Could Shellac be damaging their nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
I've a handful of clients who have started having problems with their nails - they're all Shellac wearers, all use their solar oil daily (I'm proud to say, I've drummed this into my ladies!) but they are all having problems with their nails becoming very soft and splitting/breaking.

Unfortunately, they've started to blame the Shellac - these are ladies who have been wearing it for around 6 months and while I'm not at all convinced it's the Shellac, it's a hard discussion to have when, I agree, their nails were in good condition and now they aren't :/

Any thoughts or has this happened to any of your Shellac clients - like I say, it's just a handful, probably about 5 people in total.

PS, before anyone asks, I use ALL proper CND products, I fully scrub fresh beforehand and always use solar oil on their nails myself at the end - so it's not system related I don't think.

Are they really using solar oil daily? I recently soaked a clients shellac off and she text me the next day saying they felt dry and splitting and was it the shellac causing this! Considering I had seen them the day before and they weren't splitting at all... I told her to use her solar oil throughout the day, maybe 6/7 times and she text me 2 days later saying it had really done the trick and her nails were fine now!

are you removing it for them or are they peeling it off ?

Definately no buffing/filing? I think they're telling porkies with their solar oil usage ;)

Are you finding removal easy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you have to look very carefully at what you are doing during PEP and removal; those are the only two procedures where you or your clients can thin or damage nails .... Certainly wearing Shellac in itself cannot cause nails to become thin and weak. Only by removing layers of keratin can nails become thin and weak.

Layers of keratin are removed if you buff the surface of the natural nail (which should never be done by any technician) when preparing the nail for Shellac or after removal ...

OR layers of keratin can be removed if you buff the nail plate when removing the product, or are too aggressively using any kind of implement on the surface of the nails when removing product or cuticle from the nail plate. The whole process should be gentle and non-invasive. There should be no need to scrape or prod the product from the nail-plate if you are following all CND protocols. HTH

Great, thanks for the feedback guys x

Latest posts

Back