Curl formers - how long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnx

Reaction score
I'm over from nail forum. Just washed my 10 yo daughter's hair and am planning on putting in curlformers ready for tomorrow morning.

She has Afro waist-length hair that I've put into buns to tame until we're ready to start, how long should it take to dry and set? Could I use a cool dryer on them to speed it up once they're in??

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377595776.184970.jpg

Tia x

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi is your daughter mixed race or black from the photo I the hair looks like it would be curly more than black Afro. Can you tell me what sort of hair it is first

You might not need to use the curl formers depending on what the hair is like. Is it chemically relaxed , loose curled tight curled, Afro ?

Hi is your daughter mixed race or black from the photo I the hair looks like it would be curly more than black Afro. Can you tell me what sort of hair it is first

Hi littlemissm

She's black, but yes it's quite curly rather than kinky and it's natural. I liked the idea of curlformers as no heat was required and she'd end up with more body. Usually if we want curls, I just use thin or medium ghds, but don't like doing it too often.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377605869.738406.jpg

Tia x

Have you tried winding her hair in sections around your finger wind tight then take your finger out. This gives a lovely curl or if you want to use the curl formers have hair slightly damp spray with with Afro holding spritz & leave in till dry do you have access to a hood dryer if so a low heat setting to help dry would be ok. I saw on your profile you are greater london where are you if you are near menu could pop over with my hood dryer to help.

Have you tried winding her hair in sections around your finger wind tight then take your finger out. This gives a lovely curl or if you want to use the curl formers have hair slightly damp spray with with Afro holding spritz & leave in till dry do you have access to a hood dryer if so a low heat setting to help dry would be ok. I saw on your profile you are greater london where are you if you are near menu could pop over with my hood dryer to help.

Thanks hon, I've tried wrapping around my finger then pinning it, but that takes ages.

I got a soft hood with the curl formers, so will try that out. I'm in crystal palace today.

Will let you know how I get on - thanks for the advice xx

The morning after curlformers. Haven't teased it yet, but am happy with the result - it's so bouncy. Xx

The morning after curlformers. Haven't teased it yet, but am happy with the result - it's so bouncy. Xx

Your daughter is beautiful :) Have you got an after picture ? My cousins bought the curl formers x

Your daughter is beautiful :) Have you got an after picture ? My cousins bought the curl formers x

Thank you, keep getting an error when trying to upload, saying it's not a valid image. I'll try again. The curlformers are great though ;) x

Hopefully this works...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4,393
Nice, surprised how smooth the curls look thought they'd end up really frizzy,

How long did you leave them in?

How did you achieve the curls in 2nd pic? They are fab x

Nice, surprised how smooth the curls look thought they'd end up really frizzy,

How long did you leave them in?

How did you achieve the curls in 2nd pic? They are fab x

Separated her hair into quarters, then divided each quarter into approx 10, spraying and saturating each curlformer section of hair with water and coating with a half pea size of kera care silken seal before pulling through. Left in overnight and took out this morning. Some of the sections of hair were too long for the extra long curlformers, so I just added the shorter ones to the ends! She was very pleased, as was I. I'm guessing we could have achieved the same result by sitting under a dryer instead of leaving overnight? I like that it didn't require heat though.

Now I'm concerned about how I'm going to comb out all those curls, as I later split all the curls, which gave a beautiful fuller bouncy finish. Far more natural looking than GHDs.

Edited to add: in the second pic of this thread (in red coat), I got those curls with medium GHDs. The last pic above is with the curlformers. Xx

Last edited:
They look so nice. How did you do it ? Did you do the way I said?

They look so nice. How did you do it ? Did you do the way I said?

Thanks littlemissm, almost, although didn't use the spritz and saturated the hair to smooth it, but it worked. Spritz makes my hair dry and my scalp itchy. It's do soft without it, however, her hair is like half the length now. Xx

Latest posts

Back