Dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
So my boss has made me self employed (long story)
Instead of me renting a chair she has done it on a basis of 65% to her 35% to me. Naively I agreed to this not working out how much she was actually taking.

Ive built up a busy column at this salon and on most days I take more than she does as I brought clients from my previous salon to there.

I'm going to ask her if I can rent a chair which she charges £75 a day. Even so, I worked it out and I would take ALOT more money if I rented a chair from her. Only problem is that I can see her getting funny about it because a lot of the clients I gained at the salon only like me doing their hair and not anyone else. In a way it's like transferring the 'salon' clients as my clients as they only want to see me.

She hasn't paid me any notice period or written up a new contract. Where would I stand if I left and took my clients with me? Any advice appreciated 👍

Also I don't plan on leaving however I can see her asking me to if I wanted to rent a chair

So my boss has made me self employed (long story)
Instead of me renting a chair she has done it on a basis of 65% to her 35% to me. Naively I agreed to this not working out how much she was actually taking.

Ive built up a busy column at this salon and on most days I take more than she does as I brought clients from my previous salon to there.

I'm going to ask her if I can rent a chair which she charges £75 a day. Even so, I worked it out and I would take ALOT more money if I rented a chair from her. Only problem is that I can see her getting funny about it because a lot of the clients I gained at the salon only like me doing their hair and not anyone else. In a way it's like transferring the 'salon' clients as my clients as they only want to see me.

She hasn't paid me any notice period or written up a new contract. Where would I stand if I left and took my clients with me? Any advice appreciated 👍

She should work it out to be the best for you, because if your happy there, you will bring more clients in, and stay. If you are unhappy you will leave as the clients will follow.

Hopefully someone with more business knowledge sees this and can help you out x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

As I always say,"clients do not belong to anyone", clients are a free species able to make their own choices due to personal preferences. Some of these clients request a particular stylist or some may bounce around all shop stylists but the shop or any stylist owner/manager dose not own clients.

I recommend you find a close to where you are now salon better suited & with fair conditions agreeable to you. Get some cards printed up with your new local, hand them out over the next 2-3 months to your regulars quietly, put your cell # on them,e-mail personal, with the new shop info & get outta there asap.

Sounds like a bunch of un-nessary drama & client claiming silly fighting thats good for no one including your current greedy, petty should not be administrating others boss whos ripping you off & will be evil about your leaving & will try every low-trick in the book to make you bend to her selfish will. Bite the bullet,cycle through your regulars & get yourself a decent work enviorment!

As I always say,"clients do not belong to anyone", clients are a free species able to make their own choices due to personal preferences. Some of these clients request a particular stylist or some may bounce around all shop stylists but the shop or any stylist owner/manager dose not own clients.

I recommend you find a close to where you are now salon better suited & with fair conditions agreeable to you. Get some cards printed up with your new local, hand them out over the next 2-3 months to your regulars quietly, put your cell # on them,e-mail personal, with the new shop info & get outta there asap.

Sounds like a bunch of un-nessary drama & client claiming silly fighting thats good for no one including your current greedy, petty should not be administrating others boss whos ripping you off & will be evil about your leaving & will try every low-trick in the book to make you bend to her selfish will. Bite the bullet,cycle through your regulars & get yourself a decent work enviorment!

Good advice! I had to read this to my fiancée because it made me laugh so much 😂👍

I know all about being self-employed. It's such the way in London. For 35% is this after VAT? Where I used to work this was the starting rate going up to 40% after VAT once you were established. Your employer will have to supply products, colours, assistants etc... And remember, being self-employed means you're not employed by your boss anymore.

For tax purposes you won't be able to use your work as your address too. Contact HMRC for further advice.

I think being self-employed is great but I do not agree with how it is used and abused by employers in London. I would rent a chair if you have a good clientele.

Well firstly if youre self employed shes NOT your boss- this is something many employers try to con people into agreeing to so that they dont have to declare theyre employing anyone and that is illegal. If you think this is the case then you need to ring HMRC up and get some advice about your position, because if this turns out to be true she can get into trouble.
If theres no contract then you can probably do as you please, the whole set up sounds like a shambles so I wouldnt worry about getting out of there.
Read up on your working rights and make sure you stand your ground- as a self employed stylist you can negotiate either a flat rent fee as you suggested or demand a higher percentage, because that looks like daylight robbery you only taking 35% when you run a full column.

Thanks for your replies!
I take 35% and then I have to pay my tax and n.i after I receive that so it's before tax.
She's got me staying behind 2 hours after work tomorrow to promote her products. I feel stuck! 😢

You are now your own boss. She is just your landlord, in effect.

Why would you stay behind? You're not going to be earning anything from it. You leave when you want to and concentrate solely on building your business.

Did you want to go self employed? Sounds like you might have a case for unfair dismissal.

Get some free legal advice from citizens advice or similar and armed with full information about your rights, (get some print outs in writing so you don't get bamboozled by her), go in, give her a scare and re-negotiate a better deal for yourself.

By telling you to stay behind, she's taking advantage of your naivety and good nature. Start taking control back!

This could be the start of the next chapter of your exciting career. :)

You are now your own boss. She is just your landlord, in effect.

Why would you stay behind? You're not going to be earning anything from it. You leave when you want to and concentrate solely on building your business.

Did you want to go self employed? Sounds like you might have a case for unfair dismissal.

Get some free legal advice from citizens advice or similar and armed with full information about your rights, (get some print outs in writing so you don't get bamboozled by her), go in, give her a scare and re-negotiate a better deal for yourself.

By telling you to stay behind, she's taking advantage of your naivety and good nature. Start taking control back!

This could be the start of the next chapter of your exciting career. :)

Thank you!
I will have a look online to find out.
Actually I had asked her to go down to part time and she suggested I go self employed 3 days a week on that basis.
She's very difficult when it comes to money. She even charges her staff to have their hair done 😩
If I ask to rent a chair I can see her asking me to leave.
She tells me I'm not allowed to tell my clients I'm self employed or that I can't leave when I want during the day just in case her staff want to do the same, which makes it quite difficult to book my mobile clients! 😡😡

Click on the following link and print it out, if possible.

Note section 3 Clients.
Highlight this and show it to your 'boss' landlord?

Remember, HMRC are unbelievably powerful and have far more powers than even the police!! Do not be fooled by her into thinking they are 'just' a Government administrative body. They have wide ranging powers including imprisonment and are definitely not intimidated by anyone.

VTAXPER69100 - Particular trades: Hairdressing: Guidelines agreed with the National Federation of Hairdressers

Last edited:
Click on the following link and print it out, if possible.

Note section 3 Clients.

Highlight this and show it to your 'boss' landlord?

Remember, HMRC are unbelievably powerful and have lots more powers than even the police!! Do not be fooled by her into thinking they are 'just' a Government administrative body. They have wide ranging powers including imprisonment and are definitely not intimidated by anyone.

VTAXPER69100 - Particular trades: Hairdressing: Guidelines agreed with the National Federation of Hairdressers

Thank you so much! Really helpful stuff! I'll let you know how it goes! 👍

I'm in a similar situation
I'm mobile 3/4 days of the week and work in a salon 2 and a half days a week
I used to be on hourly rate and have changed to 35% which is working out better for me but sometimes my "boss" takes the mick. Always asking if I can do more hours or stay later at really short notice and cos I have my mobile clients I can't I'm always honest though and say I have to think of the money and in this instance my mobile client brings me more money than staying a bit longer or doing an extra day sometimes 35% isn't a lot though. I took £300 today so that's only £105 for me which isn't a lot for 8 hours no break but it's MUCH better than hourly rate! X

I'm in a similar situation
I'm mobile 3/4 days of the week and work in a salon 2 and a half days a week
I used to be on hourly rate and have changed to 35% which is working out better for me but sometimes my "boss" takes the mick. Always asking if I can do more hours or stay later at really short notice and cos I have my mobile clients I can't I'm always honest though and say I have to think of the money and in this instance my mobile client brings me more money than staying a bit longer or doing an extra day sometimes 35% isn't a lot though. I took £300 today so that's only £105 for me which isn't a lot for 8 hours no break but it's MUCH better than hourly rate! X

Seems like it's quite common for salon owners to be taking the mick!
I earned the salon £400 on Saturday and I got £110 had I of rented a chair I would've taken £330 minus cost of colour and products I still would've made a good profit 👍

Seems like it's quite common for salon owners to be taking the mick!
I earned the salon £400 on Saturday and I got £110 had I of rented a chair I would've taken £330 minus cost of colour and products I still would've made a good profit 👍

I wouldn't say your salon was taking the mick, you got almost 30% of your takings with no outlay or risk! It may seem like your boss has done well out of you but that money has to go towards rent, utilities, business rates, stock, advertising, apprentice/ receptionist wages bill, tax, vat, insurance and hopefully a bit of profit for them too or there's not much point them doing it!
I think people assume cos you have a salon you must be rolling in it but From personal experience in my first year of business it's extremely tight trying to meet all the overheads each month!

Well she's just spent £30,000 on a car so I think she's doing okay😂

Dondon, make sure you have your insurance sorted too as being self-employed you have to have your own. And does your employer take VAT off first before the percentage?

Dondon, make sure you have your insurance sorted too as being self-employed you have to have your own. And does your employer take VAT off first before the percentage?

All sorted! Thank you! I just need to get some sort of sickness insurance in case I ever have poor health and can't work. No I have to sort out my own vat and national insurance. The 35% is before tax and n.i

All sorted! Thank you! I just need to get some sort of sickness insurance in case I ever have poor health and can't work. No I have to sort out my own vat and national insurance. The 35% is before tax and n.i

Okay, so this situation just got even worse!
Half an hour before I'm meant to start my shift today and she calls me telling me she's not comfortable with the situation and not to bother coming in today or any other day for that matter. She doesn't want me at the salon because she feels like I'm taking more interest at my mobile business, and she'll talk to me during the week. The whole situation doesn't sit comfortably with her apparently and it hasn't done since. Also she said I've been contacting clients (when I genuinley haven't!) 😡

That's very underhand trying to prevent you working in the busy period before Christmas. She obviously sees you as a serious threat to her business. :(

In the meantime, walk the streets and start looking for a place to rent. Also, sort out your business cards with a mobile contact number.

Be proactive and take control of your own destiny.

Stay positive and focussed. :)

Latest posts

Back