Deposits and cancellation policy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2021

Reaction score
This hasn't been an issue for me until lately as I'm now offering more treatments and clients are booking for several at a time so if they cancel it can be costly and I can have several hours that I have to fill.

My cancellation policy is currently 24 hrs notice and if not then the next appointment requires to be paid in advance.

Can I ask what your cancellation policy is please? I use ovatu and would rather not have to take deposits for every appointment as the vast majority of my clients are regular and rarely cancel.

Those if you that take deposits when do you refund it?

Thank you

The idea of the deposit is to guarantee your lost time should that be the case. I wouldn't refund it within the 24h period.

My website takes 50% of the treatment cost when booking is made online. Although there is a cost in taking the deposit this way, it's saved me so much money because I hardly ever have any no shows or last minute cancellations now. There has been a few occasions that a client will forget they have an appointment (even though they get sent an email reminder) or they turn up too late for the treatment to go ahead. In all cases I keep the deposit and there are no awkward conversations because they are well aware of my policy when booking. Surprisingly this hasn't put people off, and many of my clients support and understand why I need such a policy in place.

If someone were to cancel before the 24 hours before their treatment, then I am happy to refund, although I can't recall the last time someone just cancelled without ever rearranging, so I hardly ever have to refund.

If you don't want to charge your regulars in advance then don't. Maybe just take a deposit for all new clients?

I could buy most cancel 2 or 3 days before so that's out with the time limit. I didn't mind as one appointment is easy to fill as I have a wait list but when they've booked 3 or 4 services it's very costly

Not sure if this is right or not but I believe with Ovatu it doesn't take the deposit/cancellation % unless they cancel the appointment.

I don't personally use Ovatu, I use Shedul but my microblader does and she said that it only takes the % if I cancel, so I still pay her in full in cash on my appointment x

Not sure if this is right or not but I believe with Ovatu it doesn't take the deposit/cancellation % unless they cancel the appointment.

I don't personally use Ovatu, I use Shedul but my microblader does and she said that it only takes the % if I cancel, so I still pay her in full in cash on my appointment x
Oh that would be perfect!
Thanks very much, I'll look into that

I take 50% non refundable deposit with every booking

I take 50% non refundable deposit with every booking
Do you not refund at all? I have just set up a 50% deposit on my online booking page. I have a 48 hour cancellation policy and am wondering whether to refund before this or not.

It should be a non-refundable booking fee and NOT deposit. Deposit implies it's returnable. All your T&C's need to be watertight - get them reviewed by a solicitor. Also, 'technically speaking' If someone cancels and wants there money back, it's based on how likely you are to refill the space. IE if they cancel an appointment with a month to go, in the eyes of the law it's unreasonable for you NOT to refund the money because you could rebook that space.

I take their credit or debit card details over the phone. which I keep in a book, kept in the safe. I explain the cancellation notice period and let them know if they don't observe the cancellation time then the full amount will be debited from their card. When they turn up for the treatment, they then have the choice to pay in cash or with a card. I find that them knowing you have their card details somehow makes them remember very well they have an appointment.

I take their credit or debit card details over the phone. which I keep in a book, kept in the safe. I explain the cancellation notice period and let them know if they don't observe the cancellation time then the full amount will be debited from their card. When they turn up for the treatment, they then have the choice to pay in cash or with a card. I find that them knowing you have their card details somehow makes them remember very well they have an appointment.
You can't store card details on paper! This is a HUGE data protection breach. No matter if it's in fort knox or not.

I’m 99% sure that’s illegal! [emoji33]

I’m 99% sure that’s illegal! [emoji33]
It is. The fines are eye-watering (Monetary penalty notices: Fines of up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the DPA).

Latest posts

Back