Cutting comb and thinning scissors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachy86

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Some of you may have read that I start a fab new job in two weeks.
The boss said I need to invest in a new cutting comb(I had only had that one 2 weeks!)He said it was too bulky.It is a long one,I prefer them longer but yes I suppose it is chunky.
Can anyone recommend one that is lightweight,flexible,durable,longer and not "chunky" I have been in capital and they all look well....rather standard and boring.They are never stocked up when I go in.
Also I need to buy thinning scissors,are they all just standard or are they like scissors...you pay for what you get?I do want to get top quality products on a bit of a budget though but am willing to do whatever it takes to impress at my new job (within reason hehe)
Thank you in advance geeks
Rach xxxx

Last edited:
Hi,
Id go with whatever you can work best with,Ive had the same pair of scissors for years now,and just get them sharpened, there like a third hand, theyre so comfortable.
If i were your boss id be more impressed with your skills,than how bulky your tools are
Kate x

I'm currently half way through my nvq2 course (only doing it on saturdays as I have small children) and when the combs (pro-tip) that I got in my kit snapped (after only the 2nd time using them) I asked my tutor which combs she would recommend and she said to try matador combs. I did and they are perfect, black, compact and very hard wearing. I've used them for 10months @ college and at home all the time. I would highly recommend them. I think salons direct do them.

Hth, Katrina x

my comb is starflite by dupont...its a wee one which i like.

my thinners are tondeo primo 575e....they were reasonable price and do the job!!!!

ps wtf about the comb....??if you can cut hair well with whatever comb, that should be enough!!!!

I like matador combs, also denman pro combs which are slightly rubbery and dont break if you drop them. I use quite a long cutting comb.

For thinners, I would say buy the best you can afford. You do not need megabucks scissors at this stage of your career, but neither should you scrape by with a twenty quid pair either.

I've got a denman cutting comb, i like to cut with a long comb and i find it nice and light. As for my thinning scissors, I have a pair of jaguar ones, I think I paid about 60 quid for them, they're right handed but I use them in my left hand (I'm left handed) and they work really well for me :)

I've got a denman cutting comb, i like to cut with a long comb and i find it nice and light. As for my thinning scissors, I have a pair of jaguar ones, I think I paid about 60 quid for them, they're right handed but I use them in my left hand (I'm left handed) and they work really well for me :)

Hi I love the jaguar thinning scissors too!... especially with the teeth on both sides so there is no line of demarcation :)
Matador and Hercules combs are the ones I like too .....I also have a black military comb which is a bit longer too

I also like the blue Comaire ones :) minky

I also like the blue Comaire ones :)

I only use these ones, in a large. They have remodeled them though and the plastic feels too thick, which I don't like. If I see the old style, I buy them all up. I have oodles of them, still packaged, in my salon. Should do me a few years. :)

Latest posts

Back