Cruise ship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarLouise

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on working for a Cruise line? Has anyone on here ever worked on one? I've heard things like no breaks and no pay if you don't hit targets?! :eek:
X
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My friend worked on a cruise ship I think it were steiner she hated it. She was working 12-14hours aday. You do get breaks but the food were crap and you didn't always get tips on your bill as some people would opt out of tipping and tips are so important as the cruise salary is not much. its very retail based so they do want you to sell ALOT of hair care and beauty products to customers. She shared another room with a worker who worked in a perfume shop so she didn't like that as she wanted her own privacy. And plus she never got to see much of the world as you were working so many hours you was exhausted and just wanted sleep.

I worked on one for 7 years. Not in a beauty capacity but in the excursion office. Did live in the same corridor as the Steiner girls and boys and they do work hard. They have to retail a lot and it is long hours. But like most jobs on ships, including mine you do it for the experience and seeing the world.
It's amazing
Vicki x

I worked as a hairstylist/manicurist on board a luxury cruise ship a good few years ago now. I was lucky, my 'boss' became my best friend, so between us, we worked the shift's fairly, so we got plenty of 'free time' ashore.
All staff, from the bottom, to the top, the entertainers, chef's, waiter's.....(mainly Norweigon, French, English and American), were so friendly and kind.
The money wasn't brilliant, but that was not why I did it. I simply had the best time. :D

I worked on the ships about 7 Yesrs ago now, all my friends had amazing experiences but sadly I didn't enjoy it and came home :( if you're confident on retailing it's ideal. I didn't get to see much of anything as I was doing mainly massage from 7am till 10/11pm some days. I'd never say to anyone "don't do it" as you could be like my friends who had a ball! My attitude was if I never do it I'll always think what if. Go for it ;)

This was something I really wanted to do in my late teens, my mother gave me every bad story, fact or made up, on the planet, totally put me off, burst my bubble and I didn't do it.

My friends did do it and had an amazing time, one of my biggest regrets, I wasn't mentally strong enough at that time in the battle of wits with her, she burst my bubble.

Grab every opportunity life throws at you!! If you don't like it, don't do it again. Simples :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

If I was 18 would I do it, yes!

Anyone else on here whos worked on the cruisr ships? :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I worked on ships, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I lasted 6 months, but it's defiantly worth as go, it is an amazing experience and you get to see some really cool places! I was in Aisa never been but loved seeing Thailand Singapore Japan And Hong Kong.
The main problem with me was 100% of the guests on ship were Chinese so there was a huge language barrier! As I don't speak a word of it! So it was very hard for me to retail, and to get clients in the first place!
I was very miserable as my manager was on my back a lot, it was great seeing different places and all but I realised it wasn't worth me being that miserable. Plus I was super homesick and really missed my ponies!

Oh no :-( hope this doesnt happen to me. I dont speak chinese 😂

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope it doesn't!

I worked on ships, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I lasted 6 months, but it's defiantly worth as go, it is an amazing experience and you get to see some really cool places! I was in Aisa never been but loved seeing Thailand Singapore Japan And Hong Kong.
The main problem with me was 100% of the guests on ship were Chinese so there was a huge language barrier! As I don't speak a word of it! So it was very hard for me to retail, and to get clients in the first place!
I was very miserable as my manager was on my back a lot, it was great seeing different places and all but I realised it wasn't worth me being that miserable. Plus I was super homesick and really missed my ponies!

Was the pay any good?

Was the pay any good?

If you hit your targets then yes it's awesome, Americans give big tips! Basically if you work hard it pays off, if not it's minimum wage. Although it is tax free!

Before I had kids I went on lots of cruises and always had beauty treatments and talked to the staff. Yes, they were squeezed into the cabins, little time off, hard work, didn't get to see daylight while ship was at sea (unless the salon was on upper deck). On Cunard ships the tips were included in the bill, there was a staff hierarchy and salon staff were about middle to high, food was good so putting on weight sometimes a problem. Best thing: got to see the world and saved money.

Latest posts

Back