Disloyalty / friends when building a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all... Please excuse this ranting post I need some advice before I send some possibly quite harsh texts!

I haven't posted much as I've been a tad poorly sick ( nerve damage in my arm & being a hairdresser it's Great timing 6 months into starting my own business too ahhh! )
So when I started my business I gave friends (a close group of 9 girls who I would consider best friends) a discount of 30% off all services above 20 pound they have been great coming to me for everything then on.... Until it has recently come to my attention that one of them (the most regular client of the group) posted a picture tagging another hairdresser who used to do her extensions (I didn't like/use the particular hair extension brand she used so wasn't offended) this picture was of a guy tang colour (metallic lavender) 2 days after I sent her a beautiful dark brown!!! She said she loved it it was exactly what she wanted blag blah blah! So Wtf? Now a little background info without blowing my trumpet I'm quite popular in the colour correction department and have had a lot of exposure on facebook and instagram. I do a loyalty card (7 visits for a free cbw) recommend a friend and a first time client discount for clients but don't overly discount as I don't want to cheapen my skills. What am I doing wrong? Are my friends coming to me as I'm discounted, And see me as a second best option? I have worked in several city/trendy salons ect and have recently even done a similar lavender to the guy tang one! But as we know the Metallics arent available in the UK. I use olaplex and am very professional even with friends! I have also been stung twice with friends saying oh can I pay you next week.... 2 months later nothing! I'm not bothered too much about these ones as I will not be doing that again and will be totally honest about the reason why too!

So I'm sorry for rambling but my questions are...

Am I being to hard on myself?
Do discounts work?
Are most friends/family pee takers?
Are my discounts too much?
Do I revoke the discount?
Is it because I rent a chair and it's not my name above the door / do they see me as secondary?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Yes
Calm down
Part of any business is clients (or friends ) come and go.
If you take very single client who leaves personally over 10 year periods you can land up having a stroke.
Do NOT punish yourself .

Sorry to hear about your arm and nerve issues I had issues with my hands once to and was mostly down to stress, so don't let this add to your pre existing stress and become ill . And for what? One silly person.

Aw I know I don't usually let people coming and going stress me out as like you say it's part of our business! I think it's just annoyed me as 2 days after colouring her hair she asks if someone else can do her hair? Do I revoke the friend discount?

Thankyou physio is helping and your right stress isn't! Xxxx

Last edited:
To be honest, I started my beauty salon coming up to three years ago and I have never offered discount to any friends or family! As my mum said to me she would of had to pay them prices if she went to another salon for these treatments she wants anyway! And if you offer a nice atmosphere and treatment why not charge full price? I know it sounds a bit cut throat but when the bills are coming in you are the one having to find the money or to buy the stock to do the treatments!
I think at the end of the day, this is a business, not your hobbie and you need to earn an income from it!

I wouldn't get to heated over it, i know its harder said than done! But in this business friends or not water off a ducks back! And move on, i know the gutted feeling you must have felt seeing this but if you don`t take it in your stride you will drive yourself insane!

Hope this helps in anyway! X

Firstly, I think your discount is probably a bit too generous and to too many people. Now you're established, consider reducing it to 15% and only to about 3 very clear friends/family.

Discounting always gives the wrong impression and it doesn't buy loyalty. If they're your friends, they should want you to succeed regardless of what's in it for them, surely?

However, equally, I think you are a being a little unfair on your friend. She should be free to post on Facebook whatever she likes as long as she isn't bitching about you.

Think about it this way. Imagine she owned a wedding dress shop and offered you 30% off any dress but your dream wedding dress design is made by a rival company. You would feel very uncomfortable having to choose between buying from your friend or buying your dream dress and risk upsetting your friend.

Friendship shouldn't come with any strings, in my opinion.

Firstly, I think your discount is probably a bit too generous and to too many people. Now you're established, consider reducing it to 15% and only to about 3 very clear friends/family.

Discounting always gives the wrong impression and it doesn't buy loyalty. If they're your friends, they should want you to succeed regardless of what's in it for them, surely?

However, equally, I think you are a being a little unfair on your friend. She should be free to post on Facebook whatever she likes as long as she isn't bitching about you.

Think about it this way. Imagine she owned a wedding dress shop and offered you 30% off any dress but your dream wedding dress design is made by a rival company. You would feel very uncomfortable having to choose between buying from your friend or buying your dream dress and risk upsetting your friend.

I never thought about it that way, It's a great way of looking at it!

Yep I've been thinking about this! How would I word it though? X

To be honest, I started my beauty salon coming up to three years ago and I have never offered discount to any friends or family! As my mum said to me she would of had to pay them prices if she went to another salon for these treatments she wants anyway! And if you offer a nice atmosphere and treatment why not charge full price? I know it sounds a bit cut throat but when the bills are coming in you are the one having to find the money or to buy the stock to do the treatments!
I think at the end of the day, this is a business, not your hobbie and you need to earn an income from it!

I wouldn't get to heated over it, i know its harder said than done! But in this business friends or not water off a ducks back! And move on, i know the gutted feeling you must have felt seeing this but if you don`t take it in your stride you will drive yourself insane!

Hope this helps in anyway! X

My mum always said this to me... I never listened and now wish I had as now I fear it may be too late x

I wouldn't worry about it, maybe a spur of the moment thing and she didn't think it would upset you as much. However now your established and Xmas coming, maybe a little text to your discounted friends thanking them for their support in the early days but due to rising overheads, from December you can only offer 10% discount or even say full price and discount at your discretion. I'm sure they will understand. I bet they wouldn't want to work for less! If they are that bothered, then maybe you are better off filling your spaces with full price clients anyway!

If you feel yourself wobbling about asking them to pay more, roughly work out how much money you've effectively lost from each 30% reduction over the years. Add it up and think about how the money would have benefitted you and your business.

You can always blame it on your accountant being tough with you. ;)

If you feel yourself wobbling about asking them to pay more, roughly work out how much money you've effectively lost from each 30% reduction over the years. Add it up and think about how the money would have benefitted you and your business.

You can always blame it on your accountant being tough with you. ;)

And would you believe it she's also a friend of the group Haaaaaa! But I think she will stick up for me

I've been thinking about this today.. And just don't feel comfortable with it, rather than rewarding clients with loyalty... I'm giving them a bonus to being my friend even though I only see a lot of them when they are having their hair done! I could understand if there was something I couldn't do and she went else where but I have done many colours like the one she tagged another stylist in. Xx

I think you need to get yourself a new set of friends :)

This would upset me too. I would never go to a friend for my hair one day and tag another hairdressers in two days later. I just don't get it? I would let all your friends know you have checked your accounts and your losing out so you need to charge them full price now . I don't think your been too harsh on your friend at all xx

This would upset me too. I would never go to a friend for my hair one day and tag another hairdressers in two days later. I just don't get it? I would let all your friends know you have checked your accounts and your losing out so you need to charge them full price now . I don't think your been too harsh on your friend at all xx

So true and you know what out of 9 girls I've only actually seen one of them since getting rid of my discount!

Another friend has done it now..... only gone one worse! I had to cancel her appointment as I was rushed into hospital (first cancellation in 3 years) and she now goes somewhere else!! Tags it all over Facebook too!

For these reasons and a few more I have decided to drift away from them. I have no space for unsupportive and hurtful friends! X

So true and you know what out of 9 girls I've only actually seen one of them since getting rid of my discount!

Another friend has done it now..... only gone one worse! I had to cancel her appointment as I was rushed into hospital (first cancellation in 3 years) and she now goes somewhere else!! Tags it all over Facebook too!

For these reasons and a few more I have decided to drift away from them. I have no space for unsupportive and hurtful friends! X
It just proves that they are only interested in themselves . There could be jealousy there too. You did right to not offer them discounts xx

It just proves that they are only interested in themselves . There could be jealousy there too. You did right to not offer them discounts xx

Quite sad though eh you would think your friends would be the most supportive

I've had my salon for 3 and a half years and offer 10% discount to my family, my partners family and my friends.
My partners sister gets more discount but she does my Biosculpture for free (it works for us!!)
My partners family almost expect the discount, my family don't come in more than 2 time a year and my friends get annoyed when I give them the discount.
It doesn't matter who it is or how they know you, you never know how they're going to react. Charge what you're worth and only give the discount to people that make the effort for you.
Someone that I thought was my closest friend, came to my side of the city to visit her husbands family, popped in to see my parents but didn't come to see me - she had a baby 3 weeks ago!
Hurt is an understatement! Doubt I'll bother giving her a discount anymore! [emoji35]

I used to give friends discount, when I gave up my salon to have a break, did I see any of these people, no. I'm starting up again, I'm not handing out discount to these people. My mum sister and motherinlaw I don't charge.

One of my friends mum used to colour her hair bright red. When she wanted it removing and back to her natural colour (100% white) the salon she always went to refused to do it and advised her to buy products from internet and follow you tube guides. She came to me and I explained the process would definitely not be an overnight success, it would take a few treatments to keep the hair in optimum condition (it took 4 attempts) and she would definitely go through a 'soft Copper' stage. She was fine with this so we got started. I continued to do her hair for a while after. Then on one of our nights out I noticed she'd had her hair cut (very obvious) and so I commented that it looked nice (it did). She had it done at a different salon as they gave her a bigger discount than I did. About 6 weeks ago she rang and asked me to cut her hair as the stylist she was going to doesn't do what she's asking for; I do her hair now but no longer give her any discount _ as I see it loyalty works both ways.

Hi. I'm a newby here.
Harsh as it sounds to us when we hear our pals especially going to others. Kick in the teeth.
Discounts are good in the beginning whilst u get going.
I would consider introducing loyalty cards to all of family and friends. Keeps it straight for u to monitor. With a stamp of coarse in your shop for the crafty people. Lol
Try putting yourself in their shoes. We all like a bargain. We all like a change.
Let them travel and if it's better for them. Try not taking it to heart as we all can do. It then frees you up to take in new loyal customers. Fresh faces. It's good.
I've done this job for a very long time. People can really hurt you when you least expect it.
So pls don't carry the baggage. Leave them be.
They will come back.. you will see in time as cream always rises to the top.
It's a two way street.
Another thought is , you can always be full when they need you. Lol.
It's a new yr approaching. Try n njoy it.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back