Do other brands cure with 18g lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou71

Reaction score
HI

Can anyone tell me if the use other brands other than Gelish successfully with the 18g lamp and if so which ones?

thanks.

HI

Can anyone tell me if the use other brands other than Gelish successfully with the 18g lamp and if so which ones?

thanks.

Hi

You're not meant to use any brand with a lamp that hasn't been specifically designed to use with that product. If you do there is risk of under or over curing which although may not be visible to the naked eye, can negatively affect your service and your clients' resistance to gel polish in the long run. Hth! Xx

Jules - thanks. I know that the 'official' responses will be. However, in the real world there are loads of nail techs that offer different brands and also mix and match brands. Now, either they have numerous lamps or perhaps have found one that does cure their choices of brands.

I'm just curious as to see who believes that the 18g works with other brands other then Gelish and which ones. I love the lamp, just rapidly falling out of love with Gelish!

Thanks

Any LED curable gel will cure with the 18g lamp. Gelish are relatively unique as they say their gels can be cured with any suitable uv or led lamp... I'd imagine the logic works the other way for the lamp! As far as I know, CND are the only brand who categorically state you can only use their lamp with their product...

IBD cures well in my 18g lamp, as does cuccio veneer :) haven't tried any others

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks Gem. Just did some googling and found pretty much the same answer.

Thanks for your input.:)

You might just need to research and play around with curing time. With different colors and brands the time may increase or decrease depending on what is on the nail.

How do you know it cures well ???
Do you send the clients fingers off for testing to get a reading in how well they've cured?
Play around with cure times ?... What are you checking for ?!
Just because a gel coating appears to have cured, does not mean that it has cured enough...or cured too much! How can you possibly know this

HI

thanks.

I use gelish, ibd just gel, gel II, and orly in my 18g and everything lasts 2-3weeks (if not longer) and I've been doing so for a while with no problems for clients. Just follow manufacturers instructions for curing time. Hth :)

How do you know it cures well ???
Do you send the clients fingers off for testing to get a reading in how well they've cured?
Play around with cure times ?... What are you checking for ?!
Just because a gel coating appears to have cured, does not mean that it has cured enough...or cured too much! How can you possibly know this

Don't be pedantic. If the manufacturer instructions says "cures in 30 secs under LED lamp" then that's what it does. And over curing isn't a thing.

Don't be pedantic. If the manufacturer instructions says "cures in 30 secs under LED lamp" then that's what it does. And over curing isn't a thing.

Not wanting to get involved in an argument or anything but over curing is a thing unfortunately! And just because a lamp is LED, it doesn't mean that the wavelengths of the UV are the same as the lamp recommended by the manufacturers of the gel polish.

Have a look at Doug schoon's Brain on Facebook - really interesting stuff! Xx

Gelish are relatively unique as they say their gels can be cured with any suitable uv or led lamp...

This is not true.

They permit any 36 watt UV lamp but specify very clearly that only their LED lamps are endorsed for use with gelish. You can't attend training with any other brand of LED lamp.

Jules - thanks. I know that the 'official' responses will be. However, in the real world there are loads of nail techs that offer different brands and also mix and match brands. Now, either they have numerous lamps or perhaps have found one that does cure their choices of brands.

I'm just curious as to see who believes that the 18g works with other brands other then Gelish and which ones. I love the lamp, just rapidly falling out of love with Gelish!

Thanks

Jules gave you a factual answer based on scientific evidence as opposed to an answer by someone who is guessing whether or not a lamp can cure a given gel fully.

If you haven't heard of Doug Schoon I can highly recommend that you familiarise yourself with his work. He is a leading scientist who has spend decades studying the natural nail, nail coatings and their effect on the natural nail. He is highly respected throughout the industry, not just brand specific. This link Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles explains exactly why not all lamps are equal - you might find it interesting reading :)

So what happens if something is cured 'too much'? Surely nails continue to cure whilst out in the natural light after using either UV or LED lamps to initially cure!

Rapid over curing, which would occur in a lamp as opposed to normal everyday UV exposure, can cause onycholysis, breakdown of service and extreme heat spike.

Latest posts

Back