Could it be their nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilymayc

Reaction score
so I'm in the process of decorating my rented treatment room to start in a couple of weeks but I'm just so worried about my gel nails. I have been doing gel nails on friends and family for over a year now and they've been fine but I have recently changed to OPI GelColour. Again I've been practicing loads, and while most people have been really happy with them, I've had a couple of girls come back to say that all nails are flaking off. It's only been two girls out of all the people I've done but it just makes me feel so disheartened and worried about going into a salon and charging full prices. I know prep is the most important part of gels and I am so throurgh and spent a lot of time on prep and always the same on each client... Could it be that some peoples nails just can't work well with gels? I know that's probably a ridiculous question and I'm doing something wrong but I just don't know what it could be that I'm doing wrong when others last weeks. Again another ridiculous suggestion but both girls have very young children... Could this be a factor? As in could there be a product that would weaken the gels. I'd appreciate any advice because I, really starting to worry!!

Also, what aftercare advice do you give to your gel clients to prolong their nails?

What did you use before? Does OPI Gel Colour have different prep steps compared to your previous brand? Are you using the full OPI system including the appropriate lamp?

What did you use before? Does OPI Gel Colour have different prep steps compared to your previous brand? Are you using the full OPI system including the appropriate lamp?

I was using artistic before at college. But yep, I'm using full OPI system minus the OPI lamp but I actually spoke to a member of the education team at OPI who said my LED lamp was fine... I did wonder if it could be that but as most of the nails are fine I ruled it out...

What do you mean "flaking off"?
I have never seen gel colour flake off. Generally it would chip or peel. I would definitely look for a second opinion from OPI on the lamp though.

What do you mean "flaking off"?
I have never seen gel colour flake off. Generally it would chip or peel. I would definitely look for a second opinion from OPI on the lamp though.

This is the picture the girl sent me..
image.jpeg

Stop worrying. She's picking.

I'd bet money on it.

I'd bet money on it.

Could I ask what you would do in this situation if a client were to come in to complain about their gels and you suspect they had been picking, what you would say/do?

First of all, sell them a good cuticle oil for home care. I would come right out and say that, in my experience, they look like maybe she had a little nibble or picked at the edges. Gel polish is fun to peel off. That's why they do it. I do it, and believe me, I know better. I went from being a biter all my life, getting gels for years, then to getting my license and my own long nails. Unfortunately, instead of biting, I now pick. Cause I like it.

Maybe look to make sure the entire free edge is capped with all the products, including foundation, as it may be that water has got under it?

I have had same thing. I have clients who go 4 weeks plus with no chipping/peeling and a couple who for some reason no matter what I do they peel off after a couple of days. One was my sister who has problems with allergies and uses an emollient cream which I think absorbs so well that it hinders the gel application. With the other lady I have literally no idea. I too am very particular about the process and am consistent in my method. Sorry not advice but know you are not alone! ( and I have a lot of years on nails behind me!)

It could be something they are doing, using or it's just not working for them. It's very easy to get stressed initially but have the confidence to ask them to honestly think what they are doing day to day. If you can't pin pint what it is then it's best just to say that the product you use isn't suited to them. I've only had to do it once with a client and I knew it was nothing to do with application or the product but it was a relief not to get texts requesting repairs all the time

Capping is Esthetic only, as per Gigi Rouse, who is one of the most well respected techs in the world. She, I and many others regularly file Shellaced nail edges with no ill effects. The client definitely forced off the product on the second finger, it's jagged, not a natural peel.

Out of interest, if a lady has very young children, could baby wipes effect a Gels finish?

I have had same thing. I have clients who go 4 weeks plus with no chipping/peeling and a couple who for some reason no matter what I do they peel off after a couple of days. One was my sister who has problems with allergies and uses an emollient cream which I think absorbs so well that it hinders the gel application. With the other lady I have literally no idea. I too am very particular about the process and am consistent in my method. Sorry not advice but know you are not alone! ( and I have a lot of years on nails behind me!)
Thank you!! How do you go about this with new customers then, if they were to return within a couple of days complaining would you fix them for free and then if/when they return again (and you suspect it's something to do with their nails/lifestyle) would you straight away say so, or would you try a number of times before saying to them that it's just not working?

Out of interest, if a lady has very young children, could baby wipes effect a Gels finish?

This was my theory... I didn't really think baby wipes but I thought there could be something they use daily which might break down the gel....

Make sure you shake the OPI gel polish for 60 seconds an educator for the brand told me that if it's not shook for 60 seconds it can lift/peel easier she also said it must be an OPI lamp with their products. On another note my friend who has a 2 year old has never been able to keep gel polish on since having him. X

When my boys were younger wet wipes didn't effect it but sterilizer solution and grabbing things from the hot steam sterilizer did.

I'd tell them the first repair is free and during that appointment discuss what could have caused it and point out aftercare again.

Latest posts

Back