Crazy color home dye nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsparker78

Reaction score
I have a on and off again client the has been doing her own color for about a year now. She is a base 6. She has been using a red violet ion shade permanent color from sallys and topping it off with a hodge podge of direct dyes.

Now she wants to go a level 7 turquoise/natural 6 ombre.

I was shocked when I saw her because it looks like the repeated application of the permanent color has really lightened her hair. Maybe to a 9 even, but its hard to tell under all the direct dye.

I plan on taking cuttings and doing incompatibility tests.

I plan on having her stop the direct dyes and start using clarifying shampoo and deep conditioning treatments.

Then I'll go in with a color reducer and see what I've got.

I suspect that i will have to follow the reducer with either bleach or clear permanent color. Anyone have any suggestions for the above?

A colour reuducer won't touch a direct dye. You will need to remove that first.

A very mild bleach and water mixture would be best to remove tone but to shift the depth I would follow with your reducer then lighten if needs be. Another option would be to use a the permanent clear with 20 volume.

Try and get you client to start using hot water to wash her hair with an anti dandruff shampoo to help remove excess colour.

I have a on and off again client the has been doing her own color for about a year now. She is a base 6. She has been using a red violet ion shade permanent color from sallys and topping it off with a hodge podge of direct dyes.

Now she wants to go a level 7 turquoise/natural 6 ombre.

I was shocked when I saw her because it looks like the repeated application of the permanent color has really lightened her hair. Maybe to a 9 even, but its hard to tell under all the direct dye.

I plan on taking cuttings and doing incompatibility tests.

I plan on having her stop the direct dyes and start using clarifying shampoo and deep conditioning treatments.

Then I'll go in with a color reducer and see what I've got.

I suspect that i will have to follow the reducer with either bleach or clear permanent color. Anyone have any suggestions for the above?
Hi tsparker,ive recently been following a pravana forum that have come across this.They say ion are dreadful to get out,they use Malibu C. I think its DDL, CPR. And its readily available in the states apparently. They do Olaplex in between then if they need to permanent clear after all those. Hope this helps.

Definitely try some strand tests inc. a clear. I've never used the Malibu direct dye remover so I'd be interested in learning whether it does actually work.

As you know, if the hair has been tinted with a permanent repeatedly, it will have lifted the natural and it will also be very porous.

As she's been re-applying vibrant direct dyes, I'm guessing it's probably stained the porous hair and I'd be very surprised if any product can fully remove a direct dye stain.

Get it as light as you can without compromising it too much and then try your Ombré mix. I'd also try to persuade her to stick to a 6 (natural) rather than the 7 and then the re-growth won't be so obvious.
Goldwell Elumen has a lovely Turquoise. :)

Thank ya'll. The malibu c makes sense, certainly as a first step. I will make some tests. Honestly, even with olaplex, I'll be surprised if what she wants is possible. But I will try

Thank ya'll. The malibu c makes sense, certainly as a first step. I will make some tests. Honestly, even with olaplex, I'll be surprised if what she wants is possible. But I will try
Good luck if anyones a magician you are :D

Aww. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back