did i mess up ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hi all , I started as a mobile nail tech about a month ago, i also have a salon at home, so i can do either home visits or they can come to me. I did this as i havent been driving long so i only really offer the mobile side to the village that i live. I got a call the other day from a lady who asked for nails and when i asked when she wanted to come she sounded put out that i could not go to her and then later cancelled her appointment, this left me feeling a little fed up as maybe i should have gone to her but she was miles away. Then this morning another lady rang asking if i can do her infils b4 xmas, when i asked where she had her nails done she told me and i KNOW this is a nss salon doing mms nails, so i expained that my system wouldnt match what she already has but i could remove and re-do with my system as i couldnt just do a infil on someone eles work (i didnt start slagging off the other salon and their methods as i didnt want to look unprofessional) but she declined me anyway saying she will just go back to them for her infills.

Now i feel i have just lost two possible clients and that maybe i didnt try hard enough.......what would you have done ? did i do the right thing or not.......thanks xxx

I agree with you. You can bend over backwards for clients and put yourself out and they probably wont even appreciate it. Dont worry about clients that you have lost - put all your effort into clients you havent got yet.

Good Luck

I'd have done the same as you. When I was first mobile Id go anywhere and everywhere which was a pain when you had to travel 30 mins for a single repair. Your way is more cost and time effective. And like you I won't touch other people's work, I know others do, but that's my policy and I stick to it. There is not right or wrong in what you have done, it is just how you personally wish to operate your own business.

Hi ya

I Think this time of year makes you less likely to want to trek out mobile anyway! i am the same!

I also have a salon at home..much easier to keep things sterile..less likely to break/spill anything! You dont forget any thing and you cant carry EVERYTHING out with you mobile !! AND it looks more professional.

Anyway....yep i too get calls/enquiries.....and you just think..no matter how helpful you are or hard you try it doesnt end in a booking!
I dont know if its this time of year...or if people are cheeky because your mobile but people want you to drop everything and go there and then dont they!!

I have quite a few regular clients now and they are all happy to come to me so i think i am going to knock the mobile on the head!!

Ambx

RedAdmiral said:
I agree with you. You can bend over backwards for clients and put yourself out and they probably wont even appreciate it. Dont worry about clients that you have lost - put all your effort into clients you havent got yet.

Good Luck
Hi Angie, I agree with RedAdmiral's post and I really sympathise with you. I started out being mobile too and I did chase after clients just so that I could build a client base. I trapsed up and down a hill and windy roads to get to a client who stated on the phone that she needed a 2 week infill, but on getting there found out that she really needed a full rebalance as the growth well over 4 weeks! It turned out to be one of my worst nightmares, she'd obviously had her nails done at a nss as the L&P overlay was soooo thick and hard, it took me absolutely ages to file them down! She was also a bit miffed that I charged her more than what I quoted her on the phone for and said she wouldn't be ringing me again! In hindsight I wished I had suggested a soak-off and a new set of nails (which would have been alot more quicker!), I am sure she would have said no and that would have left me alot less stressed than doing the job that I had done!

Don't worry about losing these 2 clients, you can only do your best and it is very hard to try and please people like these.

Thanks guys and gals for your help and support, i feel better knowing that i am not the only one who feels like its a uphill struggle....what do people want,....free nails 24 hours a day with a seconds notice at their home ...sure maybe ill do the ironing aswell....ahhhhhhhh thanks again xxx

Hi Ya, unfortunately you cant travel everywhere so i agree with you about that and its certainly not your fault.

Personally i do accept other peoples work because unfortunately the client wouldnt have known it was an nss salon and will continue going there.

I recently had a client who went to an nss salon she called me for infills when she came to me she was amazed that i didnt cut her with an electric file!! as i was doing her nails i was also going through things with her which unfortunately she had never been told she is now a regular client and is happy with my system. I have gained a client from it who was none the wiser about nss salons and how they work. I appreciate everyone is different but its my personal preference to do nails from other salons especially if i can help them and gain a regular client from it x x x

Stick to your morals love, your clients will appreciate it. I have a best mate who is a mobile tech and she is ending up travelling many miles from home and a lot farther than she wants. She is working so many hours somedays she starts at 8:30 in the morning and just heading home after 10pm. This is leaving her tired and unenthused. She is now looking to settle down in a permanent place. So you must set your limits or you could end up like her. People will travel to you if they like you.

All the best!

I think you did great to stick to your guns. You shouldn't ever feel bad about losing a client you felt uncomfortable or had a bad feeling about - trust your instincts!

Latest posts

Back