Do any of your children want to follow in your footsteps?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladybird

Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter Is interested in learning to do nails :) I've told her that if she is serious then she will have to learn all the theory, get qualified in manicure and pedicure and then get properly qualified in enhancements (if that is what she wants to do).

We have discussed how long it will take and she is excited to start learning. From my point of view it will be a good income stream for her while she is at university in a few years down the line :)

I've told her however she won't be able to get any nail qualifications until she's 16.

In the meantime I am going to help her become familiar with some of the theory and guide/train her on perfecting her polishing :) and let her imagination fly with nail art.

Anyone in the same boat?

You must be kidding. My 12 year old daughter hates nail varnish and make up and wants to go on "The Apprentice". She thinks she's going to be the next Sir Alan Sugar. :rolleyes:

You must be kidding. My 12 year old daughter hates nail varnish and make up and wants to go on "The Apprentice". She thinks she's going to be the next Sir Alan Sugar. :rolleyes:
....and I really hope she does. I'd love my daughter to be interested in being the next Alan Sugar, only better.

Aw ladybird that's lovely. She will be some nail stylist by 16. I think it's so important that kids learn a skill, it's kind of falling by the wayside I think these days. It also means some quality mummy/daughter time :) You must be proud.

My boy keeps saying when I retire (I'm only 32) he's taking over my business, but he also wants to be a bus driver like his dad, a rugby player, a train driver and a scientist. However he has a lovely collection of polish and glitter that he loves using at my nail desk. He's pretty impressed that boys do nails too aka Samuel Sweet, Greg Salo and so on. He still doesn't get that I'm self employed, if I have a day off or decide to do something with my business he says "muuuum what will your boss say!".

Aw run with it hun. If nothing else she'll always know how to look after her nails.

Lovely thread :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

She could be the next "Jazz" - from Nail Harmony. She's very lucky to have a teacher on call. I wish my daughter showed the slightest bit of interest instead of making me feel that my job is "just silly".

My youngest daughter wants to be a hairdresser !
But I have to say she needs a lot of training yet she's (4) we play hairdressers and the amount of brushes she has had caught in me hair is ridiculous lol she asked if she could get the scissors the other day and I had to say no but she has her own technique for thinning out hair - rip it out from the roots lol !
I have bought a dolls head for her so she can at with that as I can't take anymore xx

My girls grew up with me working from home, and never really showed an interest in make up, nails or beauty. As my eldest daughter finished her A levels, we were talking about what she planned to do next. I suggested beauty, but she politely declined. About three months later, she told me she would like to do beauty, having no recollection of me suggesting it three months before. She qualified in level 3 last summer, and I now employ her at our salon. She is SO her mothers daughter. I hear me in her when she speaks, and clients often comment on our similarities. So far, it has been fab - we get on really well, and I listen to her often excellent suggestions.

Daughter number 2 is on a gap year and we are visiting Unis for her at the moment. She is extremely academic (we're still trying to work out where this is from lol) and plans to do a degree in Economics at Leeds, Kings College London or Bristol, closely followed by world domination - she is my pension fund!!!

Chalk and cheese!

Vicki x

The way I look at it by 18 when she's going to uni she could have a great wee income as she'll be surrounded by plenty of customers - its so hard to get a part time job these days as it is never mind in the future!!

Yes I agree skill is great to fall back on plus what's more important to me is that it gets her off the flipping computer!!

I would love one of my girls to follow in my foot steps. The eldest whose 6 nearly 7, thinks its not a real job as I just go roubd to see people and chat whilst I do their nails.
My 3 year old however wants to grow up and wear a tunic like me and make people pretty. (This is the one I've got my money on lol!)
And smallest whose 2 tomorrow couldn't give a toss so long as peppa pig is somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Awe love these answers :) I have a 6 and a 4 yr old and they both want to join me (at the moment) they love coming to the salon to "work" mainly plying with heads and painting fake nails, my 6 yr old getting quite good actually :) would love for them to join me and have a family run salon :) x

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

My little girl who's 5 wants to be a hairdresser, she thought she WAS a hairdresser about 6 months ago and went into the kitchen draw, got the scissors and cut her side fringe (which had almost grown out, her hair is way past her elbows!!) and cut it around an inch long! I was devastated and all kitchen scissors are STILL hidden!!!

My daughter loves everything to do with nails. (She's 9) she comes with me when I do my friends nails and always tells them how much longer vinylux lasts over regular polishes lol amongst other things she's learnt from me.
She says she wants to be a 'nail artist' when she's older.

I'll teach her everything I know when she's a bit older & I'll put her through the correct courses etc if she is still interested. I like the thought of her having a trade that she can always fall back on if anything happens (if she doesn't want to do it as a career etc)
Xx

My baby cousin (7) is obsessed with nails, she will sit for hours drawing me nail art designs and when she comes to the salon I give her nail pops, old polishes and little bits of art and I let her loose, she absolutely loves it! She will be my apprentice when she is of age and will continue the family business with us! My little boy who is 3 lays like a king and demands I file his nails and put him a shiny top coat on hahahaha!

Love this !! My 13 yr old would say she has no interest in being a hairdresser like me , but when I can't get to
People's house and they come to me for a consultation/skin test it's like she is the pro !! Esp if she knows them, it's so funny as when they say are you going to be a hairdresser she would pull a face !! My fault as I am always telling them they will never have any money lol xx

That's nice, when I was growing up I was surrounded by people telling me not to follow in their footsteps as their job wasn't as good as it sounded being a nurse or a hairdresser etc but I was never given a path or encouragement! If my little girl says she wants to do nails I will encourage her even if it isn't nails! She is 3 and already loves painting mine it my husbands nails with her hello kitty varnish that just rubs off! And she loves getting hers painted so I will have to wait and see

Reading this is really making me want a little girl!!!! I have 2 boys (3 and newborn) the eldest used to watch me do my nails and now he's just not interested he says its for girls! He loves fixing things and finding out how things work and for some reason I can see him being an electrician like his grandad! I'd love a little girl that I could teach! Xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back