Customer complaint, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma morgan

Gemx190
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been doing extensions for 8 years but recently opened a salon so as you can imagine you come across all kinds of people......

One lady claims to have had a problem with her hair. I had fitted it for her and the next day she decided to go to another hairdresser to have it curled. The hair had left some black marks on the straightener. She also told me that the hairdresser had done a strand test to dye the hair but she later told me it was 40 vol on it for 30 mins which made it frazzle.

I have offered to replace the hair and fit it for free but she wants a refund. Her and her mother keep ringing the salon but I dont think its fair on me to give the refund?! I have sent the hair to be tested and waiting for the results.

Any advice would be appreciated
Xxx

So after the strand test did she have her whole head coloured? She sounds like she's trying it on.

What does your aftercare say with regards to colouring?

What do you mean it left black marks on the hair straightener? Did you also colour it for her? How come she went somewhere else for the strand test, did they also colour it? I wouldn't offer to replace hair extensions if she had them coloured elsewhere, no wonder it frazzled with 40vol on extensions, ouch!

Sorry if i wasnt clear .. I just do extensions in my salon so she had gone to her local hairdresser to curl it. She hadnt coloured it after doing the strand test but surely a hairdresser would know that you cant bleach extensions?!
Just sort of black lines were left on the straightener. I am unsure if the hairdresser had left heat on the extensions for too long but she assured me that the hairdresser hadnt.

I advise people you can dye the extensions but it does need extra care when doing so, but never bleach!

You need to straighten them your self to see these "black lines" then work out if it's colour from the extensions (are they dark?) or synthetic strands mixed in.

I have seen this a few times, hardly seems worth it but you can find a tiny percentage of synthetic strands

Yes they are dark extensions. I did straighten them in just after fitting and all was fine. When she called back in the hair still felt soft and surely if there was synthetic hair it would have looked frazzled.

See if they still leave black marks after a wash, it could just be some colour left in the extensions

Fab will do. She did state that after a wash the bath had discoloured but she had also dyed her natural hair not long before having the extensions fitted. If there was excess colour left on the extensions would that be considered faulty I am just really unsure whether to stick to my principles or to give in just not to spoil my reputation

As long as the extensions have no faded then why would some dye washing out make them faulty?

No they havent faded but she seems to think they have. She has said she has been to trading standards but not sure if it is a threat x

If it's not faded and the hairs soft then she has nothing to complain about

Fingers crossed when the results come back as fine she will have nothing to say x

I wouldn't refund when another salon has messed about with them. I think she is trying it on.

I wouldn't refund as there is nothing wrong with the hair.

I've never heard of this black marks being left on straighteners. But I agree with the others. Tell her to come back in so you can have a look at them and maybe rewash and partially blowdry them (full blowdry if she is happy to pay for it), and if they are fine send her on her way knowing full well you did what she originally requested, and if she wants to change them now or whatever, charge her accordingly. If it's a problem with the hair, expect the company to reimburse you for the hair and your application time as you will loose that income if you have to redo or refund. If it is something you have done, then you know what to do already.
This is why I don't do extensions anymore, I used to do sew ins, and someone else in the salon did bonded, but it always attracts the worst kind of client! I can't deal with their drama lol! Good luck X

Thats great, thanks for all of your help

Latest posts

Back