Cuccio gel not curing-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyByBecca

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to all this! Currently working my way through my level 2 course in Nail Technology.

I'm having trouble with my Gel Polish application.

Currently I use Cuccio Veneer, and use the Edge UV LED Lamp 12w. According to the manufacturers instructions it should take 30 seconds to cure each layer?

However I have found it actually takes me a minute to cure each layer and actually 2 minutes for topcoat!. I am applying the layers very thin as instructed. The problem is that if I apply it any thinner the polish is so sheer it's almost invisible and I think it would take me about 10 layers to get an 'opaque' look. (Does this make sense?)
In saying that, I do apply topcoat much thicker than the other layers.

Could the problem be with my lamp perhaps? Do you think there is a real problem here as it seems to be way off the manufacturers instructions? Any advice would be appreciated or if anyone has any experience with Cuccio Veneer/ The Edge lamps?:(

I'm just worried because I've been told so many horror stories about the dangers of under curing and over curing etc, and I just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

Thanks everyone!

x

Yes I'd suggest it is your lamp.

I use Cuccio and have never had any issues with it curing. Some colours give coverage in one coat although I always use 2. The colour coats need thoroughly stirred before use too

I would suggest it's the wattage of your lamp that is needing more time to cure. The cnd led lamp is 36watts & still requires 1min to cure colour/top coat x

UV curing has always been 2 minutes, LED is 30seconds so I suspect that is your issue.

Thanks Ciderella, I did hear that the polishes need stirring but I just try and mix them with the brush before I use them, but I've just looked it up and realised you can buy an actual 'stir mixing tool' so I might try that, and if still no good I might have to look at getting a new lamp.

Thanks Trinity my lamp is LED as far as I'm aware? On the packaging it says UV LED lamp which is slightly confusing but as far as I'm aware it is LED. Inside it looks like an LED lamp.

Can anyone recommend a good lamp? Which ones do you use?

It's advisable to use the UV lamp (or LED-UV lamp) recommended by the gel manufacturer. There is a huge difference in the UV brightness of different lamps and this will affect if a product cures correctly or not. Also bear in mind that 36W only means how much electrical power a lamp consumes; if you test 10 different 36W UV lamps, they will all have different levels of UV brightness. Suppliers who claim their UV lamp will cure all gels, don't understand product chemistry.

Thanks @BobSweden. I'll admit I have found it all a little confusing when it comes to different lamps! but that does make a lot of sense actually and has really helped with my understanding of how different lamps work. :)

With that in mind, I guess it probably would be best to go with their own lamp then in order to get the best results.

Thanks for your help. :)

Thanks Ciderella, I did hear that the polishes need stirring but I just try and mix them with the brush before I use them, but I've just looked it up and realised you can buy an actual 'stir mixing tool' so I might try that, and if still no good I might have to look at getting a new lamp.

Thanks Trinity my lamp is LED as far as I'm aware? On the packaging it says UV LED lamp which is slightly confusing but as far as I'm aware it is LED. Inside it looks like an LED lamp.

Can anyone recommend a good lamp? Which ones do you use?
Stirring then will make a huge difference, even use an orange wood stick or another tool until you get a stirrer. I bought a polish shaker and although expensive it's very effective.

Stirring then will make a huge difference, even use an orange wood stick or another tool until you get a stirrer. I bought a polish shaker and although expensive it's very effective.

Great, thank you! I read a post recently on here about polish shakers actually and I looked in to that as lots of people were recommending them. A little bit pricey for me at the moment, because I've found setting up to be quite costly any way, but I definitely think I will look in to that in the future.

I've contacted Cuccio and they are offering a sort of 'start up set' where you get 24 gels with free matching polishes and it includes the stirrer and various other bits and pieces like soak off solution etc. But they are also offering a deal with the Cuccio max pro 2 lamp with the gel set, so I think I am going to opt for that package. :)

Latest posts

Back