Deciding colour brands!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyaussie

Reaction score
I'm a hairdresser in Australia wanting to opening up my own business and I'm after feed back on different colour companies! I currently work with Keune and have previously worked with wella and goldwell but not that's over 3 years ago.. I'm interested in hearing about Redken, matrix, schwartzkofpt and any others you think are good!!

I do a lot of bleaching with blondes, toners soft and pastel colours aswell as red and violet fashion shades!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

I was trained with Redken, it's definitely my comfort zone I know the products, the company and the colour really well so I love it. Redken colours can come out a little warm sometimes but other than that I love Redken but I also reach out to Goldwell a lot as it's pretty similar to Redken, it's cheaper and they have gorgeous colours.

Thank you! It's so hard to know what to invest in! What is redkens grey coverage like? And if you were to do an onscalp bleach with 6% on say a natural 6 level would it come up white or pale yellow or quite yellow?
I read redken has lovely reds which is good. It's nice to know people's opinions who have worked with them for so long! Do they have matching semi permanents to there permanents??

Thanks again :)

If you do as you stated above with any bleach and it comes up white, you have over bleached it!

I'm aware of over bleaching I'm not asking about processing colour or asking for technical help I'm just asking what the general colour looks like if you use redken bleach. Some come up extremely gold I was only using "white" as an example.

So you meant palest yellow then?

I love Matrix, Veered off it to try other brands, always came back to it.

Matrix Light Master bleach if fantastic, so it L'Oréal infinite - probably the same stuff as both brands are under the same hat, however i can't get on with L'Oréal colours, find them to thick and alot goes a short way.

Matrix colours though, a little goes a long way, and more of a light creamy texture paints on lovely

I love Matrix, Veered off it to try other brands, always came back to it.

Matrix Light Master bleach if fantastic, so it L'Oréal infinite - probably the same stuff as both brands are under the same hat, however i can't get on with L'Oréal colours, find them to thick and alot goes a short way.

Matrix colours though, a little goes a long way, and more of a light creamy texture paints on lovely

Oh that's awesome to hear thanks for the feed back!!
That's Definitely one thing I'm after is it also being cost effective and getting the most out of the colours! It's just good to hear from people because it's so overwhelming with so many brands!

Very welcome, Matrix are also 90ml tubes too :)

I'm a Wella girl, but dabble in Schwartzkopf and redken shades eq. I think if you do a lot of bleaching and toning you should look at Blondor and Illumina.

I'm a Wella girl, but dabble in Schwartzkopf and redken shades eq. I think if you do a lot of bleaching and toning you should look at Blondor and Illumina.

Thank you! I have used the blonde me in schwazkopft before and it was AMAZING! I have a lot of blonde clients so that's something I'm really looking for is a good bleach and toners

I'm a hairdresser in Australia wanting to opening up my own business and I'm after feed back on different colour companies! I currently work with Keune and have previously worked with wella and goldwell but not that's over 3 years ago.. I'm interested in hearing about Redken, matrix, schwartzkofpt and any others you think are good!!

I do a lot of bleaching with blondes, toners soft and pastel colours aswell as red and violet fashion shades!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

I'm a fan of Redken and Schwarzkopf. I love Redkens shades EQ for lo-lites and pre pig and their red/coppers seem to last longer than most. Schwarzkopf is similar without the EQ line. Aveda is unique if you like mixing detailed colors as it comes with the 1-10+N series with intensifiers for tone that just need a couple of mls added to a floz.

Thank you! It's so hard to know what to invest in! What is redkens grey coverage like? And if you were to do an onscalp bleach with 6% on say a natural 6 level would it come up white or pale yellow or quite yellow?
I read redken has lovely reds which is good. It's nice to know people's opinions who have worked with them for so long! Do they have matching semi permanents to there permanents??

Thanks again :)
Personally, my clients are usually younger and don't do too many grey coverage applications although from my experience I have found that redkens tint consistency when mixed with their correct developer is quite thin and that can deceive you as I wasn't packing the colour on and I noticed it came up quite translucent, I started adding colour thickener and packing on the colour and it came out beautifully even on a client with about 70% greys. Their cover fusion line is of course designed for grey coverage but I'm really not a fan, it fades out and sometimes is abut patchy and over all don't like the line. That's just my experience though, their flashlight lightener is also quite good and it depends on your client everyone lifts differently, I'm a level 7 but I have a lot of gold undertones and I use 6% but it takes me about 60-70 mins to lift to a clean pale yellow.
Personally I'm going to start my own business soon and as much as I love redken im going to branch out and use different colour lines for different purposes and etc because ever brand has their strengths and weaknesses and it's best to just have a variety to cater for different services, clients and hair types. I know it's probably not an option when you start out but I'm definitely planning on doing that x

I haven't used Matrix colour but I really don't like their hair care products at all x

Matrix all they way There blonde and high lift collection are fab, love them. I use Schwarzkopf blonde me powder and developer bleach and I love it, lifts up to 9 levels and has a lovely smell too

Latest posts

Back