Diabetes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
It's national diabetes day and I wanted to start a thread to raise awareness and start a thread where we can share experiences, tips and advice.

The campaign to raise awareness is focusing on type 1 in children. Remember the 4 t's.

Thirty, thinner, tired, toilet.

25% of children were diagnose during dka which is highly dangerous.

I'm type 1 diabetic. X

My beautiful friend who suffered with diabetes passed away in his sleep on 15th September; today would have been his 29th birthday.

Great idea for a thread hun, so important to raise awareness of this condition xxx

My beautiful friend who suffered with diabetes passed away in his sleep on 15th September; today would have been his 29th birthday.

Great idea for a thread hun, so important to raise awareness of this condition xxx

Thinking of you. Some think its an illness people survive! On the whole it is but it can kill :-( it is so important people know that x

Thinking of you. Some think its an illness people survive! On the whole it is but it can kill :-( it is so important people know that x

Absolutely, if I'm honest I had no idea how serious it can be, it was always a running joke that he was constantly leaving his insulin in my car and that his lifestyle wasn't exactly healthy. Had we understood one day he just wouldn't wake up I would have made it my mission to help him manage it.

I'm sure there's tons of people on SG who know someone with diabetes and if this thread helps one person understand how serious it can be it would be amazing X

Absolutely, if I'm honest I had no idea how serious it can be, it was always a running joke that he was constantly leaving his insulin in my car and that his lifestyle wasn't exactly healthy. Had we understood one day he just wouldn't wake up I would have made it my mission to help him manage it.

I'm sure there's tons of people on SG who know someone with diabetes and if this thread helps one person understand how serious it can be it would be amazing X

Gemma you have made me realise myself! I'm 29 and I don't read too much about it because it scares me! But you shook me up to be a bit more serious! I constantly joke, miss insulin and I brush it off. Hopefully people will start to realise how serious it can be. How important it is to keep healthy and avoid type 2 and keep an eye on their children also x

Awwww I didn't mean to scare u hun, there are thousands of people who manage their condition just fine even though they miss insulin etc and I don't blame you for not reading about it, you'd drive yourself insane if you read all the scary stuff and worried about it all the time. But forewarned is forearmed, had this thread been created this time last year my friend might have been celebrating his birthday with us today X

Awwww I didn't mean to scare u hun, there are thousands of people who manage their condition just fine even though they miss insulin etc and I don't blame you for not reading about it, you'd drive yourself insane if you read all the scary stuff and worried about it all the time. But forewarned is forearmed, had this thread been created this time last year my friend might have been celebrating his birthday with us today X

You only scared me in a good way Hun xx

You know, I never knew it could be life threatening, just an illness which you watch your diet and have to inject insulin.
Thank you for sharing this, I'm going to read up on it and inform myself.

Hi, I thinks this is a great thread, I am type 1 diabetic myself. When I was first diagnosed I nearly ended up in a diabetic coma (blood sugars were 35). That was 8years ago now, but I think it's really good to raise awareness xx

Great thread. I have a couple of clients who are diabetic and that's made me try and educate myself a bit more. I still have a lot to learn. How about we all put a fact about our dealings with diabetes so it might help someone else learn a bit more?

My fact: both my clients have slight peripheral neuropathy (numbness in the toes in their case). When carrying out a treatment you have to be extra careful in these areas as they may not be able to tell you're hurting them. E.g. Light effleurage and often insurance says no metal tools.

Hope the OP doesn't mind me suggesting we try to learn more xx

Great thread. I have a couple of clients who are diabetic and that's made me try and educate myself a bit more. I still have a lot to learn. How about we all put a fact about our dealings with diabetes so it might help someone else learn a bit more?

My fact: both my clients have slight peripheral neuropathy (numbness in the toes in their case). When carrying out a treatment you have to be extra careful in these areas as they may not be able to tell you're hurting them. E.g. Light effleurage and often insurance says no metal tools.

Not all all. I have numbness in my fingers. I have blogged about treatments on diabetics previously. I think it is great to learn. And important we do so! Xx

My fact. Every diabetic is affected differently by different foods. I can eat a kit Kat! But I avoid milk and dairy at all costs.

Both my parents are type 2, I personally have been tested to see if I have it as I'm more at risk, I don't, but I'm also ashamed to say I don't really know that much about the condition!! Thanks to the person who started this thread I will be reading up on it also :)

Both my parents are type 2, I personally have been tested to see if I have it as I'm more at risk, I don't, but I'm also ashamed to say I don't really know that much about the condition!! Thanks to the person who started this thread I will be reading up on it also :)

Are any or both of them insulin dependent? Xx

This is a fantastic thread. please keep posting more information not only for us personally but professionally for our clients too.

My grandad had diabetes and my uncle has just been diagnosed, neither had to take insulin. Could someone post the difference between type one and two please
Thank you x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Are any or both of them insulin dependent? Xx

No both tablet controlled, my dad has a lot of other illnesses on top of being diabetic, he has high blood pressure, arthritis, thickening of the blood to name a few!! He takes 19 tablets a day :-(

This is a fantastic thread. please keep posting more information not only for us personally but professionally for our clients too.

My grandad had diabetes and my uncle has just been diagnosed, neither had to take insulin. Could someone post the difference between type one and two please
Thank you x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Type 1 diabetics will always be insulin dependent. Their pancreas does not produce insulin. Used to be called juvenile diabetes as a majority of diagnosis' are during childhood, early adulthood. But can appear at any time. Later in life infection is thought to attack the pancreas.

Type 2 diabetes is mostly common in overweight, people over the age of 45 or can brought on through various medications. Type 2 diabetes has the possibility of being controlled trough diet and exercise but this is tough on the patient. The body doesn't produce enough insulin and sugar
builds up in the blood.

Type 1.5 or lada is a type of diabetes that will eventually turn into type 1.

Complications family should be aware of are

Hypos...

Low blood sugar. Can occur from drinkin alcohol, too much exercise, too much insulin.

Symptoms are blurred vision, weak, pale, drunk like, passing out, high heart rate, feeling very hungry, coma

You should offer or if necessary for sugary drinks, jam, glucose tablets. Chocolate is slow acting. Many people think its good but it can be too slow. Milk can be good for some patients

Hypers

Loss of appetite, frequent urination, thirst, vision blurring, losing weight

Caused by elevated blood sugars, missing insulin, consuming too much sugar/carbs than your body and/or medication can handle

Prolonged elevated blood sugars can lead to ketoacidosis. Usually in type 1 diabetics. This is serious and can lead to death.

Prolonged high blood sugars in a type 2 is a slower process but is still dangerous.

Common complications with diabetes are

Nerve damage, weight problems, heart disease, stroke, septicaemia.

Wounds are more prone to infections and take longer to heal

Also I've taken this from a website to detail complications further

Diabetic Nephropathy (Kidney Disease)
Diabetic Neuropathy
With neuropathy, is also:

Autonomic Neuropathy
Motor Neuropathy
Sensory Neuropathy
Continuing with the organs, are the following complications:

Diabetic Nerve Pain
Fatty Liver Disease and Diabetes
Heart Disease and Diabetes
Hypertension and Diabetes
Mental Health and Diabetes
Skin Care and Diabetes
Stroke and Diabetes
Eyes and Vision

Diabetic Retinopathy
Diabetic Retinopathy Symptoms
Diabetic Maculopathy
Cataracts
Eye Disease and Diabetes
Glaucoma
Visual Impairment and Diabetes
Feet and Skin

Foot Care and Diabetes
Foot Ulcers and Diabetes
Hand Conditions and Disorders
Joint Pain and Diabetes
Oral Health

Dental Health and Diabetes
Dry Mouth and Diabetes
Gum Disease and Diabetes
Complications

Amputation and Diabetes
Coeliac Disease and Diabetes
Cholesterol and Diabetes
Dead in Bed Syndrome
Erectile Dysfunction and Diabetes
Fibromyalgia and Diabetes
Gastroparesis and Diabetes
Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome
Memory Loss and Diabetes
Nocturia and Diabetes
Peripheral Arterial Disease
Urinary Tract Infections and Diabetes
Yeast Infections and Diabetes

Hope this helps xxxx

My grandpa had type 1 :( when we were around 5 or 6 we had to learn were his chocolate bars were hidden (if he went into shock) and how to give him his needles just in case. He was such a great grandfather. I miss him and love him soso much.
He never complained and he included us in everything, he never made it scary for us even when we did have to help him with his insulain.
I hope I will be half the parent and grandparent that he was to us. I miss him and I think we all need to be educated on this subject not only for our sakes, but for our clients aswell. Because of what I learned as a child I am always aware of the risks and I owe him a big thankyou for that too.

I hope everyone takes a moment to read up on this subject
Xoxo

My grandpa had type 1 :( when we were around 5 or 6 we had to learn were his chocolate bars were hidden (if he went into shock) and how to give him his needles just in case. He was such a great grandfather. I miss him and love him soso much.
He never complained and he included us in everything, he never made it scary for us even when we did have to help him with his insulain.
I hope I will be half the parent and grandparent that he was to us. I miss him and I think we all need to be educated on this subject not only for our sakes, but for our clients aswell. Because of what I learned as a child I am always aware of the risks and I owe him a big thankyou for that too.

I hope everyone takes a moment to read up on this subject
Xoxo

That's so lovely xxxx he would be proud of u I am sure xx

My beautiful wee cousin Nicola was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 14.
She rebelled against, hating the hold it had over her, never looking after herself and keeping her blood sugars under control.
She was naturally slim and when she got sick she couldn't afford to lose much weight and it affected her sugars and ketones so much.

She was in and out of hospital for years, with ketoacidosis and other diabetes related problems, it became a way of life and we got used to it. It wasn't a shock anymore when she was ill or in hospital.
She became partially blind, lost feeling in parts of her body.
She became very ill, the doctors took a while to diagnose her, but she had developed diabetic neuropathy. She had to suffer extreme pain- the feeling in all of her nerves was as if she were on fire or being stabbed. The drs hadn't a clue they removed her gall bladder unnecessarily before they worked out what was happening.
She was doped up on painkillers, they made her fuzzy and she couldn't read. She had to have injections in her spine which were incredibly painful for her.

She was so thin and was in a wheelchair, it was heartbreaking to see!
My wee cousin Nicola was like a sister to me and was my best friend.

On the 1st of April 2011, aged 24, Nicola fell asleep on her sofa and never woke up.

To say we have been devastated is a complete understatement, there are no words to describe our grief, the loss has been simply awful.

So I beg anyone who has diabetes to please, please, look after yourself, the warnings of diabetes complications are very real and avoidable. I miss Nicola everyday, it hasn't gotten any easier, so if you have been irresponsible with your health then please think about your family and how life would be for them if you were gone...

Xx

Latest posts

Back