Deposits?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noo

Reaction score
I've had 2 last minute cancellations in past month - both big bookings worth over £100 each - I can't afford this and had turned down other business due to having these bookings in my diary.

I have decided (which I probably should have months ago) to ask for deposit to be paid - I thought about asking for £20 non-refundable deposit for bookings of over £80 or over.

Can any of you tell me what you all do?

I charge 50% of the cost of the treatment booked,
i have 3 posters around the salon stating if less than 24 hrs is given to cancel an appointment they will incur this charge and i have it on my price lists too,
i have charged this many times and only ever lost 1 client through doing so,
a non refundable deposit is a good idea but you will need a card machine to this with phone bookings hth

if its a large booking then yes, definetly ask for a deposit.
I also charge if someone doesn't turn up or cancels on the day.

a spa that I worked at, took card details for EVERY treatment that they booked.

At the clinic I used to work at they took card details at time of booking with wording along the lines of:

"All treatments are to be confirmed with card details at time of booking"

Along with details of the cancellation policy. We used to then debit the account if they didn't turn up without good reason. Mind you we only did it on appointments over an hour in length.

At the clinic I used to work at they took card details at time of booking with wording along the lines of:

"All treatments are to be confirmed with card details at time of booking"

Along with details of the cancellation policy. We used to then debit the account if they didn't turn up without good reason. Mind you we only did it on appointments over an hour in length.
could you do that without a card machine?

From a client's point of view, if I missed an appointment and I was charged for it, I'd be much more enclined to go back to the salon because the guilt of missing the appointment would be alleviated somewhat. I know it sounds daft, but I have missed a couple of appointments in the past (I'd forget my head sometimes) and changed salons because I was too embarrassed to go back and get a lecture about a missed appointment. I visit one salon who charge a deposit at the time of booking, one time I forgot about a bikini wax I had booked at my previous appointment, when I realised my mistake I called them to re-book when normally I would be too ashamed.

Charging for no-shows? Absolutely! But, I think clients should be aware of this when they make their booking.

A top tip for filling those canceled spaces is this: Maintain a list of clients that would be willing to come and see you at a moments notice on your mobile phone. (Pensioners and students can be ideal targets) You probably only need about 20 of these people.

Then, when you have a cancelation send out a text message somehting like: "Space available on date, time, special deal 20% off. First to text back gets the deal" Your 'canceled' treatment will be booked up in no time!

For my princess parties, I write up an agreement/invoice, that details the event: time, place, services provided, cost etc..
Same thing for bridal services.
And on it, it's indicated that a non-refundable deposit of 50% is required to reserve the date and time.
Also, there are products I get specific to princess parties that I don't use on a regular basis, that I don't want to purchase and have sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
The agreement must be signed and the 50% received, minimum of 1mth before the date of the event.

Up till now, everyone has agreed and understood.

Only one balked, and she wound up wanting to do something else instead, so it would have been lost revenue. (and she has stiffed me in the past, by cancelling last minute)

Those that are serious will understand and be amenable to such an agreement. Those that are difficult, are likely wavering or "flighty".

hth's

a spa that I worked at, took card details for EVERY treatment that they booked.

The salon i now work at (fairly upmarket with top end treatments) takes payment with bookings - sounds like this is becoming more popular - i think if you are running a salon its reasonable and professional.

Louise x

I charge 50% of the cost of the treatment booked,
i have 3 posters around the salon stating if less than 24 hrs is given to cancel an appointment they will incur this charge and i have it on my price lists too,
i have charged this many times and only ever lost 1 client through doing so,
a non refundable deposit is a good idea but you will need a card machine to this with phone bookings hth

You can take Card Not Present payments over the phone etc with out a card machine.
Helen

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back