Ditching a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leahukhairstylist

Reaction score
Hi i need some advice. I have a client i have been doing for years and years in the salon and now mobile. The thing is i dont want to do it anymore. Im fed up with 1. The smoking in the house (i literally have to change clothes in the car and spray everything down after) and wash gown and myself when i get back, also to add i go back to my baby so i cant even hold him until ive had a shower. 2. The attitude - the family are gobby, swear constantly, i do not agree with anything they say (obviously i dont voice my opinion). 3. The accusations - every time they forget an appointment its my fault for booking it in wrong.

If they rang up to book i would say im fully booked however they rebook when i am there so the only thing i can think of doing is messaging to let them know I'm not doing it anymore. But how can i do this in a nice way? Someone please help. I'm not exactly scared of this family but you definitely dont want to be on the wrong side of them.

Help!!

How about you are cutting down your hours to re-train in something different and can no longer accommodate their needs/times. x

I don't normally agree with lying but in this case it's probably the simpliest solution, can you tell them you have had to reduce your mobile area to reduce fuel costs? Or, you're not covering that area anymore as most of your clients are at the other end of town and it's just not viable for you to keep travelling over their way????

I would personally say I've forgot my dairy or not got it on me and not sure when next appointment is until I look?! [emoji16] x

I'd say first off i was taking a holiday or struggling with childcare so not sure when im returning so they couldnt just rebook, then I'd say I was cutting down my hours because of baby and just not be able to fit them in. If its too difficult to get an appointment eventually theyll go elsewhere.

I would send them a txt or e-mail, saying how grateful you are for the opportunity to have them as your clients for such a long time, but you no longer can perform your services at their place. Give them a choice to come to your place or salon. But, I would also say that you updating your prices and make it sound expensive for them. Another thing, I would recommend them to see someone else, instead of you(your co-worker or someone you know). Give them those options and feel at peace with yourself. It's ok to say "NO". And I think it's a nice way to explain everything. Good luck!

Thank you all for your comments. My husband agreed with a comment above and do them one more time and 'forget' my diary and then when i het home say i cant fit them in. There always complaining about prices so putting my prices up may be an option for them too. Im just not sure what to message when i get back home.

'after looking through my diary, my next available appointment isnt until *3 months away?* By then my prices would have increased to *say an extreme price*

What if they say ok?

Whatever you decide, remember people talk, you don't know if they know someone else you do, so if the family mention 'oh I can't get an appointment and her prices have gone through the roof' you don't want to encounter a situation where they find out that doesn't apply to your other clients, if you see what i mean.

Thank you all for your comments. My husband agreed with a comment above and do them one more time and 'forget' my diary and then when i het home say i cant fit them in. There always complaining about prices so putting my prices up may be an option for them too. Im just not sure what to message when i get back home.

'after looking through my diary, my next available appointment isnt until *3 months away?* By then my prices would have increased to *say an extreme price*

What if they say ok?

They could turn round and say that’s fine... then you’d be in the same situation as you’re in now. I’d be upfront and explain you cannot do their hair anymore due to personal reasons.... xxxxx

Latest posts

Back