Dark red and purple gel colour problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc69

Reaction score
Hi girls please can anyone give me any suggestions, having problems with dark purples and reds chipping, all mid tones and pale colours are lasting fantastic, have noticed when removing gel residue at end slight colouring on my nail pad so have set timer little longer on darker colours in case this was the reason to set it longer but still doesn't seem to work, has anyone else come across this and how did you rectify, using a uv lamp!! Thanks!

which gel system do you use?

Artistic and shellac, but artistic seems to be the main probs

Are you using the CND UV lamp with your Shellac and the Artistic UV lamp with Artistic or are you using the one lamp for both systems?
If so, which lamp are you using?

This sounds like a classic case of not curing correctly and this simply could be down to not using the correct lamp for the system you are using as not UV lamps are made the same and it also could be your bulbs need replacing?
How old are your bulbs? If they are older than 6 months and get a lot of use, then they should be replaced.

Yes cnd unit, and agree could be coz different machine,but not cost effective to have different machines for each system, thinking about it I could be due new bulbs think about 5 months old, just seems weird it's only the very dark colours everything else perfect :-/

Yes cnd unit, and agree could be coz different machine,but not cost effective to have different machines for each system, thinking about it I could be due new bulbs think about 5 months old, just seems weird it's only the very dark colours everything else perfect :-/

you can check how many hours left on the CND lamp by pressing reset button for a couple of seconds it will tell you how many hrs left.

I clean my bulbs regularly with a cloth and then flip over the bulbs at 50 hrs to the other side.

apply thin layers with darker colors and make sure you seal your free edge with all the coats. Darker colours are highly pigmented and will not cure properly if applied too thick.
:D

Make sure you apply thin layers

It's because dark colors are very pigmented and the UV must penetrate right through the dark color to cure correctly, so hence why our bulbs need to be working correctly and using the correct UV light.

If you have the CND lamp for your Shellac services that great but I would check with Artistic colors if they give the ok for their colors to be cured in the CND lamp.
Every lamp is different and every good branded system is tested using their own branded lamps unless they say it's ok to use any UV light with their system, so if this is happening with your Artistic colors, it could be that the CND lamp is not suited to this system.

Yes, it also could be that you are applying your layers too thick and should try thinner layers but I would definitely check on the lamp situation to see if Artistic give the ok for the CND lamp to be used.

Too many techs are saying "Oh but my xx system is curing fine in my xxx lamp" but to visually look at a cured nail, you can not tell if it has actually cured correctly and long term this can have dire affects on the client from un-cured product.
This is why we trust the science and testing behind our good brand systems cause they are the ones that have done all this and can tell us if the system can be cured in any uv lamp or their own specific branded lamp, cause not all lamps are made equal.

I just think it's something to check into to be on the safe side that's all. You don't need to cause a permanent allergy in a client and find out it's because you were not using the recommended uv lamp for that system and have the client make a claim against you and then you have your insurance nil and void because you were using the wrong lamp.

I know it's expensive to have different lamps but your service charges should incorporate all these expenses and with most systems, you get your money back pretty soon on the cost of the lamp if you charge correctly for the service:)

Ok great advice guys much appreciated, will take on board and follow everything through, thanks :)

are you making sure that you are completely covering colour with top coat?? if you dont quite cover with top coat then would you remove inhibition layer any colour that is exposed will come off on your pad. be very thorough with top coat, its so easy to think that you have covered and you havent x

are you making sure that you are completely covering colour with top coat?? if you dont quite cover with top coat then would you remove inhibition layer any colour that is exposed will come off on your pad. be very thorough with top coat, its so easy to think that you have covered and you havent x

Mmmm that's a good one always hard to see exactly where you put it, I think I do but a possibility will be extra careful thanks x

Latest posts

Back