Cuticle Remover

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DollBird

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

As a newbie to the nail industry I am eeager to learn and one product I keep hearing a lot about is Cuticle Remover.

I would like to know how and why it is used? So far I have only used a cuticle pusher stick, so I am interested in how this product is used and your opinions on it.

Thanks Muchly x

hi there i use cuticle remover to soften it before i put the cuticle back,it helps when the cuticle has growen on to the natural nail.take care minetta

Does anybody use a cuticle knife when doing manicures?:eek:??

So it is more of a softener, rather than a chemical that removes it?
Almost a tool to help the removal rather than instead of pushing back the cuticle?

Thanks for your feedback :)

not i,my teacher told me if i did when i was doing my course she would hunt me down lmao

It removes the non living skin from the nail plate...(very important when doing overlays/enhancements) most require complete removeal after using as oils/residue from the remover can cause lifting.

So would you geeks say it's good product to include or better to leave out?

So would you geeks say it's good product to include or better to leave out?
Most definitely a fab product to have, also Cuticle Eraser, I wouldn't be without either of them :D

I personally only use it for manicure clients or those having enhancements and have a build up of skin. I don't use it for everyone all of the time. With the system i use i find a dry prep works well...but others systems teach differently. There is no wrong or right...just different and both done safely.

Cuticle remover is not so much a cuticle softener as it is a remover. It can help to soften them to aid removal but its main purpose is to remove the cuticle.

It's main ingredient is potassium hydroxide and it is an alkaline. Not recommended for use more than once a week as it can have a very drying effect on the nails.

There are other products called cuticle creams which are for softening and gently pushing back the eponychium (soft skin fold at base of nail) which is live tissue and should not be removed.

Thanks for the info so how is it applied and is it used at the same stage as when I push back the cuticles in nail prep?

Thanks for the info so how is it applied and is it used at the same stage as when I push back the cuticles in nail prep?
I think you are confused between cuticle and eponychium. Cuticle is dead tissue which adheres to the nail plate and grows out from under the eponychium. The aim is to gently push back the eponychium to expose cuticle and not push back cuticle. You don't want to push cuticle back but instead remove it.

Apply softener first before soaking nails only if they need it. Sometimes soaking is not right eg. if nails are flaking.

Unfortunately colleges do teach that cuticle and eponychium are the same thing and they are not.

Also personally I don't like cuticle knives and don't use them. I had to in college but I don't use them now.

Thanks for making things clearer, I am on the EN acrylic course and cuticle remover isn't mentioned that's why I was interested.:)

Hi,

My previous nail tech always used to snip my cuticles but i was told my educator never to do this.

My cuticles grow really quickly (but do not attach to nail plate) what is the best way for me to get rid of this unsightly growth without nipping them?

Thanks

Linda

Hi,

My previous nail tech always used to snip my cuticles but i was told my educator never to do this.

My cuticles grow really quickly (but do not attach to nail plate) what is the best way for me to get rid of this unsightly growth without nipping them?

Thanks

Linda
What exactly are you referring to as cuticle? I have a feeling you are talking about eponychium and not cuticle.

Latest posts

Back