How long for Bridal Hair? (not an updo)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, been waaaaaay too many years since I worked in the salon...
But this afternoon, I went to book my hairdressing appointment for my wedding.

My wedding is at 3pm, 10min from my home.
Meaning, I'll leave likely at 2:30/2:45.
My dress is easy to put on. My makeup, doing myself and doesn't take long at all.

They want me at the salon (also 5min from my home) for 11am:eek: or earlier if possible:!:
All I want is a shampoo, blown dry, sides up, big/medium barrel loose curls tousled everywhere. I can do this myself in 45min. I don't want to head over too early, and then have hair fall if it's humid out (which is possible June 21st)
My MOH (maid of honour) is only getting a simple french braid (mind you, her hair reaches her butt and SUPER thick!). I will BET her hair will take longer than my own.

Do any of you think that 10am is way too early, because it feels like it to me?

(PS: I'm not the sort to run like a crazy chicken when getting ready to go out. I'm very systematic and when I know what I'm wearing blah blah, it literally takes me MAX of 20min to get dressed and put my face on)

(PSS: I ALSO am doing my daughter's hair and don't want to do it before I go out because they'll mess it up, so I want to leave them for the last minute. Just putting their sides up, very simple and very little girl)

Last edited:
Hi, Good luck for your forth coming wedding. No I don't think your hair appointment is to early. Just right, gives you plenty of time to sort out everything else. I know Montreal is humid on June 21st, but do you think that with plenty of spray it will stay in.?

Not sure... my hair tends to 'frizz' with humidity. Hence why I won't even dare to try wearing it straight. why fight with the natural wave, better to work "with" it, RIGHT?

That's my other concern...
I'd much rather save my hair for last, RIGHT BEFORE I get ready, so it CAN'T fall/frizz right before the ceremony. It has fallen before.... at my best friend's wedding. Went from super curly to wavey.:irked: (and frizzy)

Hi, Victoria I know you are the arty type
and if you are confident about doing your own hair which I know how much you take good care of it,
would you consider doing it yourself ? :hug: x

I am not a hairdresser just trying to help. Could you maybe get those large rollers in and then take out yourself before your wedding. I also have long hair and wanted it curled for my wedding but have the same problem as yourself. I also got married at 3 but went to hairdresser at 9. She done her stuff, put up and clipped at sides, curled back and sides with ghd and then put large rollers in the curls. Am I explaining this ok? She then clipped in my small tiara and off I went home. I carried on with everything else, not hurried, not rushed, not worried about time (had plenty). Amazing how many neighbours call in, phone rings with congrats from relatives abroad etc. Near the time I got dressed and took rollers out last, ran my fingers lightly through and voila! :)

Have you thought about going for a trial run for your hair?, even though you know what you want , you could ask to be booked in about 10 or 11 and see how long it takes your hairdresser to do what you require and go from there..
If you find your hair drops out or becomes frizzy then you could phone them and explain and ask to be booked in at a later time that would suit you better :hug:

ps. good luck for your forth coming wedding

I agree with going for a trial run Victoria! You can see yourself then what your hair is like after leaving it for a while! And if it frizzes, why not use a frizz ease serum?

xx

Ok, will try to cover all your thoughtful responses.
xoxoxo

Doing my own hair: yes, I CAN do it. BUT I do it all the time. My colour, my fringe around my face, my sides. I only ever get the back trimmed as I can't reach back there LOL:lol: I never get pampered, I run like a crazy chicken all the time... I thought for once, I'd get pampered.
PLUS my hair has now reached such a length (and it is all one length) that if I 'roll' it, and extend my arms over my head (to get the right amount of lift at the roots) that I can't reach the ends of my hair (I should have a picture taken for you LOL). So, to do it myself, I wouldn't get the right amount of lift at the roots because I'd have to hold it at a funny angle.
Plus, again....... I am REALLY looking forward to that shampoo :lol::lol:
I could do a very good job. BUT as anal as I am, I would be dissatisfied with myself.

Trial run:
One word......... Budget :cry:
Since my old boat died and I had to take on car payments, my wedding budget has been shot to crap, and so..... no money for trial run.
AND she's mucho expensive and the top stylist in town (i'm looking at spending near $100.00just on my head EEEEEKS but I've been to her before, and she's the only one I trust)
same reason why I'm doing my own makeup.

Frizz serum: I live for the stuff and go through gallons. I am PRAYING (yeah, me the pagan/atheist/heathen LOL) that hairspray will be enough to cement it and keep it from doing so LOL But the frizz serum never gets it completely. Montreal humidity is horrible and you've likely never seen anything like it LOL

thanks again for all the votes of confidence.
I'm wondering, how long does it take any of you to do a style similar to what I'm planning on? (keeping in mind, my hair reaches just past my brastrap, mid back)

:hug::hug::hug:

Hi, Victoria if you were my client I would want you in at about 10.30 at the latest
as you are the Bride and you aren't having a trial run,
so perhaps they are allowing for this too ,

The worst thing in the world is the poor bride panicking and the hairdresser
getting a panic attack along with you lol x

So give your hairdresser the time they need to go through and plan for your beautiful hairdo ,
are you having hair jewels or a Tiara put in too ?

as this will need planning for maximum sparkle and position for the photos .
ask your hairdresser to pin any curls that may drop easily for you till you need to take them out at home,

the best advice I can give you is go and relax and get yourself pampered and then come home and do your make up make sure you do absolutely everything on yourself first.

Then you can devote the time you need to your children and others ,
plus if your hair needs a touch up or a roller put in a drooping curl (hopefully not)
you will have the time to do this,
it is amazing when you have kiddies how the time will be eaten up .

sit back and enjoy being at the Hairdressers
perhaps you could take your make up along and put it on there ?

Oooo I bet loads of geeks on here including me would love to be doing all this for you
and your make up too lol x :hug: x

Oooo I bet loads of geeks on here including me would love to be doing all this for you
and your make up too lol x :hug: x

Then win the lotto and get on the plane!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know, you are so right. I know myself and how efficient I can be, even when going the extra mile. BUT likely my mother, MIL (mother in law), MOH (maid of honour) and everyone else will be a PAIN IN MY BUTT aggravating me and interupting me every 10min.

As for my girls, they're going pretty 'natural' as I like for them to look like little girls and NOT like adults.
I plan on them looking something like this:
n882190384_629256_3725.jpg

SO very easy to do. Takes literally 2min each LOL Letting Cailin's hair be naturally straight, and leaving Mereena's to do it's on natural wave thing and just adding flowers to their hair.

This is MY crazy hair from the weekend, wash and wear as at 6am on a sunday, I don't feel much like styling it LOL but gives you an idea of the wave and length. Yeah, I look pretty dead in that pic, but ah well LOL (and the angle of the pic not the most flattering for the double chin HAHAHAHA)
n882190384_2837822_6524.jpg

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and advice.
I'mtaking it all on board.

GIANT HUGS to all of you.

ps: that's my Best Friend's (aka Maid of Honour) son, who had his baptism this weekend. :green: (nope, I couldn't be godparent as I'm pagan and don't believe in Christ :cry:)

Then win the lotto and get on the plane!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know, you are so right. I know myself and how efficient I can be, even when going the extra mile. BUT likely my mother, MIL (mother in law), MOH (maid of honour) and everyone else will be a PAIN IN MY BUTT aggravating me and interupting me every 10min.

As for my girls, they're going pretty 'natural' as I like for them to look like little girls and NOT like adults.
I plan on them looking something like this:
n882190384_629256_3725.jpg

SO very easy to do. Takes literally 2min each LOL Letting Cailin's hair be naturally straight, and leaving Mereena's to do it's on natural wave thing and just adding flowers to their hair.

This is MY crazy hair from the weekend, wash and wear as at 6am on a sunday, I don't feel much like styling it LOL but gives you an idea of the wave and length. Yeah, I look pretty dead in that pic, but ah well LOL (and the angle of the pic not the most flattering for the double chin HAHAHAHA)
n882190384_2837822_6524.jpg

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and advice.
I'mtaking it all on board.

GIANT HUGS to all of you.

ps: that's my Best Friend's (aka Maid of Honour) son, who had his baptism this weekend. :green: (nope, I couldn't be godparent as I'm pagan and don't believe in Christ :cry:)

First of all: all the best of luck!!!!!!!
Secondly, I have hair down to my butt and just wash and let airdry so I will NOT give you any advice on the hair issue-just sending you a big hug!!!!
At my wedding my Dad's designer jacket was more expensive than the enite amount I spent on myself!! lol! And my late mother-in-law looked like a giant leprachaun....i thinks she even lit up....:rolleyes:

Anyway, not sure what I believe in; but I am going to be a fairy godmother for the second time!!!:idea: That'll do me!!! (and not like the one in Shrek!!!)

Have a fab day hun!!!! Please enjoy yourself....:hug:....and don't freak out!

All the best,

Thanks Christel!
:hug:

Last edited:
Your girls look so pretty and naturally beautiful , and the man in blue looks so nice too, give him a cuddle from me lol x
the main thing is for you all to have a beautiful stress free day
for all of you to remember with happiness

So here's wishing all the very best and have beautiful day full of wonderful and good memories
and do allow yourself to be pampered ,
also your hair will turn out fab as you have a really good head of hair to work with,

I was just wondering what time of day will it be over here in the
UK when you are getting married ? minky :hug: :hug: x

Thanks Minky!

The charming gent in blue is my best friend's Dad. Affectionately known as "Mr J" by me, and as "Grandpa J" by my girls:green: He's a real 'luv'.

I will be walking 'down the aisle' so to speak, at 3:00pm in the afternoon, Montreal time. No idea what that is in the UK, but I'm sure, probably your evening hour?

You can guarantee that there will be OODLES of pics. I'll be sure to share them ASAP.:green:

Thanks re:comps for my girls. I just wanna bite them, they're so cute. I want them 'natural' on my wedding day, and not dolled up like mini adults.
Can't wait. Fabric & pattern shopping tomorrow for their dresses.

Ok, next question.....
I want to go a brighter shade of red/auburn than I am now. I was a 6D with 10vol peroxide and want to go to the 5DR. I know my roots will take it at 10vol no problemo. But am thinking for my ends, to even them up and brighten them, I oughta use the 20vol to remove some of the brown left from the other auburn and make them more closely match my roots (which are a light brown/dirty blonde naturally and suck up the colour perfectly, every time).

Did that make any sense?
Been so long since I've dabbled in colour....

Hi Victoria , I'm not familiar with those colours are they goldwell ?
colourance or top chic maybe ?

I use wella products but the basic rules are the same
you may need a mild bleach bath or shampoo for the ends to even it out as tint wont lift tint or if theres a build up those darker semis

when the ends have lifted a bit you can then put your red colour over
and it will be much more even and a better red, :hug: x I love 6/4 or 6/40 in wella colour touch
with colour touch lotion , 1.9%
maybe there are some other kind hair geekys who will advise too xxxx

Nope, not those brands. Likely the brands we have here are different than in the UK, in some cases. For the life of me I can't remember. Begins with a C (yeah, not much help, sorry:o) A hairdresser pal of mine still in the business gets them for me. She had concurred that I should just use a higher level of peroxide on the shaft, but I wanted to check with you guys and get more opinions.
The 6 is a brownish red auburn. The 5 has more red, and pops more. Not a 'huge' difference, but enough of one so that my hair will show more red in pictures, whereas the one I have now tends to look brownish in pictures. In some lighting, my hair presently looks brown and not auburn.

Been out of the biz for ages... so not sure what a bleach shampoo is..
As for bleach in general... not sure I'd let that anywhere near my head.
My hair, while thick in quantities, is very very fine and delicate (keeping in mind, natural dark blonde, not brown which is coarser). For over a year, I've been sporting the wash and wear look more often to 'baby it' otherwise it gets brittle from all the styling, at the length that it's at because the ends are 'old' hair, know what I mean?
Been doing 'treatments' of all sorts, everything under the sun, to pamper it.

I googled for colours on the web, to give you an idea, and this is the closest I could find.
http://www.awigxpress.com/RW Color Chart.jpg
The Auburn mist(R30/27H) is sort of what I have now.

Or another example is this: http://www.ukhairsupplies.com/contents/media/colour chart_000.jpg
It's presently "in between" #'s 4 & 30, if that makes sense?
and I want to pop it more to a shade like this http://www.hopefashions.com/images/color-chart.gif #C6

KEEPING in mind, that reds fade and I'm a natural dark blonde and while the shaft is a tad darker, my 'ends' have faded considerably and you can see the blonde trying to come through?
Have I explained well? Hope so.:o

THANKS again!!:hug:

Just to make sure I've gotten this straight (mind is still missing from competition- hoping it will come back soon)

The ends of your hair have faded and a presently lighter, less red more to the brown side of things and you would like to "liven them up"

Here's the problem with higher volume on the mid shaft when going darker, the peroxide doesn't know the difference between natural and artificial pigment so even though tint won't lighten tint, your result is generally off shade, usually warmer (orangy) and darker than anticipated. The other issue is constant exposure to the environment makes that hair more porous (duh...anyone with long hair figured that out some time ago and people with curly hair feel it more so) and repeated application with higher volumes of peroxide continue to degrade the hair making it even more damaged.

SOOOO, instead of using a higher volume, switch to a demi permanent or glaze 1 level lighter than your desired in the same shade for your mid lengths and ends. Demi permanent will only deposit, helping to keep the color in, it usually is an acidic base so it's less damaging and it is a blend of preformed and unformed (direct and indirect) dyes that penetrate slightly (the cuticle is already some what open because of the length) and stain the strand.

We have found that switching to a low volume, deposit only helps prevent fading and keeps the hair in better condition.

PM me if I didn't explain well enough or if you want more.

whereas the one I have now tends to look brownish in pictures. In some lighting, my hair presently looks brown and not auburn.

KEEPING in mind, that reds fade and I'm a natural dark blonde and while the shaft is a tad darker, my 'ends' have faded considerably and you can see the blonde trying to come through?

THANKS again!!:hug:

Hi , this is what I think may be happening, ( it's sthe same as Jeni said lol x )
it is just the past doses of 10 vol left in your hair after the the red colour has faded away ,
so it isnt darker ,

its just lost that vibrant red tone
and looks washy brown in normal light , and even lighter on the very ends
and in some very strong lights and sunlight it can even look aurburn gold

therefore there is no need for a bleach bath
as the mid lengths and ends are not darker , they are just faded out, :hug:

(mild bleach shampoo is only reccomended for dark build up of colour )
which you havent got lol x

as Jeni said you are far better using a (semi or demi quasi ) = UK colour touch
as these have a lower level of colour releaser in them around 1.9%
which will allow the cuticle to open very slighty just enough to absorb all the red tone and then it closes again and locks in the tone much more strongly ,
this makes for far less fade.

Think of it like this if you colour your hair with 10 vol think about the lengths and ends
you may have had 3 or more colours applied to it throughout the year

so 3 x 10 vol = 30 volume peroxide which = major fade
plus enviromental factors cause lots of added fade too

plus last years colour , and the year before ?
now add up all that peroxide strength left behind on the ends over the years :eek:

I think this is the same thing Jeni is saying too lol x
did this make any sense ?

loreal make nice quasi demis that can last for 15 shampoos or more
we use Colour touch which is the same ,
so the secret to longer lasting colour and better conditioned hair is to go for a demi / quasi colour with 1.9%
especially if you are a natural dark blonde to brunette and the sine will be immense too :hug: x

as Jeni said you are far better using a (semi or demi quasi ) = UK colour touch
as these have a lower level of colour releaser in them around 1.9%
which will allow the cuticle to open very slighty just enough to absorb all the red tone and then it closes again and locks in the tone much more strongly ,
this makes for far less fade.

loreal make nice quasi demis that can last for 15 shampoos or more
we use Colour touch which is the same ,
so the secret to longer lasting colour and better conditioned hair is to go for a demi / quasi colour with 1.9%
especially if you are a natural dark blonde to brunette and the sine will be immense too :hug: x

Okey dokey, I understood all of that...... and agree with just about all.:green:
You pretty much explained what I wanted to say, but much better :)
BUT (and you knew that was coming... lol)

What the heck is a "quasi demis"????? :eek: I'm pretty darn sure we didn't have that when I was working in the salon (ummmmm 17-20yrs ago lol) or if they did, I really don't remember it.:o Or maybe we just called it something else here in montreal, I've no clue at this point haha

What is it? And I don't think my pal carries Loreal at her salon, do they have quasi demis in the stores?

Thanks again!:hug:

Hi Victoria , a Quasi comes in a tube of 60 mls
is a shine intensive mildy oxidising semi permanent colour
long lasting and gives up to 50% coverage of white hair ,
they give an incredible glossy shine

they are full of vibrant colour and come in lots of different depths and tones
but they have to be mixed with a mild colour releaser of 1.9% vol
the mix is usually 60ml releaser to 30 ml colour usually shook up together in an applicator bottle with a nozzle

there is no lightening just pure long lasting tone on tone colour and shiny beautiful glossy hair

and you are right they never had them back when I trained either :lol: lol x

I can arrange to send you some before your wedding day if you like :hug: x
I think a 6/4 rich autum red would look really lurrrvely on your hair,

What do any of our other geeky Hairdressers think about a Wella 6/4 colour touch in rich autum red for Victorias wedding day colour
or what colour do you think would look nice in a quasi /demi semi ? :hug: x

Latest posts

Back