Designer dogs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
What do you all think about the designer dog trend.Someone who I saw yesterday had a lovely puppy and I said what breed is it and she said its a jug.
A pug and a Jack Russell there are puggels,labradoodles jackapoos, cockapoos surely we are talking mongrels or badly bred dogs.
My lab was hip scored,eye tested etc and I know her family tree and temperament,so hopefully she will be a healthy dog but as designer dogs are not recognised as a breed you could be buying a real problem?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan. I like dogs. Mines a dog. Probably a staffy boxer cross or maybe he was designer - a boffy perhaps. I had a male client who had a cockerpoo. I think it sounds so stupid I couldn't have one. And the thought of my burly husband saying in a thick scouse accent 'that's right mate, a cockerpoo' just cracks me up. I have only had rescue dogs since I was child so the thought of 'designer' dogs is a bit weird!

Vic x

This should be in the posh thread ...so I have a Rottpard or is that a germanweiler..

2 breeds a cross
3 is a mutt

Or is that too common?

I once asked a fellow dogwalker if her cute dog was a spaniel cross...

'Eh no, he's a cockapoo' was the haughty response.

So a spaniel cross then luv!

My gorgeous pup is a lab cross boxer, apparently they're a big thing in the US - they call them boxadors! We didn't get him as a designer dog though, just the dog who I fell in love with!

I think there's equal problems with pure breeds and cross breeds if they're bred irresponsibly without care for inbreeding, genetic disorders etc

Rx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a labrador and a cockerspaniel cross lab (cockerdor)

I didnt go for my cockerdor for the whole designer dog, im pleased with my mongrel she is the most friendlist nuttiest pup ever! We bought her from the same breeder (friends) we originally got our labrador from.

I wouldnt change her for the world... not even a pedigree

Here is a photo of my dog (half asleep)
I hope you find the photo as funny as I did lol

Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1398803769370.jpg
    1398803769370.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 270
This should be in the posh thread ...so I have a Rottpard or is that a germanweiler..

2 breeds a cross
3 is a mutt

Or is that too common?

Lol my husband reckons our dog was designed to go with him. They're both big, broad and look a little rough round the edges but have the most wonderful personalities and are gentle kind and lovely!

I don't agree with cross breeding but there is nothing I can do about it. It will continue to happen. I care about all dogs and as long as they are fed, walked and loved unconditionally, that's what matters to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all dogs, really love them. I don't agree with cross breeding on purpose to make a designer dog but only because I know what problems it creates and it's motivated by money, but give me any dog and I'll love it

Everyone had a mutt when I was young we had our Patch ,goodness knows what he was but he lived till 16.
I think the problem now is people are breeding one breed with another breed but not checking the problems that come with that particular breed.

I think it's quite funny, surely it's just a crossbreed/mutt?! And people are paying stupid money for them 😂my mums dog is a plain old mutt from a farm who we got for free...mostly patterdale/jack Russell with a bit of Westie I think for good measure :) dad said he saw a man in the pub with her absolute double...apparently it wasn't a mutt and was some sort of pedigree...oops ;) here she is ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398805558.622472.jpg

I think it's quite funny, surely it's just a crossbreed/mutt?! And people are paying stupid money for them 😂my mums dog is a plain old mutt from a farm who we got for free...mostly patterdale/jack Russell with a bit of Westie I think for good measure :) dad said he saw a man in the pub with her absolute double...apparently it wasn't a mutt and was some sort of pedigree...oops ;) here she is View attachment 63650
That's a proper dog :)

I think it's quite funny, surely it's just a crossbreed/mutt?! And people are paying stupid money for them 😂my mums dog is a plain old mutt from a farm who we got for free...mostly patterdale/jack Russell with a bit of Westie I think for good measure :) dad said he saw a man in the pub with her absolute double...apparently it wasn't a mutt and was some sort of pedigree...oops ;) here she is View attachment 63650

She's beautiful

We have a Jack Russell crossed with a Chihuahua. I get 'Oh he's a Jackhauhau'. Er no he's a mongrel!

We didn't but him because he's a designer dog, we bought as we wanted a small cross breed. He was also considerably cheaper than a pure breed.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398806078.793431.jpg

He's called Baxter!

Cross breeding is how new breeds are established. All dogs breeds are the way they are because we bred them to be so. And as we no longer rely on them as much for physical purposes/work, people now do more so for "designer" aesthetic reasons.
Leonbergers were originally made from a mix of Pyrenean Mountain Dog, St Bernard and Newfoundland. X
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398806424.750664.jpg

She looks like she's almost definitely got border terrier in her! Working dogs often found on farms xx

She looks like she's almost definitely got border terrier in her! Working dogs often found on farms xx

We often get that! She's very border-like :) her dad was a jack Russell and mum looked kind of like a grey westie...lol! She's the cutest dog, so good natured. Cuddly, not 'yappy', loves kids, will walk all day if you let her but just as happy snoozing in bed being a lazy bum. Love her x

I have a pugzu (half pedigree pug half pedigree shih tzu) not because I chose to have a 'designer dog' but because I love pugs but A-there's so many problems with there eyes, breathing and everything else you get wrong with pugs and B-because he was a fraction of the price of a pure pug, insurance and everything else that goes with them.

He's an amazing cross breed who is great with people other dogs and children especially. He doesn't malt because he's half shih tzu. People will think what they think about designer dogs at the end of the day as long as they are fed watered taken for long walks and have unconditional love surrounding them and not used to put in a handbag does it really matter?

It won't let me upload a pic! :( but he's gorgeous!

They are just made up names, they aren't real breeds. Don't know who started it lol

I don't agree with cross breeding but there is nothing I can do about it. It will continue to happen. I care about all dogs and as long as they are fed, walked and loved unconditionally, that's what matters to me.

Why don't you agree with it?

Latest posts

Back