Desperate to take better nail pics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
Whilst working my way through the 'whats your salon Facebook' topic and liking all the pages I have come across some amazing photos taken of nails. The nails themselves are things that I have also done but the photography and apps used are absolutely stunning, there is one page in particular that has hundreds of likes per page and the nails are lovely but the photo makes them look out of this world perfect. The backgrounds are faded out, parts of the pics are focused whilst some are faded and they look so bright and its really inspiring me to learn to take better pics. Can anyone give me advise please. I have been told photoshop is good but expensive x

Hi there, there are a number of apps and photo editing programs/sites that are free but can achieve what you talk about here.
Google Google Google (gimp is a popular one)

However when fading certain parts in a nail pic can give off a fake impression. If you are producing beautiful nails you should learn how to show them off with no editing and no filters.
What camera do you currently use? Try different angles,.lighting, and even hand position(of model)

Thanks for the response, I currently use tge 5 megapixels camera on my mobile with a photo editor app and instagram. I bought a canon coolpix camera which is 12 megapixels thinking it would really make a difference but ut doesn't focus on close up images and constantly clicks like its trying to focus, someone mentioned to me that it would work better if it was on a tripod but thats not practical with wanting to take different angled pics x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

If you can afford it, treat yourself to a digital SLR with a 50mm standard lens - should be good for close up nail pics.

Are they expensive? And do you buy the lenses seperately? X

Yes, they are expensive - say from £200/£300 up to quadruple figures. But for serious photography well worth the investment. And lens (close up/standard/wide angle/telephoto) are interchangeable and available separately. I want one!

Last edited:
Most cameras these days have a 'macro' button (looks like a little flower). But it needs a very steady hand! A little desktop tripod will usually do it

Ive got macro on my phone camera but its still not very good, I would love a professional camera but I don't have that much money going spare at the minute xx

Thanks for the response, I currently use tge 5 megapixels camera on my mobile with a photo editor app and instagram. I bought a canon coolpix camera which is 12 megapixels thinking it would really make a difference but ut doesn't focus on close up images and constantly clicks like its trying to focus, someone mentioned to me that it would work better if it was on a tripod but thats not practical with wanting to take different angled pics x

your canon coolpix camera will take a pretty decent picture but you will need to take the camera closer to the nails rather than zooming in on it. if you zoom in on the set of nails the picture is to close for the camera to work out how to focus on that particular image whereas with no zoom the camera will be able to focus and give you a great picture. hope this helps

your canon coolpix camera will take a pretty decent picture but you will need to take the camera closer to the nails rather than zooming in on it. if you zoom in on the set of nails the picture is to close for the camera to work out how to focus on that particular image whereas with no zoom the camera will be able to focus and give you a great picture. hope this helps

Latest posts

Back