Discount & friends/family?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never charge my mum, but she always slips me something and always fits around my clients even at short notice, I literally have to pay my daughter to have anything done :) and my friends who have always been supportive have always paid full price althou I do give little extras. The hairdressers in the salon however only pay %50 but they do my hair and colour for free

One of my friends gets a discount because she helps me out by picing my kids up from school if I'm running late with appointments & having them when it's the school hols & another we trade services she cuts mine & the kids hair I do her nails x

I've messed this up with a friend of mine! When I started doing nails again after years out of the industry, I told 2 friends that I'd do their Gelicure for £10 as they both have lovely long nails and are school Mum's and would be good advertising for me. One of them only comes when I offer, never rings to book and always asks me which colour I want to use. I don't usually charge her anything.
The other friend now books every 2 weeks and I end up doing her on a Friday evening as I only work Tuesday and Thursday evenings and don't want to use up a precious slot. She still only pays me £10 and to be honest I do feel a bit resentful now.
I have a full time job as well as doing nails and have 3 young children as well. Friday is my only evening for relaxing as I go running on Mondays and Wednesdays and although I like to see her and have a chat, I keep thinking she should really be paying me the proper price now. I don't really know how to approach it and feel bad.
The other thing is that I said I'd do it in the beginning as I thought she would get me some business from Mum's at school but she hasn't got me any and one of her firend's actually goes to someone else from their school for Shellac!

I do my Mum for free too, but that goes without saying.

You are a busy, busy woman. I like you am a mum of three and although I don't work full time else where I do work at home and five days I am available. I have about 5 friends that I give mates rates too. But one of them I do feel resentful about giving discount. I think in the future I probably will reduce the amount of discount. However the coward in me will do it in a "round robin" message so that it will look like its aimed at several people. (I'm not good at eye ball to eye ball confrontation.) It will break the ice as she has already be prewarned. Then I feel i can justify my reasons if/when i do see her again as a client. Under no circumstances though will I apologise for my decision. My salon prices have gone up and I have already warned my friends that their pricing will go up accordingly.
I'm working on the demeanor that my avatar shows. Lol!!! hugs xx

Latest posts

Back