Crushed shell?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2987

Reaction score
Hello all,

my name is Sue and I'm new to the group.

I'm a Brit expat living in the Netherlands and my nailtech and I love nothing better than spending a couple of hours on my nails. We are both really creative, but unfortunately I'm the only client she has that allows her to "play" with different nail designs.

I have a question.

She uses a type of stone to create designs on my nails that I really love, but don't know what it's called. She just calls them stones. I can describe them in two ways:

* First, imagine dropping a glass or crystal bowl. (Please do not try this to get a more visual picture.) Once you pick up the large pieces there are always those little shards that you have to be careful of (and always find 2 weeks later when you tread on one). That's what these stones look like in sizes and shape...shards of glass, from tiny to a max of about 3-4mm and mostly slither thin.

* Second, the shards come in a variety of pastel shades that resemble mother of pearl to look at and reflect the light in wonderful tones of colour.

Another supplier I asked about them said they sounded like crushed shell and that description actually fits except that although the pieces are quite small, they aren't crushed to a powder but look a bit more like chips of shell.

I hope all of this helps you visualize what I'm after and someone can help me find out what this stuff is so I can get some. If anyone can actually supply these stones, I'm interested in about 6 pots in pastel shades.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. You can either reach me here or mail me at [email protected]

Sue.

They definately sound like crushed shells.

You can get them from NSI, they stock them in many shades like, white, pink blue, purple, lilac and i think green as well.

If you do a search on here for suppliers you will get the NSI website on there.

Hi,

thank you so, so much! I just took a look at the NSI site and hat's exactly it! You have absolutely made my weekend because I have been looking for this stuff for months!

I honestly can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my question. I'm not a nailtech myself, just a very avid and creative client. So it's really nice to find a forum where I can ask questions and you guys with all the experience can help.

Thanks again,
Sue.

Hi im new to nail geek n the inernet! N i cant get onto this NSI website ur talking about! Do i have to go out ov nail geek? Help x

The website is www.nsinails.co.uk!! Enjoy I use thier balance gel and lots more :green:

Hi all,

it's me again with another question (or two).

OK, now I've been introduced to NSI and found the crushed shells. The only thing is that when I add it to my shopping cart, nowhere does it tell me how much of the product I am actually buying, e.g. a 100g, 150g or 200g package etc. Does anyone happen to know the quantity they sell the crushed shells in?

Also, does anyone know a good source for those small jars that can screw together to form a single column? That seems the best way to store the shells.

Thanks in advance,
Sue.

Have to say i don't think you get a regular quantity, i think it varies slightly depending on colour. I personally prefer the lilac or purple or pink for shades. The white does have a tendancy to look dirty sometimes so think about that when ordering.

As for the pots that screw together i think you can get them from ebay, but there again there is bound to be someone on here that sells them. Good luck.

Hi,

I think that may just be the strangest thing I've ever heard. All the colors are the same price, but how much you get depends on the color you order. I am going to call them tomorrow and find out for sure, so I'll let you know right after I do.

What a way to do business...

Imagine... "Yes madam, all the Ford Fiesta's are the same price...but the red ones come without brakes, the blue ones come without a fan belt, the green ones have no steering and the black ones come without seats."

My, my, my...

suej_be said:
Also, does anyone know a good source for those small jars that can screw together to form a single column? That seems the best way to store the shells.
Hiya,
You can buy the clear stack pots in most craft shops. I bought mine from my local garden centre as they have a small craft section.
Stack of six pots was three pounds.
Hth.

suej_be said:
Hi,

I think that may just be the strangest thing I've ever heard. All the colors are the same price, but how much you get depends on the color you order. I am going to call them tomorrow and find out for sure, so I'll let you know right after I do.

I think i worded it wrong, but have found they never seem to hold the same amount. Some i have bought are quite full but others have only seemed to be half full. I would still be interested in what they say though as its not clear how much you get or how many sets you get from a pot roughly.

Hope this makes better sense.:o

Hi,

I just talked with NSI and also another UK supplier (creativenailplace.com) about the quantity of shells you get. Guess what? No one knows. Most vague answer was, "I don't know, it's just a little pot" and most helpful answer was, "It's done by weight". I say that was the most helpful because at least we know that all the colors are in fact measured the same and have the same weight. That answer was from NSI, however what that weight is still remains a mystery.

Tara at absolutenailshop.com is also looking into getting some shells in a week or so, so I'll see what she says when I talk to her.

The mystery continues...

By the way, I was looking in the gallery and I'm going to ask my nailtech if I can post some of her stuff. You won't believe what she gets up to. She made a butterfly out of gel. An actual 3D butterfly to sit on the nail. She creates a design of leaves on the nail using color gel or acrylic and then sits the butterfly on top and fixes it with gel. Of course it's not something you would have for everyday. You would have to be very careful because one good thwack would break your finger before that thing came off. But for my wedding for example, she mixed a particular shade of eye shadow with some gel to get the exact color of my outfit, then she used some metal roses and rhinestones to create the design, which was slightly different on each finger.

I live in the Netherlands, got married in Scotland and honeymooned in the US, and I think I had to explain those nails at just about every stage of the journey through all the airports and at almost every restaurant and store we went visited. You guys would love her. I'll see if I can get some of her pics.

I'm going to see if she can use the crushed shells and gel to create a butterfly with a kind of mosaic for its wings. I'll have it put on my wedding ring finger and I'll definitely take a picture of that one for you.

Cheers,
Sue.

Wow, that sounds so cool. Definitely have her get her pictures on the board. I (and I am sure the rest of us) would love to see them. Can't wait!!

Keri

Latest posts

Back