Did you charge half price when you first started your tanning business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shesaidburn

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am due to get my tanning certificate in two weeks time. I was just wondering, how much you charged when you first started out? I was thinking of charging half price tans for the first month of opening and then raising the price after a months time. Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Thanks =]

Looking forward to your replies.

I think it depends on how confident you are with your treatments, if you are good at tanning then don't undersell yourself! A small discount to built your clientele is a good idea but if you are good and feel confident that you do a good job then I wouldn't do 50% off x

no do not charge half price, you will find it very hard to then increase your prices,perhaps offer a discount after so many tans,but please do not reduce your prices. xxx

I spray tanned some of my friends (6) for free. This built my confidence and allowed me to develop my own technique which I was comfortable with. My friends then passed my number onto everyone who commented on their tans and I got quite a lot of bookings this way. Everyone who booked from then on were charged my full price.

I charged £5 for my first 6 just to cover some product costs x

I did about 10 freebies on family and friends then started charging full price.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone =]

I have defiantly taken all this advice on board! Thanks xx

I had a tanning party for my mates. Good laugh and great way to build confidence. Just wait till the end before you have a drink x

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using SalonGeek mobile app

When I started I was charging $35.
I had a promo for Mother's Day of $25 to get a few more clients and returned to $35.
I stayed at that price for about 3 months then charged $40 and have charged $40 since then. The ones I provided tans to for $35 still get that but anyone else is charged $40.
I agree. If you start at 50% off you will have a hard time to get your prices up.

If you do decide to do it for half price only do it for the first time.. Eg, 'your fort tan is half price'. It makes it very clear that it is a one time thing.. Do not do it as a running offer as then they will begrudge paying any more! This approach really worked with me but it depends on your area/USP/competition. Good luck, you'll love it x

i charged £7 including petrol and i travelled far but it was only for the experience & all my 'guinea pig' ladies knew thats what i was doing lol. all of them have stayed loyal and are happy paying up tp £15 now :)

Latest posts

Back