Diabetes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stepdads mum has type 1.

She has had it for years and has never taken care of herself.

Her weight has spiralled due to the amount of crap and alcohol she drank and was put on tablets which made her gain more weight.

She is now going blind, is in and out of hospital and cannot walk. She is severely ill. If only she had stuck to her meds and her diet instead of constantly drink red wine and eating Chinese(her dr told her to stay away from crap fast food) then she wouldn't be this ill. I do feel ever so sorry for her but then I don't. My poor nana who died in excruciating pain from cancer had no choice to be ill but my stepnan was able to control hers and find her very selfish as everyone is on tenterhooks when the phone calls come from her friend who looks after her. I have never been in the situation of having to control eating & drinking habits etc but if it came to me not eating certain things and going blind and being immobile and not seeing my family I wouldn't eat anything I wasn't meant to again.

I watched this morning earlier this week where this woman learnt to control her insulin to help her lose weight, she wouldn't take it and lose weight even though it was so dangerous, she is now partially sighted and having trouble having children etc all for weight loss. It's such a shame.

It is a very nasty disease and so dangerous! X

Hi.
I have type 1 diabetes and have done since I was 11 which is coming up to 23years in January. I am lucky in most ways as I have not experienced very much nerve damage only in the last couple of months and am waiting for some tests. I have a beautiful little girl who is now 3 and had a very health pregnancy with her although it was hard work keeping bloodsugar levels at slightly below normal the whole time. However worth every moment, which I am reminded of everytime I look at her.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

[QUOTE=Nails

Love that you shared this.

Diabetes can come with many mental health issues too. It is sometimes very hard to accept the illness and that can have an effect on what you eat.

Whether that's too much or not enough. A few years ago i would have agreed but now I know different. Whilst I watch every little thing I eat and do not indulge or drink I am guilty of not fully looking after myself.

It's not an easy disease to live with. It affects so many aspects of daily life. It can make you very depressed and people tend to eat junk when they are depressed. It can spiral out of control I would say xxx

Hugs for your grandmother :-( xx

[QUOTE=Nails

I also watched the lady on this morning and it made me very cross as she deliberately made herself ill. So many individuals struggle to keep themselves well and it is hard.
I did feel sorry for her but also annoyed that she was choosing to make herself ill

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

My beautiful wee cousin Nicola was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 14.
She rebelled against, hating the hold it had over her, never looking after herself and keeping her blood sugars under control.
She was naturally slim and when she got sick she couldn't afford to lose much weight and it affected her sugars and ketones so much.

She was in and out of hospital for years, with ketoacidosis and other diabetes related problems, it became a way of life and we got used to it. It wasn't a shock anymore when she was ill or in hospital.
She became partially blind, lost feeling in parts of her body.
She became very ill, the doctors took a while to diagnose her, but she had developed diabetic neuropathy. She had to suffer extreme pain- the feeling in all of her nerves was as if she were on fire or being stabbed. The drs hadn't a clue they removed her gall bladder unnecessarily before they worked out what was happening.
She was doped up on painkillers, they made her fuzzy and she couldn't read. She had to have injections in her spine which were incredibly painful for her.

She was so thin and was in a wheelchair, it was heartbreaking to see!
My wee cousin Nicola was like a sister to me and was my best friend.

On the 1st of April 2011, aged 24, Nicola fell asleep on her sofa and never woke up.

To say we have been devastated is a complete understatement, there are no words to describe our grief, the loss has been simply awful.

So I beg anyone who has diabetes to please, please, look after yourself, the warnings of diabetes complications are very real and avoidable. I miss Nicola everyday, it hasn't gotten any easier, so if you have been irresponsible with your health then please think about your family and how life would be for them if you were gone...

Xx

I am so sorry for yours and your family's loss, thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story, big hugs xx

I am so sorry for yours and your family's loss, thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story, big hugs xx

Thanks hun xx

i think this is such a great post, makes you think about everything that can happen!!

my dad has type 2 diabetes and my mother has type 1. my dad's blood sugar level dropped to 2.5 the other day, making him have a minor stroke :( he had been kept in hospital for a few days, and thankfully he is out now but he is still not right. we have now been told that the arteries to his brain are clogging up, so we need to keep a close eye on him for any "stroke" signs and really monitor what he is eating - as he is a terrible diabetic, always sneaking sweets!!! i am constantly telling him off for this!

it makes me upset to read all of your posts for the loss of your loved ones, i am sorry to hear this. hopefully everyone will one day realise how serious the condition is! xxx

So sorry to read some of these posts - so very, very sad. Thank you for sharing your experiences as it gives people an idea of how serious diabetes is. Hugs xx

great thread

my dad is type 1 diabetic and has been since he was 3 years old, he is now 70!!!not may people live to have diabetes for 67 years!!i am very lucky. He does watch what he eats and eats at exact same time every day, however he still has several hypos a week and sometimes we have to call paramedics out as we cannot get him round. This is because where he has injected insulin 4 times a day for 67 years there are like fatty build ups inside him stopping the insulin from getting to him properly.

It is a dangerous illness that should be taken very seriously xx

Suze, just read your post...you sound similar to me... my dad also has calcification of the arteries which is causing slight problems also. My dad is going down to sugar levels of 1.5 on a weekly basis at the moment!! it is very worrying xx

I can highly reccomend Lizi's Granola for breakfast it is Low Glycemic load (good carbs)and therefore keeps suger levels stable - I buy mine from Amazon, apple & cinnamon is yummy!

Souz, thanks for this, its quite scary eh? just need to keep an eye on them and watch what they eat i suppose. worrying thing is my dad tries to hide it alot when he is feeling ill. at least i know my dad isnt the only one, i take it this is a common diabetic thing?

its maybe a bit of "oversharing" here but one thing i have noticed is my dad has quite alot of accidents (toilet wise) and when this happens, his blood sugar level drops. has this happened to your dad at all? xx

So sorry to read some of these posts - so very, very sad. Thank you for sharing your experiences as it gives people an idea of how serious diabetes is. Hugs xx

It really can be serious, people just aren't aware of this ❤ xx

I can highly reccomend Lizi's Granola for breakfast it is Low Glycemic load (good carbs)and therefore keeps suger levels stable - I buy mine from Amazon, apple & cinnamon is yummy!
I am going straight to amazon and buying some as I struggle so hard with what ever I eat in the morning, and am ill every single morning. This really cant be good for me and when my sugar lvls are raised like this I cant think straight and it gets me down so much I don't want to be around anymore. I am a late developing type 1 diabetic. I am also a naughty diabetic who doesn't want to have it so ignores it! But after reading all your post I shall be watching myself closely, I am a wife and mummy to 3 little ones so MUST take better care of myself. I also suffer with loss of feeling in my finger tips and toes. I really have to get this under control. Sometimes in the morning I have a green smoothie (freshly made by me) and that helps a little with my morning lvls. But even this can knock them up a little.
Thanks so much for bringing this thread up as it really has made me pay more attention to my illness....yes I do have an illness and I need to love myself and take better care of myself. :hug:

I am going straight to amazon and buying some as I struggle so hard with what ever I eat in the morning, and am ill every single morning. This really cant be good for me and when my sugar lvls are raised like this I cant think straight and it gets me down so much I don't want to be around anymore. I am a late developing type 1 diabetic. I am also a naughty diabetic who doesn't want to have it so ignores it! But after reading all your post I shall be watching myself closely, I am a wife and mummy to 3 little ones so MUST take better care of myself. I also suffer with loss of feeling in my finger tips and toes. I really have to get this under control. Sometimes in the morning I have a green smoothie (freshly made by me) and that helps a little with my morning lvls. But even this can knock them up a little.
Thanks so much for bringing this thread up as it really has made me pay more attention to my illness....yes I do have an illness and I need to love myself and take better care of myself. :hug:

Reading this is like reading about myself :-(

Souz, thanks for this, its quite scary eh? just need to keep an eye on them and watch what they eat i suppose. worrying thing is my dad tries to hide it alot when he is feeling ill. at least i know my dad isnt the only one, i take it this is a common diabetic thing?

its maybe a bit of "oversharing" here but one thing i have noticed is my dad has quite alot of accidents (toilet wise) and when this happens, his blood sugar level drops. has this happened to your dad at all? xx

my dad is very strict about what he eats etc, it was drummed into him in the diabetic hostel he attended as a child. He reads the labels of everything and yest he still has lots of hypos! he has never had accidents as you put them though although they are all different. my mum keeps him on a tight rain so he cant hide anything! we even go to his hospital appts so that he cant hide!!x

my dad is very strict about what he eats etc, it was drummed into him in the diabetic hostel he attended as a child. He reads the labels of everything and yest he still has lots of hypos! he has never had accidents as you put them though although they are all different. my mum keeps him on a tight rain so he cant hide anything! we even go to his hospital appts so that he cant hide!!x
i think thats what me and mum will need to do from now on, cause clearly he isnt managing to do it himself. at age 68 you would think he would have a strict routine by now!!

Glad the suggestion will help you :D There are different flavours of granola to choose from, I buy the 40g packets so its measured, easier to transport to work and eat it with a small pot of natural organic yoghurt.

I am not Diabetic however I take Metformin due to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) due to insulin resistance caused by PCOS, hence why I have had to source low Glycemic load (GL) foods.

Taken from Wikipedia: Glycemic load accounts for how much carbohydrate is in the food and how much each gram of carbohydrate in the food raises blood glucose levels.

My aunty developed type 2 a few years ago.

I also have 2 friends I used to work with who have both been diagnosed as type 2 in the last couple of years. Both were warned for years by their doctors about their weight and horrific diets (plus it was in both their families) but never listened.

Just wanted to up date all who followed this thread, I have now tried Lizi's Granola with some yogurt for breakfast and guess what? It worked!! For the first time in a long time I didnt struggle with my BMs after Breakfast and stayed wide awake!! Thanks so much for suggesting this <3

Latest posts

Back