Critique please on my first ever L&P P/W Sculpts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
Please could you give me a critique on my first ever L+P pink and white sculpts. I did these as part of my Level 3 Nails Services assessment on Wednesday night. I completed the application in 1 hour 40 minutes.

I know that they are far from perfect and there is always room for improvement but the things that hit me in the face when I look at the images are:

• The smile lines are not crisp enough and some are inconsistent with other smile lines.
  • The whites look a little bulbous on some nails (I didnt see this at the time otherwise I would have filed them a little more)
  • They don't look very shiny on the picture, but they are in person.
The smile lines are not deep as the model would not have wanted deep smile lines.

Thanks in advance!

anne xx

Attachments

• Alison_PWSculpt_9_June_B.jpg
    Alison_PWSculpt_9_June_B.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 132
I think your timing was great, well done!

The main thing to stand out for me personally is to tidy up the sidewalls just a little more.... ( could be the photo angle )

You have critiqued yourself too...so I think that is all I want to critique...:lol:

For a first ever sculpts I think they are good....mine were like doorstop wedges I had to file for about 3 days!!!!

Well done xx

I think your timing was great, well done!

The main thing to stand out for me personally is to tidy up the sidewalls just a little more.... ( could be the photo angle )

You have critiqued yourself too...so I think that is all I want to critique...:lol:

For a first ever sculpts I think they are good....mine were like doorstop wedges I had to file for about 3 days!!!!

Well done xx

Ok so don't critique own work, new to this, only my second critique. Just thought I'd mention where I thought I had gone wrong, hehe.

Seeing my model tommorow so I'll take my trusty file and neaten them side walls.

anyone else?

anne xx

I can't add anymore than what's been said exept to say you should be very proud of yourself, I've seen a lot worse than this come out of some local salons from techs with years of so called experience.
well done
:hug:

Ok so don't critique own work, new to this, only my second critique. Just thought I'd mention where I thought I had gone wrong, hehe.

Seeing my model tommorow so I'll take my trusty file and neaten them side walls.

anyone else?

anne xx

Gosh no I didn't mean you shouldn't critique your own work....I just meant I didn't need to say anything else.
Of course you can critique your own work that way you don't have to have everyone listing things you already know....

Like Del says I think you have done great.....:hug:

Some look a little flat but that could be the pic....and the angle of the little finger nail seems to dip downwards....??? and i think a little less white/length would improve the look of these but thats just personal choice.

For your first go they ain't bad at all.....well done.

Gosh no I didn't mean you shouldn't critique your own work....I just meant I didn't need to say anything else.
Of course you can critique your own work that way you don't have to have everyone listing things you already know....

Like Del says I think you have done great.....:hug:

oops sorry got wrong end of stick :smack: lol, I'm new to critiques never really felt brave enough before!!

Thanks for all your comments, I'm seeing my model today so i'll note down all your comments and have a good old scrutiny, see if there's any pesky lifting too!!

thanks again guys :hug: :hug:

anne xx

Well done Anne,

a) The length of the nails are a nice active length
b) I would have less depth in the whites, so that the nail looks more elongated.
c) The sidewalls - the extension needs to come straight out from the natural side wall line
d) The lower arch - these are inconsistant. Make sure your lower arch comes straight out from your natural sidewall line.
e) Apex - this should be located half way between the cuticle line and the extension edge - on most nails you have your apex closer to where the pink and white meet.
How to correct - 1. place your zone 2 bead a little further back
2. when finish filing, file forward from half way - thus creating an apex.
f) not symmetrical
How to correct - look down the barrel of the nail and place your index finger over the top of the enhancement. This will make it easier for you to see the highs and lows of your application, file to correct.
When finish filing always look at the nail from 3 angles
1. birds eye view - you can clearly see the outline of the enhancement
2. side view - so that you can see the placement of the apex and refine accordingly
3. down the barrel - to check for even symmetry of the enhancement.

the use of the "line of light" will also be invaluable to you, watch the line of light as you move the finger, if it breaks or goes off on a funny angle, recheck 1,2,3, above and refine further.

I admire you for critiquing your own work, it is the best way to learn.
You have done well and your timing is great. Keep up the good work and I trust that the above critique helps you.:)

Well done Anne,

a) The length of the nails are a nice active length
b) I would have less depth in the whites, so that the nail looks more elongated.
c) The sidewalls - the extension needs to come straight out from the natural side wall line
d) The lower arch - these are inconsistant. Make sure your lower arch comes straight out from your natural sidewall line.
e) Apex - this should be located half way between the cuticle line and the extension edge - on most nails you have your apex closer to where the pink and white meet.
How to correct - 1. place your zone 2 bead a little further back
2. when finish filing, file forward from half way - thus creating an apex.
f) not symmetrical
How to correct - look down the barrel of the nail and place your index finger over the top of the enhancement. This will make it easier for you to see the highs and lows of your application, file to correct.
When finish filing always look at the nail from 3 angles
1. birds eye view - you can clearly see the outline of the enhancement
2. side view - so that you can see the placement of the apex and refine accordingly
3. down the barrel - to check for even symmetry of the enhancement.

the use of the "line of light" will also be invaluable to you, watch the line of light as you move the finger, if it breaks or goes off on a funny angle, recheck 1,2,3, above and refine further.

I admire you for critiquing your own work, it is the best way to learn.
You have done well and your timing is great. Keep up the good work and I trust that the above critique helps you.:)

Wow, what a fabulous critique, than you for taking the time to analyse my work and typing it all down. Much appreciated :) I am going to print it all off and when I see my model today (didnt see her yesterday after all) I am going to have a right old nosy.

One thing I am pleased to update is apparently there is no lifting, I will take some photos and add them to my album.

Thank you again :hug:

anne xx

My pleasure Anne, and trust all goes well today.:)

Latest posts

Back