Covering grey with Wella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_95

Reaction score
I am having trouble covering grey hair with wella 6/3, last time I did it I left if for 30 mins and my client said her grey was coming through again after only 10 days!? Next time I will leave on for 40 mins but I'm not sure if I should add a base or not, and not sure which colour I should add as the base?? I have only just finished training so any advise on how I can cover the grey would be much appreciated :) thanks

I am having trouble covering grey hair with wella 6/3, last time I did it I left if for 30 mins and my client said her grey was coming through again after only 10 days!? Next time I will leave on for 40 mins but I'm not sure if I should add a base or not, and not sure which colour I should add as the base?? I have only just finished training so any advise on how I can cover the grey would be much appreciated :) thanks

Hi you need to be using a 66/0 mixed with the 6/3 for grey coverage, also I'm pretty sure wella development times are 45mins so I don't think your leaving it on long enough, what peroxide strength are you using?

Hi you need to be using a 66/0 mixed with the 6/3 for grey coverage, also I'm pretty sure wella development times are 45mins so I don't think your leaving it on long enough, what peroxide strength are you using?

Agree and yes its 45mins x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Agree use a double base aswell! Xx

Wella double base should not be mixed with anything else as this will take away the coverage. Tis an easy mistake to make as I used to do just that and wondered why it wasn't working as well as it should.
Development time for wella is 45 mins so sounds like you just need to leave it on longer or just add a quarter base (6/0) with your 6/3.
Good luck and happy colouring xx

Thanks for the replies, I am using 6% peroxide and I'll leave it on for 45 mins, in college we were told to add 10 mins onto the peroxide strength to get the development eg. 20 vol is 30 mins development time?? My tutor was pretty useless though

Thanks for the replies, I am using 6% peroxide and I'll leave it on for 45 mins, in college we were told to add 10 mins onto the peroxide strength to get the development eg. 20 vol is 30 mins development time?? My tutor was pretty useless though

Yeah she was crap! You should have no issues with wella apart from some can go a bit khaki...but easy to sort :) and you'll understand why soon when it all dinks in :) x

I have a much better tutor next year and we will be working with Wella more but I have a few clients at the moment to earn myself abit of money but I will defiantly leave it on longer and mix a base with it

What so 10vol would be 20 thats crazy lol z

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Just been a on wella course and you do not need to add base in with the colour for better coverage, All of there shades cover 100%.
Leave the colour on upto 1 hr and see if that makes a difference, and make sure that you are mixing it correctly ie measuring it, and use plenty of colour, I.e 3/4 of a tube or more.
Now if she as resistant grey use the double base 66/0 which cannot be mixed with other shades, but u can mix this with special mix so you can mix this with /33 generally you would mix 5cm with base 6, but has I've not tried it not sure how warm this would be. But take into account clients under tones , which will be orange so a 66/0 will be warm has the client natural undertone will be revealed and if she wants more warmth gold has said above add special mix.

Hi I don't mean to be rude but there's things I feel I should point out within your post

QUOTE=snaz;1582768]Just been a on wella course and you do not need to add base in with the colour for better coverage, All of there shades cover 100%.

If this was the case then the op wouldn't have asked the question, as the 6/3 she used didn't cover her clients grey 100%

Leave the colour on upto 1 hr and see if that makes a difference,

Wella colours STOP working after 45mins so not sure leaving it on for a hour would make any difference

and make sure that you are mixing it correctly ie measuring it, and use plenty of colour, I.e 3/4 of a tube or more.

I agree with mixing and measuring correctly but it depends on whether she was colouring regrowth roots or full head as to what amount she would use 30ml (half a tube) is sufficient for a regrowth application

Now if she as resistant grey use the double base 66/0 which cannot be mixed with other shades, but u can mix this with special mix so you can mix this with /33 generally you would mix 5cm with base 6, but has I've not tried it not sure how warm this would be. But take into account clients under tones , which will be orange so a 66/0 will be warm has the client natural undertone will be revealed and if she wants more warmth gold has said above add special mix.[/QUOTE]

The advice I have given is based on my use an knowledge of wella.

Color Touch Plus are fantastic for covering grey. My favourite 66/07 There range is also fab for foiling instead of a permanent color, grabs just as well as a permanent tint and gives great results to pre lightened hair. No pre pigging just apply.

Scissorz

Just been a on wella course and you do not need to add base in with the colour for better coverage, All of there shades cover 100%.
If this was the case then the op wouldn't have asked the question, as the 6/3 she used didn't cover her clients grey 100%

I was simply saying that all the colours are design to cover up to 100% grey hair, adding base to the the colour doesn't make it cover any better all this does is dilute the tone, But resistant grey hair is different this will not be covered with these that's why wella fetch in the double bases, which cannot be mixed with other colour ie 6/3 you have to mix with the special mix ie /33 if you want tone.

Leave the colour on upto 1 hr and see if that makes a difference,
Wella colours STOP working after 45mins so not sure leaving it on for a hour would make any difference

I was told by the wella technician this is not true, you can leave on that extra 15 min for better coverage and lift with high lifts. I was led to believe that they stopped but the technician says different.

and make sure that you are mixing it correctly ie measuring it, and use plenty of colour, I.e 3/4 of a tube or more. I agree with mixing and measuring correctly but it depends on whether she was colouring regrowth roots or full head as to what amount she would use 30ml (half a tube) is sufficient for a regrowth application

Yes in most cases 30ml would be enough but with grey and high lifts you have to be more generous. So I was trying to say don't apply sparse 30ml may be enough for one and not another. Just make sure you have enough product.

I had just come off a course that day, and I thought that I would pass on this info. All the points that u made to my comments are fair cause that's what I was taught but that was 18 yrs ago for me, may be they have changed it or it is something what the wella technician has picked up and it works for her and she wanted to share.

Last edited:
All the points that u made to my comments are fair cause that's what I was taught but that was 18 yrs ago for me, may be they have changed it or it is something what the wella technician has picked up and it works for her and she wanted to share.[/QUOTE]

They have most likely improved on their product since I was trained in wella also a good 12 years ago, I pointed out what I did as this is what I've tried an tested for years, so I think we both made valid comments, to my understanding high lift can be left on for 50mins, but the op wasn't asking about high lift, anyway as I say this may have been improved on since I trained.

I don't know how a trained tutor (word used loosely) could teach you that.
For future reference though each colour range have their own recommended development time. Always read the manufacturers instructions found inside the tint box x

I use 60ml for most of my regrowth apps, defo works better oif you apply more product, I dont think any of my clients, even with the finest of hair, could get away with using less than 45mls!
I would use 66/0 and 20vol for 40mins, then if u need it warmer maybe use a bit of mixtone:p

Thanks for everyone’s replies; I think I have learnt more on here about wella than in college, which is slightly worrying!! My tutor was even letting people who were really far behind pass colours on each other using conditioner, so some people who have passed don't even know how to mix a colour :eek:

Thanks for everyone’s replies; I think I have learnt more on here about wella than in college, which is slightly worrying!! My tutor was even letting people who were really far behind pass colours on each other using conditioner, so some people who have passed don't even know how to mix a colour :eek:

Omg. That's shocking.

The girls will probably end up going mobile as they'll find it hard to find a salon to take them on. They won't have a clue about colour and end up with complaints.

How can a college let someone down so bad? The girls are going to need more training or they'll end up giving up on hairdressing.

With training like that no wander people are doubtful of newly trained hairdressers

I would complain to someone, my tutor doesn't let us pass on each other as it's against the national rules, and you have to apply real colour to pass, like how a full head colour/bleach foils has to be one of the two, you can't use conditioner and pass a colour/bleach assessment, you may know how to apply it, but you go to school to learn the theory behind it too... that's just not right.

Last edited:
I would complain to someone, my tutor doesn't let us pass on each other as it's against the national rules, and you have to apply real colour to pass, like how a full head colour/bleach foils has to be one of the two, you can use conditioner and pass a colour/bleach assessment, you may know how to apply it, but you go to school to learn the theory behind it too... that's just not right.

Just so you know, this thread is some 5 years old, and the poster you've quoted hasn't logged on since 2013.

Latest posts

Back