Do all permanent/quasi colours contain ammonia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberjox

Reaction score
Everyone seems to be asking for non ammonia colours lately but whats so bad about tints with ammonia in?

Vegetable colours are getting more and more popular where I work.

Thank you! :)

xx

The ammonia word has been tarnished I think. Even colours like loreal inoa which is ammonia free will have a product that does the same thing but isn't stigmatised by the word "ammonia" if you ask most clients why they want ammonia free colour I bet a bunch wouldn't be able to tell you.

Again with clients saying "I don't want ammonia" or "I don't want bleach". These things used properly do minimal damage

The ammonia word has been tarnished I think. Even colours like loreal inoa which is ammonia free will have a product that does the same thing but isn't stigmatised by the word "ammonia" if you ask most clients why they want ammonia free colour I bet a bunch wouldn't be able to tell you.

Again with clients saying "I don't want ammonia" or "I don't want bleach". These things used properly do minimal damage
Ahhh and i will do from now on! Every box colour advert says without ammonia and suddenly everyone thinks colours MUST be without it!!

Thanks xx

Diarichesse and inoa are ammonia free.

People are reluctant to have ammonia based products on their head as they know that they don't actually need to anymore.

Ammonia swells the hair, allowing the color molecules to enter. Hair then returns to almost it's original state. But almost...

Inoa is oil delivery which works on the oil /water repelling each other principle. Moisture in the hair forces in color molecule suspended in the oil into the hair.

Oil and ammonia- very different

Once you've used them- particularly on yourself, you'll see the difference.

That's gd to know! I wonder if all companies will follow suit then x

Personally I think the whole ammonia free thing is a con. MEA which repalaces the ammonia in permanent hair colour is just an odourless version that doesn't do the job as effectively as ammonia. Ammonia opens the cuticle very effectively MEA doesnt so they have to put a hell of a lot of it in permanent hair colour for it to work. It also is harder to remove than ammonia and stays processing in the hair for upto 24 hours and the irony of it is Inoa's shampoo has amoonia in it to remove the MEA. Have u wondered why Wella the biggest proffessional line havent gone down that road in there permanent colour lines?

If your clients are asking about it i would read up about the subject and point the facts out to them its just hype.

Here is some interesting reading.

Killer Strands Hair Clinic: ammonia in color
Independent Education - MEA vs Ammonia in Hair Color
INOA Professional Hair Color Range Contains Ammonia

That what I thought, and I prefer wellas colour to inoa anyhow but I just don't get when uneducated people eg clients have a fear of things they know nothing (not alot if they have looked into it) about for instance "ammonia" "bleach" "peroxide" can't tell you how many people say "I don't want peroxide into colour, I don't want to be blonde" lol!

Although I agree that a lot of the ammonia-free stuff is marketing, I also think there are benefits.

Firstly as for it being odor-free & with less scalp irritation, I think this is a big part of our clients experience.
One thing that really surprised me when I started using INOA was how many clients said how nice it was to have a colour that didn't make their scalp itchy!
I was surprised because they never said anything when they used to have the ammonia product, either way anything that gives the client a more enjoyable experience is good in my eyes.

I don't think that ammonia is the bag guy it's always made out to be, but the majority of demi-permanent colour does use MEA rather than ammonia.
MEA wasn't used in permanent colour since it didn't give enough coverage, but when L'Oreal bought out INOA it had the same amount of MEA as Richesse.

At the end of the day going from using Majirel to INOA, there is no way I would go back to Majirel unless I had no choice. The colours look softer and the condition seems much better.

But with all the hype, there are probably some ammonia free products that are more harsh than the ammonia colours, and likewise I'm sure that there are some amazing ammonia colours out there, thats just my experience of going from one ammonia line to a non-ammonia line.

Thats made it a lot clearer for me to explain to clients. Thank you everyone xxx

Latest posts

Back