Damaged lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have recently had my SPL's removed after a year of continued use and my natural lashes are now short and stumpy where before they were quite long. It's definitely not just an illusion. They're shorter than my bottom lashes! I'm so upset and wish i'd never started with the extensions now. Does anyone know if they're likely to grow back to how they were? I'm newly qualified in SPL's and this experience has put me off a bit because I really don't want to be damaging people's natural lashes.

Hi, I can understand your frustration, Lash extensions are really only for special occasion not continued wear. I advised my clients to have them totally removed after 2 months to avoid eyelash Alopecia. Loads of celebrities have experienced this, Try using Revitalash, not cheap but it gives vital nutrients to your lashes to promote growth or Mavala do a double lash serum too.

See this is where I'm confused. On my training, and in a lot of posts on here, they say that they're fine to wear continually and this is what I've told my clients. I know express lashes / party lashes / clusters etc. are not suitable for continued wear but I thought the individual ones were? The reason I did this training was so that I had repeat customers coming for infills.

Hi everyone
I have recently had my SPL's removed after a year of continued use and my natural lashes are now short and stumpy where before they were quite long. It's definitely not just an illusion. They're shorter than my bottom lashes! I'm so upset and wish i'd never started with the extensions now. Does anyone know if they're likely to grow back to how they were? I'm newly qualified in SPL's and this experience has put me off a bit because I really don't want to be damaging people's natural lashes.

Hi Louby Lou

To answer your question YES they absolutely will grow back! Your lashes will grow to where they grow and stop fall out and start again. If they are shorter now it will take 6/8 weeks approx to get them back to their normal state.

If they are indeed shorter than they used to be that can happen for several reasons but here are the main ones:
1. Bad application (too much glue etc)
2. More than one natural lash attached to the extension (this will cause natural lashes to be pulled out prematurely and will result in these pulled out lashes taking longer then normal to grow back in!!!!)
3. Bad Removal
4. Client not following correct aftercare (although this wouldn't apply in your case as you are trained lash tech)

What I would advise is just give them time and don't use lash curlers on them for a couple of months or at least until they have returned to normal.

Your trainer was quite correct when they said you can wear constantly without a break with no damage to the natural lashes. However this can only be stated if the application is perfect, the client follows the aftercare to the letter and removal of any lashes is done correctly.

Hope this helps and try not to worry, just give them a bit of time!!!!

Thanks leemac. I guess I'm just a bit concerned because I've just started out in the lash business so my lashes are nowhere near perfect. I probably commit some of those cardinal sins you mention just through lack of experience and I hate the thought I'm damaging people's lashes 😞

Since swapping mascara for lash extensions my lashes have grown longer/thicker!

Don't be put off just because your own lash tech wasn't fully clued up and instead use this to motivate you to be a good lash tech who cares for client natural lash health!

Tips & things to do to avoid lash damage...

Don't overbear the natural lash:
- Avoid using too much glue as this will add weight. (Many trainers tell you perfect bonding is attaching extensions all the way along the natural lash - in reality it looks better and is easier to just bond at the base. With a GOOD adhesive you'll only need 3mm bonding length for them to stay put as long as the very bottom end is secured)
- Never use 0.25+ thickness or ridiculously long extensions. In time you will learn to judge the strength of natural lashes and which sizes you can use safely. (I personally don't stock any higher than 0.15 thickness anymore, and only go to 15mm long on a couple of clients who have ridiculously amazing strong healthy natural lashes)
- Don't apply multiple extensions to one natural lash unless you have enough experience and have attended advanced training to know how to safely do so!

Perform good safe application:
- Practice makes perfect! (Many start off by charging friends basic costs so that they can practice their technique)
- Good isolation is SO important! (Stickies run the risk of damaging lashes as neighbouring lashes grow at different rates and can put strain on each other if stuck together. Good sharp tweezers and good lighting (some people wear magnify glasses too) so you can see all lashes, even baby lashes, are needed to separate lashes effectively)

I hope I've eased any of your worries with this information.
Happy lashing! X

Last edited:
Thank you LMA. That was really helpful. I've just been onto lashbase and bought some magnifying glasses, new tweezers and lighter lashes. Now to persuade my friends to drop down a lash size.....

Glad I could help! :)

Latest posts

Back