Deformation in natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

I have been to a BBQ today and got chatting to a lad there who has had her nails painted (art) by a recommended freind who is apparently a qualified nail tech.

When she first started talking to me I was checking out her nails (as I do with everyone I chat to) and I thought that she had had enhancements that she had broken off on her thumbs, but as she filled me in on her situation it turns out that she has this natural deformity on both rhumb nails which is a large bump about a 1/3rd of the way up the nail plate.

This supposedly qualified nail tech had filed these bumps to try and level the nail out before putting the art on them!!!!! She has now been left with thin and constantly splitting nails poor girl!!!

I have suggested that she pops by to see me tomorrow, and said that I can cover them and cap them in gel so that she has a layer of protection on them while they 'grow out'

I can sort of see why the other person thought they should level them out, but why oh why would they think it was a good idea to file down the natural nail??????????? Am I missing something here, or do you all think the same??

What I plan to do is to use gel to level out the uneven natural surface of both thumb nails, protecting the damage as it grows out, and giving her a smooth finish to wear everyday polish if she so wishes.

Does this sound Ok to you all, or would any of you treat the situation any differnently? The only potential problem I see is that may the gel will pocket lift if I can't take the shine of around the bump - would I be better using L&P ?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated :hug:

Whatever you use, you are going to end up with the product thinner in some places than others because of the bump.

I think I would go for L&P rather than gel for a bit more durability in the thin spots.

Fab - thanks. Geeg to the rescue x

Also... if her nails have been thinned like that then she will definitely get exothermic reaction (heat spike) quite badly during the initial curing.

Latest posts

Back