Counteracting red tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachaell

Reaction score
Hi
Just after a little advice. My friend has come to me asking for me to do her hair, she has a natural depth of about a 7 and roughly half an inch regrowth. She had high lights for a long time and then decided to use a box dye to go a dark red colour, this then faded and she was then a model at college and they used wella CT 5/5. She loved the colour but has realised red is a high maintenance colour and has now decided she wants to be brunette with just a 'hint' of red tone. Now from when I did my colour correction course I understand in order to counteract the red tones you need to add a mix tone - green. However she wants to keep some of the red tones. Would I be ok to use a tint with an ash tone to cover the faded red or would this cover the red too much or may be a 5/07 so natural with a subtle hint of brunette? Any colour suggestions welcome. Thank you :)

You will need to treat the regrowth differently otherwise you will just get a flat root!

Ash is blue so I would use that over red.

I find the green tones with just subdue some of the red leaving you with a rich brown.

You will need to treat the regrowth differently otherwise you will just get a flat root!

Ash is blue so I would use that over red.

I find the green tones with just subdue some of the red leaving you with a rich brown.

CG wella ash is grey u shud no dis!!!!!

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

/8 is blue isn't it?

It's getting late, all the arguing has done me in.

We were told on our course that ash has a hint of blue in it...I'm a newbie though, probably wrong!

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

/8 is blue isn't it?

It's getting late, all the arguing has done me in.

Yeah haha! In reply to the OP I agree with ColourGirly go with /1 which is ash so it'll only subdue the red rather than cancel it out which green mix tone will do.

We were told on our course that ash has a hint of blue in it...I'm a newbie though, probably wrong!

/9 which is 'soft ash cendre', is a mixture of blue and violet, which makes a minky colour. Maybe you're getting confused between true ash and cendre. But don't worry!

I wasn't saying don't use blue over red OMG just 💇🔫🙈

I wasn't saying don't use blue over red OMG just 💇🔫🙈

You're confusing me now😩 what is your intent⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

😁 well thank you both 😊 it is getting late. Rest your little geek heads, you'll have to do it all again tomorrow! Xx

😁 well thank you both 😊 it is getting late. Rest your little geek heads, you'll have to do it all again tomorrow! Xx

Haha. Are you training or fully qualified? Xx

Hi
Just after a little advice. My friend has come to me asking for me to do her hair, she has a natural depth of about a 7 and roughly half an inch regrowth. She had high lights for a long time and then decided to use a box dye to go a dark red colour, this then faded and she was then a model at college and they used wella CT 5/5. She loved the colour but has realised red is a high maintenance colour and has now decided she wants to be brunette with just a 'hint' of red tone. Now from when I did my colour correction course I understand in order to counteract the red tones you need to add a mix tone - green. However she wants to keep some of the red tones. Would I be ok to use a tint with an ash tone to cover the faded red or would this cover the red too much or may be a 5/07 so natural with a subtle hint of brunette? Any colour suggestions welcome. Thank you :)

You could do a special mix for the root of say 5.0 mixed with a smudge of red and just pop a flat 5 over the rest, it won't cover the red completly it'll be a deep brown with a hint of red..... See quite simples actually! 😂

I haven't got Level 3 unfortunately, I'm having to do intense short courses (which follow on from eachother) as the college I did level 2 at only offers level 3 for full time school leavers. The only option I have is the short (10 week made up of 2 evening and 1 Saturday) courses but it'll never be a full level 3 qualification as they don't run all the necessary units which make up the level 3 😔 it's guttering but I have to make the most out of a rubbish situation I suppose. X

You could do a special mix for the root of say 5.0 mixed with a smudge of red and just pop a flat 5 over the rest, it won't cover the red completly it'll be a deep brown with a hint of red..... See quite simples actually! 😂

Thank you! It sounds simple! I get the concept 😊

I haven't got Level 3 unfortunately, I'm having to do intense short courses (which follow on from eachother) as the college I did level 2 at only offers level 3 for full time school leavers. The only option I have is the short (10 week made up of 2 evening and 1 Saturday) courses but it'll never be a full level 3 qualification as they don't run all the necessary units which make up the level 3 😔 it's guttering but I have to make the most out of a rubbish situation I suppose. X

Why don't you just go on all of wellas courses? X

I would love to do wella courses just not sure how to go about it?

Thank you! It sounds simple! I get the concept 😊

Just take care when mixing or you'll end up with root flash! 🙈

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back