Counteracting Wella red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherscarlett

Reaction score
This is a question for one of the girls in the salon (I don't do her hair)
Her hair at the moment is a 66/44 and she has ombre, the ends being a level 9 caramel blonde
She wants to get rid of the red on the top and make it more ashy without affecting the ends. She also has about half an inch of level 7 re growth. A 5/81 illumina was applied but didn't really do anything and also didn't do much to her roots either. She would preferably like to remain a 6.

I don't think you are going to be able to get rid of the warmth without using a color removing product, like a bleach, or a color reducer. 5/81 is pearl ash: red (4) + blue (8) + ash (1) = violet ash.

You need green (2) to neutralize red, but know you have violet ash. To neutralize that you need 6/3. But I seriously doubt that will do anything but make a seriously ugly muck shade of brown.

I can't imagibe the 5/81 that was put on not darkening the root though, how was it mixed and applied?

I'd try to get it to a base 7 and use 7/81+5/81. Illumina.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah i thought it would need to be removed but they don't want to bleach it out 🙈 I will speak to them and get back to you As to how they applied it etc

Yeah i thought it would need to be removed but they don't want to bleach it out 🙈 I will speak to them and get back to you As to how they applied it etc

I'm just curious. Never had a problem with it. If they won't use bleach, then a color reducer is the only other alternative. It might work. I like the goldwell one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

Generally i like to remove as much red as i can to get it to orange as orange is easier neutralised than red.

View attachment 84091
I had to drop to a 4 to cover the red.

Used 4/1 I think with some more ash.. But can double check x

Thank you guys I'll let them know!

Latest posts

Back