Cost of a wedding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too! My other half loves it he's talking to the telly sometimes saying they've messed up! X
haha yeah mine does that. He's like "AHHH NO he's f**ked that right up, she'll hate him" I'm like calm down, they always love it! haha

I would have hated not choosing my own things ... Hubby has nice taste but it's just like it takes away all the fun ...:)

Totally agree with jody2412......I planned my sisters wedding for her and she had 5k for the whole thing .....she had everything she wanted a designer wedding dress 5 bridesmaids 3 pageboys a church wedding cars photographer dj etc etc what kept the cost down was not having caterers instead we hired a venue and still had a sit down meal but had tesco deliver hot bread rolls all different so they were warm at the time we needed them a butcher delivered platters of meats and we had salads etc ....everyone still talks about that wedding where as my cousin spent £25k on her wedding and although lovely was no better or worse ....so it really does depend ....I cut loads of costs especially with the wedding flowers I told the florist I was doing a bridal fashion show (I kept my fingers crossed) it meant I had to go and collect the flowers but no biggy as the bridal bouquet alone would have cost £125 but by me not saying it was for a wedding I got exactly the same for £30!!!!!......weddings can be at the price you need them to be just think outside the box x

Saying you're doing a bridal fashion show is an amazing idea!!

Saying you're doing a bridal fashion show is an amazing idea!!

I felt a bit guilty fibbing at first but then I thought if you can do it for that amount and then try and charge me nearly £100 more for the same thing just because I said its for a wedding you can sod off didn't feel guilty for fibbing for long after that lol x

We are getting married next year and ours is coming in at about £19k at the moment. My parents have given us 5k and we've had another 4K from various other people that have contributed so we've been really lucky but the rest we're paying ourselves. We are lucky to be in a good position, we have a mortgage on our forever home, no kids yet, both earn decent wages so decided we wouldn't set a budget as such. That amount is still being sensible and doing lots ourself though, around £11k of that total is just venue hire and food! We are making invites, flowers, table centre pieces, favours etc all ourselves - eBay is my best friend! x

My wedding cost £1000, we disappeared to Australia, just the two of us. Had a couple of waitresses as our witnesses. Loved it.

But in the UK as I do a lot of weddings then yes they usually average around £24k plus. Most expensive one I did was around £65k. Utter madness!

My wedding cost £3,000 most of our stuff we had we either handmade or got a discount on (the venue for the meal my mum worked at so got a discount from the manager) x

My friend searched on Google for last minute weddings, she used this and got married for just under 3k

I've just typed in Google, last minute weddings and it's flooded with canceled date's and bargain deals thst would normally cost a small fortune
http://www.lastminuteweddings.co.uk/

I think it all depends on your own preferences of what you want, and where you live/want to get married. We had over 100 guests for a sit down meal so needed a large venue. Catering alone (3 course meal plus tea/coffee and finger buffet in the evening) was £80 per head, but it was important to us to have everyone we wanted there. Round where we live, that was quite cheap!! We also wanted a Saturday wedding as lots of people were having to travel, and we knew if we did it mid-week it would make it difficult for them to have time off work.
After that, we saved on a lot of things; I made all the favours, we bought the cake from M&S, I made decorations for the venue, we used an iPod playlist for music during the meal, bought my dress through a sale event, bridesmaid dresses from debenhams in the sale etc.. But overall the cost was still almost £24k. Church was £600, we spent almost £2k on flowers, cars another £500 etc etc.. Sure there were things we didn't 'need' - we had a live magician to entertain the guests as they arrived at the venue and pictures were being taken, and a 7-piece live band for the evening, we hired garden games like giant Jenga and chess for the daytime to keep the kids/drunk people amused.. The whole day was like our own little festival and we had the most amazing time, and so did our guests!
We live in Buckinghamshire, and it's expensive, my sister-in-law-to-be is getting married next week on a Wednesday in a country house near Leeds, and is only having 25 guests, her wedding is less than £7k.
Our wedding was expensive, and I did have complete moments of panic when I thought we were going completely over the top, and was ridiculous to spend that much money, but it was what we wanted. We planned it over two years, and paid for bits as and when we could, so spreading the cost. But I wouldn't change a thing!!

Iv just booked my wedding venue and that alone is 8k, I always hear people saying weddings average 20k upwards and I thought it sounded mental until Iv started looking at the price of everything!

Wow, I could have all the money in the world and couldn't justify some of these prices for a wedding.

So long as I had my partner and our kids there I'd quite happily get married in my casual clothes in the local registry office... The feeling of being 'official' is far more meaningful and memorable than the flowers that cost hundreds and got chucked in the bin!!

I would however do a big party so that people felt part of it but nothing expensive.

I've been to a few weddings and wouldn't have a clue whether there was a lot spent or not, I'm not one for looking at the fine details I think it's all a bit pretentious tbh but I never have been bothered for a big day, it's certainly not my childhood dream... :)

I feel a little relieved from reading this thread, our wedding is sept 2017 and so far it's around the 20k mark and we are not being extravagant there's much more we would like but have to be realistic , I do have moments of panic where I wonder if it's worth if for one day but we work hard and it's a special day we will remember forever, I didn't realise just how much weddings cost til we started this.

Well mine cost about 3k but it was in 1993!

We had 40 really special people to the sit down do, about 80 in the evening .... What sort of numbers are common these days?

our wedding cost around 11k 6 years ago and it wasn't extravagant or particularly fancy (apart from my dream dress) All the small costs soon added up. We had 100 for a sit down meal then 50 more guests in the evening. I've been to loads of weddings ranging from small budgets to large budgets and they have all been special and lovely. Xx

My wedding was on Friday and I can honestly say (obvious I am biased!) it was the best day EVER!!
We didn't get married till 4pm which gave me the whole morning to get ready and generally just lounge aroun, it was so chilled out!
We had limousines pick us up to take us to our church service, then onward to our reception venue where we had bacon and sausage buttys as our canapés, we had a band and a DJ, a photobooth, a videographer and photographer who were with us from 1pm, and an evening buffet for 160 people.....and spent just over £5500 :) :)
Leaving out the whole sit down meal made the day feel so relaxed, and we just did the speeches at the night time!
One of my best friends mums even said to me she enjoyed our wedding more than her own sons, which I couldn't believe, and I know he spent in excess of £20,000 on his wedding!
Which goes to prove more isn't always better :)
Xxxxxxx

Ours was
€150 for tiny town hall in ravello overlooking the amalfi coastline married by the mayor.
£3500 for hotel in amalfi, flights & wedding planner
€500 night at the Caruso the night before the wedding (with mum)
€1200 wedding breakfast for 5 at the Caruso in ravello
£1300 dress etc
£300 hubs suit etc
Paid something with the registrar in uk but can't remember what, not a lot.
Spending money in amalfi (quite a bit)
£500 hire at golf club wedding venue (uk)
£1500 meal for 37 (uk) more guests after the dinner and speaches but no food.
£250 DJ
£3000 honeymoon in Cuba + spending
£500 hen do in Ibiza + spending
And not a lot for a hen do in uk

My rings £2500
Hubs engagement/wedding fishing pole £1500
Hubs wedding ring €20

Dad paid for the booze at the do here.

Was going to do flowers, favours, cake etc for the uk do but couldn't be bothered in the end and I was still working the day of the reception so no time!

The amalfi coast really is the best place in the world and we've been back for our 1st, 2nd & 3rd anniversary and have already booked for next year.

Last edited:
I think we worked out we spent about £17k all in with both dos and the money we spent while away x

5.5k for the entire thing including dresses, hotel service and reception and a 2 week 5 star all incl honeymoon in the Dominican Republic :) we paid everything ourselves :) xxx

I loved the Dominican Republic. One of the best holidays we've had.
Went to Cuba for our honeymoon and didn't really like it

Latest posts

Back