Did friend's nails on Saturday-they came off Monday!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyLynn

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am new to this site and am a 3rd week nail tech student [woop]

On Friday night I did a set of acrylics on myself using OPI's Clairite products and they are still on and looking fabulous! Just gotta repolish them :p

Saturday I went to a nail supply store and purchased duckfeet tips, p/w powder and some monomer. I decided to practice on my friend and I went through all the motions of acrylics and there were a couple that had a little gap from the pink & white but stayed on Saturday night and all Sunday.
She tells me yesterday (Monday) that they all popped off except 1!!:Scared: How does that even happen!! She said that one came off when she was putting her pants on and the rest just came off easily. I'm thinking she just popped the rest of them off herself but when I looked at her non acrylic'd nails they looked like I had never filed/etched them or anything! Now I didn't realize that the monomer I was using had mma in it til I got to class yesterday evening but that shouldn't be the total reason they came off so easily would it?? I'm stumped at this moment and really discouraged even though I'm still very new in the nail tech world.

Does anyone have any advice for doing acrylics that could help me and help my nails from coming off after a day?

Thank you :)

Could you go through step by step of your application? Maybe then we can see where it went wrong as to me it sounds like incorrect prep. X

I was talking to the girls in my class and they say that bc the primer and liquid(MMA) were different they counteracted each other and that's why the nails didn't stay on. I'm gonna try again this weekend but with opi l/p and primer

MMA? You do know this is unsuitable for use on the nails? Its a chemical used in forming dentures.
If you've been using that and your nails aren't staying on I'm highly surprised, although if you're prepping how you should for proper L&P and then using that they won't, it only bonds to highly roughened surfaces, that's why when its used in NSS Salons they prep using an efile on the natural nail.
Please follow your own advice of switching to a good, well known and suitable brand, MMA is yacky stuff :( x

MistyLynn.

I had used before 2 different branch of monomer and powder on clients. Their acrylic nails lasted not less than 3 weeks, it,s not right to mix different products branch I know, I don,t do it anymore, but a few months ago since it was hard for me to find nails products here, I did mix different branch products. This wasn,t a cause of nails falling off or lifting, the cause of any issue was because of bad prep or bad application.

Don,t be disappointed for your first experience with a client, my first client was an extreme nail biter, I did sculpted to her and 2 days later 4 nails were completely off, her natural nails did looked like she never had acrylic on, like I never filed or anything. This was my first experience with a client, a bad one by the way, but the cause of this was me and a bad prep, you should never leave gasp, shadows, let acrylic touch the cuticle, etc. You,re learning, relax, things will come with time and experience, just practice, practice, practice and use poducts from the same branch.

I agree with corn_pops. I still think it is the prep what is causing the nails to come off. Again, maybe if you could give us a breakdown of how prep & do the nails, maybe we can help

The best advice I can give you is, if you are training using OPI Clairite then you should use this system throughout your training for every set of nails. Buying cheap products that are not part of a system from wholesalers is a recipe for disaster which could end up knocking your confidence.

Stick with what you are training with and discuss any problems you encounter with your Educator. Good Luck.

MMA? You do know this is unsuitable for use on the nails? Its a chemical used in forming dentures.
If you've been using that and your nails aren't staying on I'm highly surprised, although if you're prepping how you should for proper L&P and then using that they won't, it only bonds to highly roughened surfaces, that's why when its used in NSS Salons they prep using an efile on the natural nail.
Please follow your own advice of switching to a good, well known and suitable brand, MMA is yacky stuff :( x

Yes I do know that it is illegal to use but i didn't know that it was mma until I talked to my teacher about it. The store I bought it from didn't tell me that's what I was buying

I agree with corn_pops. I still think it is the prep what is causing the nails to come off. Again, maybe if you could give us a breakdown of how prep & do the nails, maybe we can help

Well I had her scrub her hands first and then I filed her nails so they were all even, then I etched the nail beds with a 180 file, dusted them off, applied nail tips, put dehydrator on i let that dry and then I put primer on. right after that I started putting the acrylic on and then I filed it when I was done. It was the same exact thing that I had done to my own nails so that's why I was so confused that hers came off quick and mine are still on and that it couldn't be the prep but the products

Yes I do know that it is illegal to use but i didn't know that it was mma until I talked to my teacher about it. The store I bought it from didn't tell me that's what I was buying

I wasn't trying to be horrible in what I was saying. But some people don't know its not for use on nails, and like I said the prep is vigorous and often painful so if you're prepping the way you would with a reputable product that's why they were coming off. Glad you're using OPI now though x

Well Misty, do your friends nails again but using Opi products to see how it goes. I have had 3 experiences with clients loosing all acrylic nails before 1 week when those clients have thyroid problems and are under medication. Otherwise, i haven,t have any issue not even mixing different products, nor using cheap acrylic. But when I started doing nails to other people not myself, my first 2 or 3 clients, i did had problem with the service, it was frustrating to me since when i did acrylic to myself they lasted like 1 month, but when I did it to clients at the begining i was getting lifting, nails falling off, etc. But after a while of practice and practice all those problems went away, so relax, and keep practicing, use Opi products and in case this happens again to you on another friend or client, keep practicing and doing nails, don,t get dissapointed, experience will come with time.

Where on earth did you find MMA products? !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Where on earth did you find MMA products? !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

at this little nail supply store that a lot of manicurists go to, I have no idea why the people sell it knowing we can't use it

Latest posts

Back