Cruelty free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm hoping to market my salon as cruelty free and need some advice, a lot of products market themselves as not tested on animals such as bio and Cnd, but do they use animal by-products? I've spoke to Nsi and Bio and they all confirmed as not testing on animals but they couldn't deny if there were animals in the products themselves. They offered me the ingredients list for all their products but after looking through they are all the usual scientific chemical type names that I wouln't have a clue where to start and I'm a bit disappointed that the people who sell/manufacture the products can't give me an answer and they are the people that should know. I've been told that shellac has animal products in it but would love to know for definate as I couldn't possibly market a product as cruelty free if an animal has suffered for it. I know its not a common question but any help would be lovely. X

Last edited:
Spa ritual are the only company I can think of that are animal cruelty free they're also vegan 😊 xx

Nubar are 100% cruelty free and vegan. It's one of the main reasons I went with gelicure.

NSI's spa ritual range is vegan. I dunno about their gels.

CND dont test and shellac is vegan. But they are owned by revlon who do currently animal test.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is it true that companies that sell to China have to animal test their products to be able to sell to China or is that a myth ?

Thanks for the replies, ive looked up shellac and it is vegetarian but not vegan. Ive heard of spa ritual but I wasn't sure if they do gels. It is true that any product sold in China legally has to be tested in aninals which is why I no longer use Mac. Im going to check out gelicure but I'd love to hear about Nsi, bio and vinylux by CNDxx

Shellac is the excretement of little bugs I believe. Therefore vege but not vegan! However I'm not sure how much they can guarantee they are only scraping up the excretement and not the bugs with it!!! But yes def not vegan in any case x

Shellac is the excretement of little bugs I believe. Therefore vege but not vegan! However I'm not sure how much they can guarantee they are only scraping up the excretement and not the bugs with it!!! But yes def not vegan in any case x

😂lol

Is it true that companies that sell to China have to animal test their products to be able to sell to China or is that a myth ?

It is true. Chinese law requires all beauty products to be submitted for animal testing.

Shellac is also a term for wood resin. That is the process your post refers to.

Shellac the power polish is a chemical product & vegetarian. No bugs harmed in its making:lol:

Rubbish!

Shellac is also a term for wood resin. That is the process your post refers to.

Shellac the power polish is a chemical product & vegetarian. No bugs harmed in its making:lol:

But are there any other animals in it? Its vege and no vegan for a reason x

But are there any other animals in it? Its vege and no vegan for a reason x

I stand corrected & someone with more knowledge in this field states it is vegan not vegetarian as I had thought. So no animal content of any kind.

I think you would struggle being cruelty free & stocking a Revlon brand. Revlon do A LOT of animal testing & could in no way be considered cruelty free. So whilst it would be interesting to know what was in shellac in my eyes it is not a cruelty free product & cnd is not a cruelty free brand.

Cruelty free is a real minefield. So many companies don't want to be transparent about this issue & so many are owned by parent companies who get up to bad things it is hard to keep current.

We use Jessica in salon & they have the leaping bunny on their products. They are on Peta's list of ethical beauty brands. I *think* zoya is also vegan?

Last edited:
!! Maybe the wood resin contains or may contain the excretement that I've heard of then. That's why it's not vegan. Perhaps they can't guarantee that no animal products are in it! Which they prob can't if it comes from nature. They use shellac in foods too and you'll find they say vegetarian not vegan then as well. I'm pretty sure..

CND Shellac is vegan. It has nothing to do with beetle resin, it's just a brand name.

CND confirmed to me that there are no animal ingredients in Shellac.

I am glad I didn't go with them though now I know they're owned by revlon.

We use Jessica in salon & they have the leaping bunny on their products. They are on Peta's list of ethical beauty brands. I *think* zoya is also vegan?

Jessica is CF and vegan (polishes and Geleration, I don't know about other products).

Zoya polishes are vegan.

!! Maybe the wood resin contains or may contain the excretement that I've heard of then. That's why it's not vegan. Perhaps they can't guarantee that no animal products are in it! Which they prob can't if it comes from nature. They use shellac in foods too and you'll find they say vegetarian not vegan then as well. I'm pretty sure..

I really do think you should educate yourself a little bit more because you are talking absolute piffle.

Google is a great resource. The answers are at your fingertips. You are talking about utterly different products that are in no way connected.

Excuse me don't patronise me that's very rude. Apologies if I am wrong but no need for that. I'm glad that nail shellac is vegan so I'm glad that's been answered.

Stating that someone is wrong is neither patronising nor rude. You'll note I have also stated I was wrong earlier in the same thread.

I do think there is a lot to be said for a little research/understanding prior to posts though rather than just guessing & surmising.

Apologies for hurting your feelings :hug:

Just the bit saying I should educate myself! But no I know I thought I was right as had previously looked this up. But you're right don't want to give wrong info. Still I don't want to overtake this thread sorry everyone!! Xx

Ohhhhh nooooooo. Why did someone have to post this thread?! I have been taking note of all the reputable brands I want to stock for my home salon after licensing...now that the animal topic has been brought up I may have to reconsider. I love animals! :Scared:
CND is vegan but it is owned by Revlon which does much animal testing ..what do I dooooo.. :Scared::Scared: This just threw my plans off track for a moment lol

Latest posts

Back