Data Safety Sheets

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kayley,

You need to have a MSDS for every product/chemical that you use. If you use something like acetone from two different manufacturers, then you have to have the MSDS from each of them. If you have products that come in different colours (gel, nail polish, airbrush paint, etc) then you, may (depending on the manufacturer), have to have a separate MSDS for each colour:eek:.

COSHH is a written risk assessment you have to do for any hazardous or dangerous products that you use, or you produce (dust etc). Read the MSDS to check for potential hazards. You can also check your products packaging for a CHIP (those little orange boxes with a symbol and 'Flammable', 'Irritant', 'Toxic' etc) to help you decide if you need to do a COSHH. The reason for the COSHH is to show that you know what your doing with the product, how you're storing it, what to do in case of emergency and how to deal with spillages, disposal etc...

If you've written a COSHH yon need to keep it with its relevant MSDS and carry all of it with you as you'll need it should an accident arise.

I hope that makes sense:) There's, also, plenty about it on the internet and it's worth checking out the HSE website

Regards
jes

Is an MSDS sheet necessary for all products used in the salon, skin care aromatherapy etc?

Is an MSDS sheet necessary for all products used in the salon, skin care aromatherapy etc?
Yep, you should have one for everything including even less obvious things like washing up liquid, hand soap, furniture polish etc etc.

It does sound daunting, but once your on top of it and you stick to the same manufacturers and products then it's easy. The other side effect is that it encourages good housekeeping as some of those chemicals you've been hanging onto, without really needing them, can be disposed of:)

A very good place for this type of info is Habia.org. The Nail Services Code of Practice is also very useful and this is available as a free download from Habia

Unfortunately for the professional industry mobile workers are under the radar! Dreadful situation but I do believe every therapist and technician should follow the same rules as for salons.

I believe the rules for all the Risk Assessments, Accident Book, H&S Statement, first aider etc etc are for those salons with 5 or more employees but all salons should follow these rules. They will certainly come in very useful if anyone has the unfortunate experience of being sued by a client. It would demonstrate that the technician has taken every precaution.

Remember that on top of anything you do and keep in the salon the manufacturer will have a PIp (Product Information pack). This will go into a lot greater detail than the MSDS, having batches produced, formulation, frame formulation type etc in fact the MSDS is just part of the PIp. It would be more likely that a medical practitioner would require some of the information in PIp if the MSDS was not enough.

We supply the MSDS on request but we are also available out of hours in an emergency if specific information from the PIp is required.

What if the supplier or distributor does not suppy you with these MSDS sheets, or are they obliged to do so? Is it actually law that you have them?

Fanella, I can't really comment on others but if you are getting a product from a regional distributor or supplier rather than the manufacturer or national supplier/distributor then they may not have the MSDS themselves.

I am sure if you contact the manufacturer on the side of the jar then they would be able to help you.

OK thanks Jo, it is just that I have requested them and been told that they are not necessary and therefore the national distributor doesn't have them. It is all very confusing isn't it!!!

I don't want to find out the hard way that I should have had them :confused:

Hi Fanella, it's your responsibility to request MSDS from your supplier and in turn the suppliers responsibility to request them from the manufacturers. However you can often get them straight from the manufacturer if you wish. The idea is you ask for a MSDS whenever you buy a new product:)

We don't know what products your using, but they've got to be made of something and therefore should have an MSDS?

OK thanks Jo, it is just that I have requested them and been told that they are not necessary and therefore the national distributor doesn't have them. It is all very confusing isn't it!!!

I don't want to find out the hard way that I should have had them :confused:

They ARE necessary and your distributor are obliged to provide them when requested with their own details on

Thanks very much for all the information jes, and oters who have added. That should keep me busy if god forbid i find a spare 5 mins :lol:

Hi everyone
Just want to say thank you for this thread I have found it it very interesting and informative. During my training I must add admit I was given by my training provider a good sound knowledge of H&S issues. However being out in industry and traveling the world whislt working in the indusrty H&S issues are are very vague. I am now settle in the UK and have a salon which has made me take more notice and investigate more into H&S. This thread has been a god send in the fact that it has renewed my prior learning of how important it is to keep up to date with everything H&S. My job for tomorrow will be contact my supplies for a MSDS. Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back