Disabled Access

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen Smith

theHOTWAXroom
Reaction score
Following a thread about waxing a client in a wheelchair, it got me thinking about disabled access and the law regarding the client's rights to service.

My salon is perfect for a client in a wheelchair.. loads of room and my treatment couch is electronic so would be ideal for a wheelchair user to get on and off from their chair if they have upper body strength to do so.

The problem with my home salon is the entrances, the back of the house is a small step, not too bad, but the then they would have to negociate my large dresser in the morning room which narrows the door entrace, and the front of the house is a huge door but there are 3 steps up to it.. this would be the ideal entrance as it is direct access to the salon and its all smooth parque flooring and large door to the salon.

Up to now I have not had anyone request a treatment who is physically disabled but if I were to do so.. am I not adhearing to the law by having restrictive access? I could get round this by having a ramp built to the front elevation, but I wouldnt really like this as it wouldnt be inkeeping with the house.

What do other home salon users or shop salon users do to accomodate thier disabled clientelle.

:eek:

My salon is on the first floor of a listed building so I think that I am excluded from the law because of the building's status.

I think there are a variety of exclusions but what they are I'm not sure.

Ah you'd be referring to the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) then. I think there can be exclusions for listed buildings, etc, but you would need to check to be sure.

If a permanent ramp would not be in keeping with the style of the building, then temporary ramps could be an option - these could be deployed as and when necessary, and then be folded up out of the way when not needed.

Good to hear that people are thinking about access issues though, as it does make a big difference; Sonia and I have had lots of issues with navigating steps etc.

I'm not sure law-wise, and indeed I am not entirely up to date, but I seem to recall that you are expected to make 'reasonable adjustments' to the premises. However- 'reasonable' is such a loose term that it is often tricky to define.

This may help you, DDA 1995 Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c. 50)

Thanks for your responses guys.... they have given me food for thought :hug:

I am fairly certain that the the law states that you have to make your business accessible for disabled people. My understanding of this is that you need to be able to provide your services to disabled people but that this doesnt mean they have to be able to physically access your premises.

A local pharmacy to me has 2 steps to the entrance, and they have installed a bell for disabled people to ring so that a pharmacists can come to the door and serve the customer. I have given this though in relation to my salon, and I have decided that I will offer mobile treatments to anyone unable to access the salon due to a disability.

This is my understanding of it, but it's by no means definite, so please dont take my word for it.

My solicitor does not have disabled access ( its an old victorian terraced, 4 storeys). When I asked if he was breaking the law he replied NO. Apparently if you offer your services off site i.e in the disabled persons' home then that is acceptable. To get round this he obviously offers home visits where needed.

I presume, legally, that would apply to all businesses.

Well I could certainly offer some of my services mobile for a disabled client. I don't usually do anything mobile any more. But it would save me the expense of a ramp.

Thanks everyone for your responses and advise. :hug:

Well I could certainly offer some of my services mobile for a disabled client. I don't usually do anything mobile any more. But it would save me the expense of a ramp.

Thanks everyone for your responses and advise. :hug:

Have just had a chat with Sonia, and she's said that it might be possible to get a grant to help pay for temporary ramps (she hasn't heard of anything specifically but there may well be suitable grants available); she's said that as your salon already has a very good level of access apart from the front steps, you'd be offering a better service to treat disabled clients in your salon (especially since you have the electric couch) compared with mobile. Some disabled clients might not want to have treatments done at their home (or may not be able to if they live in a care home, for example), and may well prefer the ambience and atmosphere of a salon.

Also, in terms of temporary ramps, Sonia has said that it would be better to get a wide solid ramp rather than two narrow ramps, as that would be more stable and would accommodate a wider range of wheelchairs (e.g. some electric wheelchairs have a single wheel in the middle).

Thanks Ruth for your help :hug:

Having grown up as a child and young man with a disabled mother (M.S.) I can fully understand the need for suitable access for the disabled....

The thing is it's not about the access itself its about the individuals right to access thats critical.

From the perspective of these individuals they desire nothing other than to be treated in the same way and manner as more able bodied individuals and this means that they need the same access rights as you and I.

Ok so thats an ideal world..the reality well you realy can only do as much as you can given the nature of your premises/buisness/finances etc.

If you cant afford expensive ramps ..come up with other ways to help these individuals get in and out of your premises without making them feel they are a burden to society and you.

The bell thing is a good idea..or arrange to meet them outside and give them a lift over the doorstep.

There is so much a little imagination can do to assist the disabled without making them feel different to the rest of us ..simply treat them without fuss..these guy's are just the same as you and me and I know my mum hated being fussed over by individuals who were simply trying to hard to help.

A good first port of call for advice is to call up your local council and ask them what the stipulations are for the nature of your buisness /location etc....I suspect they will do nothing other than to be of assistance to you.

good posting I must say Jen...wow does it bring back good old memories of my old mum..she might not have been a mobile individual but by heck did she keep us all in check and the family together..no one dared cross her for fear of her wroth..even though we new she couldn't catch us if she tried :hug:

Latest posts

Back