Depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People treat depression like its not a regular illness.the brain can break just like a broken bone. Womens hormones go haywire too. Im sick of the shame people try to put on people with depression!
Its hard for me to find my smile most of the time too..

Don't be ashamed. Something a lot of people don't no about me is that I had a nervous breakdown! Lucid dreams, couldn't get out of bed, wanted to just die. I was so numb, I would drive down roads I would drive everyday and I had no idea what it was. It was the most brutal time in my life. I found through therapy I had been depressed a loonngg time. I had some really tramatic things happen to me in a short time.

As woman we take far to much on and don't take time for ourselves. We have to our mind is just as important as our bodies. Please go see someone, I pushed everything I was feeling to the back and it screwed me big time. Never in a million years did I think my mental state would be compramised. Your mind just like your body can only take so much before it collapses.

I think you are brave for even talking about it.

Xoxoxoxo

I have suffered from depression since I was a kid and have grown up around it.
My 2 brothers also, one was diagnosed with bipolar, the other turned to alcohol and killed himself.
Am I one of these people who's worse off? Good! In that case it gives me every right to say to you that YOU DESERVE TO BE HELPED!!
I worry about posting on things like this as I have too much to say lol
Do I be softly and encouraging or blunt and tell you to get your butt back to the drs?

Something very important to consider.
Is there a reason why you feel like this?
If there is then that's brilliant, you can talk it through with someone who isn't directly involved (like a counsellor or even one of us if it helps) and work at how it can be made better.
If you get a good counseller they can help very quickly just by taking away all the grey bits in your mind and pointing out the black and white so you can start to focus and feel better.
Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and actually very interesting!

If there is no specific reason you can think of then its likely to be a chemical imbalance that just needs a kick start. You have to give the pills chance to work but they aren't a permanent thing!
I had them for 8yrs and not had any in the last 6yrs so don't think it's the be all.

Exercise and healthy diet do help no end.

I can honestly say I've been depression free for 4yrs now.
I still get days when I struggle to get out of bed and things see like they won't get better but you know what, it's perfectly normal.
The difference is now I can say to myself "as hideous as this is, I know I will be back to my normal self if a few days.

For me the big change was when I decided that I wasn't going to fight it anymore. I accepted that it was a part of my life and instead learnt how to work round it (this is where a counseller helps)

I know if when I have a grey day I can either think oh god it's back, when will I ever feel better, or I can think "right, I need to warn my family, get a bit if extra support in for the kids, leave the housework and wait for it to pass. Cos it always does eventually. In the beginning it can feel like forever but it won't be.

When its a good day, make sure you enjoy it, don't use it to wait for the next.
Think how great it is that u are having such a good day.
Focus on them, not the days or weeks that are hard.
Don't see them as step backs, see them as obstacles.
You got through yesterday, you can do it again!

Fill yourself with positive quotes.

Don't (yet) start liking loads of pages on depression as actually it can be a self fulfilling prophecy and you start surrounding yourself with more of it.

Little steps, it takes a long time to manage these feelings so don't expect it to just disappear, but it will gradually get better.

More people have it than you know, they just don't tell you.
You need to look after yourself xx

So sorry for a long post, I could go on but I'll pause for breath! Lol

Just remember,
IT WILL BE OK, you just gotta get there xxx

you are not alone and this thread shows you that, im sure each and every one of us geeks will be here to support you through this.

Now is the time to get help, it will be a huge weight of your mind taking that step. You have told us so im sure your strong enough to see your gp.
don't delay make your appointment and let us know how things go xxx

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

I am so overwhelmed by the response in this I really I am! You are all making me feel so much better already, like you all say its surprising how many people have/do suffer from this and I'm really interested in the experiences of ppl who have taken the medication and who haven't .

To hear some people have to only be on it for a short while makes me feel better but if its long term I guess so be it.

Just to have the constant battle and that dark cloud to be gone would be wonderful.

I'm still a little shy on the idea of a counselor as every time I have attempted to talk to someone they always let me down. A friend of mine had depression and I spoke to her about it about 6 months again and she said you have depression you must talk to me when you have these thoughts don't hesitate etc etc so last week I actually plucked up the courage to open up to her, I asked if we could meet up for a chat, in fairness I didn't say about depression but I did say I could really do with seeing you....all I got back was extremely long texts telling me about how happy she is with her life, she has a house with her bf, there getting a fog etc etc she didn't know when shed have time to meet me but I could go to her house...well I'm not up for talking about it with a big scary dog in the house or her bf sitting in on the convo but what really hit me was after everything she said to me and the support shed give me was all forgotten! im not bitter that shes happy its great but i felt so let down and this is the story of my life, ppl just aren't there! I find it extremely hard to open up so when I try and get a kick back it knocks me ten steps back.

So the offers of help and support on here mean the world to me. It's easier as no one knows me and its such a nice thing to offer. It can't be easy having to listen to someone talk about how down yet are so I salute any of you that do this. It's lovely.

I think I will go back to my gp and see what she thinks. I'm getting the point where I'm feeling the control I have slipping away and I can't have myself loose it an do something silly!

Thank you feels for your support, stories am advice, it helps so much xxxxxx

In all fairness, if your friend had depression too, unless you shout at her "IM DEPRESSED I NEED YOU" she probably just didn't realise.

It's the thing I said, where when you have good days you throw yourself into them, grab all the positives and blank out any of the negatives. It's what helps u survive.
And actually, depression is a very selfish illness, you become quite self absorbed and wouldn't always notice what's happening around you. She may not be as happy as you think. Or she may be trying to be upbeat to help you x

You need to speak to someone who is there for you, completely! And yes a good counsellor makes a big difference. I had several rubbish ones before I found one who didn't try to cure me but instead worked on accepting myself. So don't give up :)

If you do seek advice from a counsellor, they are going to be there to support you, they are trained to do these things, it is their job. They won't let you down. It's easier to talk to a counsellor than you probably realise, because they are there for these situations, know how to make you feel at ease and can help clear those thoughts and grey areas we all have. But it may take time to find the person for you.

I agree that your friend probably didn't realise how you were and was probably trying to remain upbeat towards you so she thought she was doing fine.

Like Jigglyb4ll said, depression does become a very self-absorbed thing. You don't care about others, what they are doing etc. All you care about is this big dark cloud you have hovering over you and how you wish it would just go away, but sometimes wishing alone isn't going to make that happen.

Medication can be a short term thing, unfortunately for me I have been on them for 4 years now and I know if I don't take them I can get worse, even if I only miss a day! I definitely need them, but really didn't want them at the beginning, but I was so happy when they had started taking affect, I felt like I was the old me once more.

I lost control, I didn't know who I was, I started spending all day every day in bed. I didn't wash or shower, I couldn't see the point. I cried nearly all the time because these feelings wouldn't leave me. In the end, I was caught out by my boss and she talked me into going to the doctor, she saw that I was sticking pins in to my body and urged me to see someone. Please don't let yourself get that way.

I urge you to go back to your doctor and see what she says, I was offered a counsellor to begin with, but didn't accept the help, I just took the medication. I even emailed The Samaritans to talk to someone else about how I was feeling.

We are all here for you, and I'm sure we are all hoping for the day you come back and say you've spoken to your gp again.

I totally agree with you both there it is a self absorbed selfish illness that's why I struggle with because I think I shouldn't be feeling like this! I have the same problems as everyone else in the world so get on with it!! It's getting harder and harder am yes I agree I do forget what's happening around me and don't listen to ppl all the time, and I get some terrible paranoia!! I think this is one of the symptoms, but my word sometimes it's ridiculous, or I get really angry at stupid stuff! As an example I'm in a supermarket and if someone walks close to me in my mind I'm going just f*** off! Move away from me!!!! Real anger and as fast as I think it I think calm down!! What's the problem!! It's like a devil and angel constantly fighting. I've got little patience people anger me at the slightest of things I shouldn't be so aggressive I hate it!
Then some days like you say I'm the normal happy me! Smiley giggly...not a miserable paranoid cow lol

I try to work out what the problem is, I'm not really sure but I think it could be the feeling of so many let downs the past few years with certain things. Just betrayal by a few ppl which I thought I'd get over but maybe not maybe its all still in there getting bigger and bigger.

Also when I get stressed at work I feel that lump in my throat and I could so easily cry! Stupid! I don't, I manage to compose myself but its on the brink then when I am in my own out they come with no warning. I never put myself as a cryer but just lately I cry so much!

It's a horrible feeling as you all know and I try so hard to get active, eat well, research self help but maybe that's it I just got to give in and get some help

Sorry Im ranting a little here!! I'm going to look up about this cbt and counseling, see what I can do. Xxxxx

Out of interest, have you been put on any different contraception?
The reason I ask is because I had the implant for 3yrs and in that time my depression peaked. When it was removed it was like a switch turned off.
During that time I was very aggressive and it sounds similar to you.

It's a long shot but thought I'd mention it x

No worth an ask! Yes I was changed in about September last year, due to getting very bad skin, they put it down to that so I changed but have recently changed again just over a week or so ago as I went back because I was bleeding between periods and that caused me more worry, I had all sorts going through my mind. It could be a trigger but I know I had this before I changed the pill so I'm not sure but it could certainly be a trigger, I know the one she changed me too was a very powerful one as I researched it and ppl advised you should be on that particular one no longer than 3/6 months so I was going to ask her about that but due to my latest problem she has switched me anyway.

I have heard that people who have the implant do suffer with mood swings, depression etc, I think it's quite common.

No worth an ask! Yes I was changed in about September last year, due to getting very bad skin, they put it down to that so I changed but have recently changed again just over a week or so ago as I went back because I was bleeding between periods and that caused me more worry, I had all sorts going through my mind. It could be a trigger but I know I had this before I changed the pill so I'm not sure but it could certainly be a trigger, I know the one she changed me too was a very powerful one as I researched it and ppl advised you should be on that particular one no longer than 3/6 months so I was going to ask her about that but due to my latest problem she has switched me anyway.

I have heard that people who have the implant do suffer with mood swings, depression etc, I think it's quite common.

I would definitely consider taking a break from any contraception, and just allow your body time to adjust,
I'm a nightmare on any contraception really low moods, since last summer I'm au natural and feeling alot better

Take care x

I suffered from depression for years & refused help - didn't get me anywhere, made it worse!

Depression isn't something to be embarrassed or ashamed about. Thousands of people suffer from it & not even realise it. The medication doesn't cure you.. It helps 40% but you need to put the 60% in to get better.

Depression is a sign that you've been strong for too long, always remember that.

Hope you feel better soon xx

I get angry really angry example if someone stops in front of me with a shopping trolly they do get the big F*** off from me out load to there face lol or if someone leaves there trolly in the middle of the isle they will fined there trolly 2 isles down where I've pushed it there lol.

I suffered from psycosis for a long time im not going to go into details because it was to bad but it was not nice I'm ok now but it can always come back at any time either by a trigger of just appear.I just surround myself in good fun,good people.If something bad happens I just think f*** it hey ho.I deal with it in my own way take a few days to deal with it and then move on.

I can say you will get there you really will.

Don't think that by getting angry at things it's just because ur depressed lol your allowed to be angry sometimes I know I do lol and it's at stupid things but they pis* me off so that's that.xxx

I have a mental image now of all these beauticians randomly having little hulk moments in the middle of relaxing treatments :D
Haha x

i go through stages of depression and then jump back out of it so quickly

I feel like that when my hormones are haywire..

Ask your GP for a blood test, as a Vit D deficiency is linked to depression.

Surround yourself with positive and supportive people. Negative people will just get you down even more.

There are so many words of support here, you're not alone.

No shame in seeking help xxx

I suffered from terrible depression when I had the depo-provera jab. In retrospect, it worked very well as a contraceptive because I totally wasn’t interested in sex at all! It was a terrible time, and the worst thing was I had to wait 12 weeks until the hormones wore off. I was prone to crying fits all the time, for example if I saw a sad news story or saw a sad film. I would also shout at my ex all the time (he was a w*nker anyway which didn’t help). Anyway, it’s an awful condition and I really feel for you, but you’ll be surprised how common it is. It’s such a shame that some people don’t like to talk about it.

Aw I know there's so much support here and kind words, just amazed at how common it is and people's experiences its really helping me along.

Well I've had a real rough couple of says with it this week. The smallest of things have set me off, made so angry sad I spent one evening crying my eyes out I've been struggling to get myself out of it this week I try so hard! I tell myself come on cheer up! Get on with it! Smile etc etc but this week nothing had worked!! I went out for runs to run off the emotion even that didn't help. So I called up my docs and I've got an appointment for Monday. I have decided that I can't seem to beat this on my own so I have thought about it hard and I am going to try some medication. I hate feeling so down and sad all the time it's not me really and knowing how hard I'm trying to help myself it's not working so I admitted to myself that actually I need help and if that is medication then so be it. Has to better than this right?

I find it so odd today I'm a lot better, I still have my moments today at work where ppl make me mad but I'm not feeling sad today so why can't I be like this everyday? It's so up and down I wish I could understand it better.

I'm slowly researching it and trying to help and understand myself more but this no control over feelings actions gets to me so I'm really hoping some medication can help my mood and then I can get better.

Please read CRACKED BY JAMES DAVIES before you take the pills route. you still have to work out what is the cause of depression even if you mask it with pills for abit. There are loads of reasons for depression .... your early years as a child.... coeliac...... bullying at work....contraception pill.....bad relationship..... other medication you are on.....recreational drugs.....stress.....etc. Its up to you to work it out. Eating a healthy gluten free diet ,exercise, checking out your other medication(not just on the side effects list but looking on an internet forum people will tell you the real side effects!), sorting your life out(make it simple and less stressful) and getting a new interesting hobby should be a good start. we have all been there xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back