what skincare do you use please is it environ?

I have read almost all the threads but still we have people ask if we sell dermalogica :/

I like eve Taylor but I feel it doesn't have enough advertising and people see it as the cheaper alternative

I don't think we do enough facials to spend money on elemis :/ xx

Sorry becky I didn't see that question hidden in there. Yes I'm an environ stockist. I retail a lot of products and do quite a lot of facials.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I totally agree with squidgernetball, Dermalogica is far too common, & is not thought of as luxurious at all!

Opt for Decleor!!!!

Environ or Eve Taylor....Dermalogica, Decleor etc the market is saturated with these products department stores, salons etc. Environ is a fantastic brand however you would need to be doing alot of facials and have over 50% of your clients wanting facials to make it worth your while as it's a big investment - a very good one but make sure it fits your model. If not you will not go wrong with Eve Taylor, their quality of products for the price they sell at is quite unbelievable obviously not a greedy company at all. OK they might not be as marketed but if you are a professional then it's up to you to educate and market your product to your clients...a good product is only half the battle.

If you don't turn over a substantial amount each month with Dermalogica forget getting any support what so ever, and believe me with every man and their dog selling it, including ebay, you're going to struggle.

I've been a stockist for around 6 years, I used to order and retail a considerable amount each month, I would say now it's less than half what I used to. The last rep I spoke to told me everyone in my area is in the same boat and I would just have to try a bit harder!! People will come for the facials now because the product is good but they hardly ever purchase from me as they go on line and get a bargain.

Dermalogica's training is fantastic and free, however that's not worth much if you can't make decent sales from it.

I am in two minds if to stick with eve Taylor or go to dermalogica

Has anyone gone to pro beauty in October and got a start up package?

I am college dermalogica trained but I felt the sales rep was pushy when I enquired

Please help

I think you're title says it all really, if you were 100% convinced of Dermalogica you wouldn't be needing us Dermalogica stockists to convince you.
Although I do notice the replies you've had looks like only 1/2 actually Dermalogica stockists have replied to you and disgruntled ones at that 😳.
I saved for a year to stock Dermalogica as I knew 100% that was the brand I wanted in my salon. It's not available in every high street shop - Dermalogica have skin bars in high end department stores such as Harvey Nichols & Selfridges which if this bothers you that's probably another mark against them for you, personally I like that it's available there as its advertising for me, they don't do skin treatments on the skin bars they refer them to salons - which in turn makes more clients for me.
I love the FaceMapping skin analysis which comes in handy for retailing and skin treatment prescriptions. The skin treatments work and give fantastic results, electricals are easily incorporated into all the skin treatments, your able to offer treatments for example not just oily skins but you can also treat Acne skins, Ageing Skin, ultra sensitive, pigmentation etc. Yes the training is excellent - tens times better than other companies I've trained with, the training isn't just about selling the products it's about learning skin types, the how's, whys & it gets more in depth as you go on & work through their classes. The training you receive in college with Dermalogica is not what you learn on your Dermalogica Live 5 days - you learn so much more!
Your not forced to purchase every month from them - there is no "min" order when you do, you get free website via their connect online, business support & much more. My "temporary" rep I have currently covering for my normal rep is rubbish so I deal with head office directly.
With any skincare brand you will only get out what you put in - meaning lots of hard work!
If you want to PM me with any other questions your more than welcome - I hoped I've helped some x

I totally agree with squidgernetball, Dermalogica is far too common, & is not thought of as luxurious at all!

Opt for Decleor!!!!

I differ with you (sort of lol) - luxurious isn't what Dermalogica is about its about results, it's a cosmeceutical brand - if your clients want "luxury" then I assume that's why your thinking of brands such as Decleor which id class as more aromatherapy spa like, for those who prefer relaxation & scents. Although my Dermalogica skin treatments are relaxing 😀

I differ with you (sort of lol) - luxurious isn't what Dermalogica is about its about results, it's a cosmeceutical brand - if your clients want "luxury" then I assume that's why your thinking of brands such as Decleor which id class as more aromatherapy spa like, for those who prefer relaxation & scents. Although my Dermalogica skin treatments are relaxing 😀

Decleor is actually incredibly results driven, and is not about 'scents', but extremely powerful essential oils

Decleor is actually incredibly results driven, and is not about 'scents', but extremely powerful essential oils

Yes Dermalogica has powerful essential oils too but is a cosmeceutical brand very different to decleor but I suppose it depends on what you want to offer your clients. I offer two brands for different clientele, Dermalogica and also Susan Molyneux brands - one is like I have said cosmeceutical and the other essential oil & plant based. Both fantastic.
Sorry if you found my reply to your post abrupt but I also found yours the same stating Dermalogica isn't a luxury brand...wondering how you have this opinion?

Anyway clearly geeks on SG really have a bee in their bonnet about Dermalogica from most posts that are replied to on here, even those that do not stock it! Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm assuming the op has asked for those who actually stock and use Dermalogica.
I hope the op gets the answers she is looking for. Good luck

Just because someone doesn't currently stock Dermalogica, it doesn't mean they have no experience of it. Its precisely because I have worked with Dermalogica that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I got far better results with Decleor than I ever did with Dermalogica.

Just because someone doesn't currently stock Dermalogica, it doesn't mean they have no experience of it. Its precisely because I have worked with Dermalogica that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I got far better results with Decleor than I ever did with Dermalogica.

Well a skin brand can sometimes only be as good as the therapist, same for example with results with facial electrical machines.
I've experienced working with lots of different brands over my 17 years but I wouldn't slate them because I personally didn't like them, they are all good in their own ways - I find those with your attitude about other brands v what you use now to be biased which is all well and good I guess you want your skincare brand you stock to be the "best". It's great you all seem to loathe Dermalogica and all but I am not one of those and run a successful business with it. But then again neither will I come on here and go on about how I discontinued using and stocking decleor or elemis - as there are still great products!

Did you know that eve taylor actually supply dermalogica with their additives??

To the OP.

This probably answers all your questions. Clearly there are geeks on here successfully using a wide range of products, and from the sounds of it, they're all getting good results and retailing.

I can honestly say that spending huge amounts in an opening skincare order is no guarantee of success. The first range I used cost me several thousand in an opening order 15 years ago, and I retailed very little. I liked and used the products, but if you asked me what made them different from products you buy in the high street, I couldn't have answered.

Fast forward many long years and I can sell skin care to anyone. I know why and how my products work and why they're different.

If you're currently using eve Taylor, have you done the training? Do you know what sets them apart, how they work and why they're great for your clients? Can you explain it to your clientele?

There is no quick fix. If you don't believe in your brand, you're on a hiding to nothing, but don't be fooled by glamorous packaging and fabulous advertising.

I sell environ and none of my clients had ever heard of it. Outside of the professional arena, their advertising is minimal. No celebrity endorsements or fancy packaging. But it sells because I know how and why it works and I have found ways to explain it all to my clients, including what makes it different from high street products.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back