Covering greys & highlighting using cap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimee Thomas

Reaction score
Hi Ya !!
So I am posting this thread as I just want a general view of other peoples opinions and processes that they would use.

So I have a client with dark brown hair (box dyed) to cover grey's. However now they would like a change , which is do able. They have left it up to me to throw some ideas at them so I was thinking highlights to just mix it up a bit but then I want to make sure greys are covered but I am using a cap not foils.

What are your opinions and which process would you use.

Thankyouuu X

Why are you using a cap?

why not ? I use a cap a lot ...

Can you highlight without the cap? If you can I would break up the colour with highlights all over or half head at least then paint between with base. This will cover the grey.
I think the person about is asking because caps are quite redundant now days.
What colour are they now and what are you hoping to acheive colour wise?

Yeah I can do without the cap and I know how you can do without but that’s why I just wanted to see if there was any one who could do with cap and what ways they would use ..... my client is dark brown at the moment x

I doubt many modern hairdressers would do it that way because of the hassle of covering the greys after. Good luck.

How long is her hair? I think the cap always leaves the hair looking very stripey, but with foils you can create softer, more modern looks.

I would paint the roots first, then go back through with some blonde in foiļs, then paint the ends.

I would do a full or half head of foils and flood between with your chosen colour :)

thank you all for your thoughts ..... x

Hi Ya !!
So I am posting this thread as I just want a general view of other peoples opinions and processes that they would use.

So I have a client with dark brown hair (box dyed) to cover grey's. However now they would like a change , which is do able. They have left it up to me to throw some ideas at them so I was thinking highlights to just mix it up a bit but then I want to make sure greys are covered but I am using a cap not foils.

What are your opinions and which process would you use.

Thankyouuu X
Trying to think outside the box here , could you do cap highlights (if that's your preferred method ) then after processing, you could then create a root blend. You can paint your root colour on to cover the grey, then blend that into a toner on the mid lengths and ends. Gives a new look to the hair, with out major upkeep just touch up the roots and refresh the toner ever once in a while. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back