Couple days room rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classychick

Reaction score
Hi ladies, has anyone rented a room for a couple of days a week while working part time else where. I am going to be taking on a room in a hairdressers on a Thursday and Saturday. I am doing this because basically I have no savings in order just to go for it fully, we have two kids and a mortgage so we can't afford to give me time to build it up. I have been mobile for quite a while and it's just getting to much physically, I really want to make a go of this place it's a beautiful salon I have access to their record cards to let customers know I am there (any advice on whether to text or mail) has anyone built their business like this, any advice on anything would be appreciated. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to rent a room just on a Monday along side my job in a spa, I found it a pain to book people in as I only had the one day to offer them so I was ending up still doing as much mobile as I was before and having to pay the rent aswell! I now have a room full time and its so much easier. I think if you have a good mobile client base they will understand and work with you to suit the days you have in the salon. The hairdressers client base will be a massive help, I now rent my room from a hairdressers and its brilliant cause their clients pop round before or after their hair appointment and I can advertise in the salon.
I'd say go for it! Good luck!! Xxx

Thank you I have said to myself the only way it will work is if I go for it fully but we just aren't in a financial position for me to lose my wage just now so basically am just sussing out how interested the clients will be. My mobile clients will not go with me because of the distance I am taking a room near a shopping centre which is only 20 minutes up the road but am hoping that if they go try somewhere else then they will soon come back I have accommodated them so much there pretty spoiled and they have said that if I take a room they would like it to be near but round our way it's saturated with room rentals everyone thinks am crazy to go outwith my local area. Any ideas on how to contact the hairdressers clients do you think I should text, email or mail? Xx

Sorry have only just seen your post!
Well even having your room part time would you then still have time to take on mobile clients around your other job for a bit of extra money?
I would send an email to all the hairdressing clients to let them know you are there. I also offered 10% off all treatments for the first month and it worked really well. I put the offer on the back of flyers and did a leaflet drop in the area which attracted quite a lot of people. There is no harm in sending a text the week after maybe, I find people respond to texts more than emails as they take more notice. And don't forget things like recommend a friend cards to get your name out there as your in a re area.
Hope this helps! Xxx

Sorry, but you can't use the Salon's existing client records to text their clients about your business.

I'm pretty certain that's still illegal even in Scotland unless the clients have expressly agreed that their data can be passed on to a third party. Both you and the Salon could get into trouble (fined etc.) if one of the clients decides to report the matter.

Alternative Options.

1. The Salon can contact everyone individually and them ask them to confirm they are happy to have their details passed on to you so that you can text them with offers etc or;

2. The salon can contact them directly about your services and offers.

Obviously, when hair clients visit the salon you can doorstep them and give them your card etc.

Good luck with your new venture!

I think that comment is a little over exaggerated! The email can be sent to the existing clients of the salon considering the beauty room is in the salon! The storage of the information is more important. .. paperwork of customers details should be kept in a locked cabinet at all times and computerised data must be password protected.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know it might sound a bit OTT but I used to work in this field before changing to Hair & Beauty.

The OP is a separate business entity and so is not allowed access to the salon's client records. It's irrelevant that they share physical space.

The DPA isn't just about basic record keeping and case law is developing in this area all the time. The Information Commssioner has made it clear that they will clamp down on businesses not complying with the law.

Does anyone recognise the amount of those awful PPI emails, texts, phone calls you continually get? ... seriously ...sending an email to customers in a salon about a beauty room in the same salon really is not going to make any difference at all. I think I'll send complaint letters to Tesco, Sainsbury's, Ann summers, insurance companies, National Lottery to name but a few. ... as for some reason I am inundated with rubbish emails for stores I've never been into.........I can go into a company on the Internet a buy your contact details. ..I find it hard to believe they would have the paperwork of all the millions of people where it stated they were happy to be added to their data base so there details could be sold. ....

Last edited:
The reason you get all this junk text emails us because sonewhere along the lines you gave ticked you agree to info given to 3rd party they then sell there database all above board. Normally its a tiny tick box most if us miss it .

I know of a friend who did this and only one person complained but she got fined 2k! It would have been 2k per complaint! She was very lucky x
Sent from my GT-I9205 using SalonGeek mobile app

Then I'm more than confident to say your friend did something more than send one email to one person at one time.

Then I'm more than confident to say your friend did something more than send one email to one person at one time.

No probs, I'm happy to accept your obvious legal expertise on the matter. ;-)

Lets not get all bogged down in a DPA debate.
AcidPerm is right, and that is the letter of the law.
OTT? absolutely! but Ignore DBA at your peril, more people get caught out with this in all walks of life and it is easier to prosecute because the evidence is easy to get.
In this instance I doubt clients would object, but it only takes 1!

OP to keep yourself right then the salon is best to email all their clients informing them of your imminent arrival and the services you will be providing, they can send emails on your behalf until you have built up your own database of clients.

Regarding part time hours, I now only work Thursday Friday and Saturdays and I am busy. I am based in a hairdressers and the majority of my clients are there clients. I didn't email any of them when I started The salon staff informed them I was starting and took appointments for me, then once I was there people booked direct with me linking their nail appointments in with their hair appointments.
Good Luck

Your thoughts are absolutely right about getting bogged down in a DPA debate Izzidoll.... clearly this is why I own business rather than work in them, however I understand that we are not all the same and that's what makes the world go round but I am beginning to find this site purely for people with little business acumen. I think this is purely down to my knowledge and no disrespect to anyone reading this post. I think my time here has come to an end. X

Your thoughts are absolutely right about getting bogged down in a DPA debate Izzidoll.... clearly this is why I own business rather than work in them, however I understand that we are not all the same and that's what makes the world go round but I am beginning to find this site purely for people with little business acumen. I think this is purely down to my knowledge and no disrespect to anyone reading this post. I think my time here has come to an end. X

This is an educational site, and yes a lot of our very talented and creative geeks do lack certain business skills, that is why we like to have salon owners and people with good business acumen participate, and give of their experience.

We can all learn something, and the best thing about this site is the eclectic mix of employed,self employed, mobile and salon based, owners and part timers, distributors and trainers, all coming together to let people see things from another point of view.
I'm sorry you feel you can't join in.

Maybe I should stick to looking at the pictures rather than reading and commenting. I like the pictures of nail art. .. some people are extremely talented and creative.

Rude! Im rather intelligent thank you and no she sent messages to people that she didnt have permission to do so.

Data protection perhaps you should read up on it!

Sent from my GT-I9205 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh this thread has went mad lol I was wondering what all the comments were lol. Well thanks girls I went in today and it is a beautiful salon, I am starting at the end of the month as I have mobile bookings that I want to honour I have emailed all my info over to the lady that runs there Facebook so am just going to push it I hope it goes well cause my partner won't let me go back into beauty if it doesn't lol. I like the 10% offer for the first month or so, any other ideas would be extremely helpful thanks xx

Hi classychick AcidPerm is right about the dpa as I work part time in a financial regulated industry and we have to adhere to dpa rules and re train each year to ensure we get it!

In relation to the room I work Saturday's and some Friday's in a hairdressers where I rent a room and a nail desk. I have printed up my price lists and put them up in the salon as well as put ssome on the coffee table in reception

I also post on their Facebook page which the owner has made me an admin for. When I get new clients from her ladies having their hair done and fill out a consultation card I ask for their email and that they are happy for me to send them emails of offers products etc etc -this way I have permission!

Im in a similar situation as in I work 3days in an office, mobile with the beauty and 1-2days in the salon. I've also got two kids and the rest of it so I know how you feel

Sorry.that was long lol:p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh dear. ...I disagree.

So then who's going to explain the freedom of speech act. .. freedom of information act. ... you would be sending one mail you are not disclosing health records, addresses or other people's email addresses. .. please.. really. ...!

Latest posts

Back