Do we have the 'right' to be educated in beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bumped into an ex student recently. She was a mature student and completed the course although it was touch and go as attendance was an issue. The student was a mature learner and had lots of time off to deal with family probs etc. so she qualified approx 2 years ago. When I bumped into her, I enquired how she was doing and she told me she is now teaching hairdressing in a prison! I was lost for words, no salon experience, no teaching quals or assessor awards although I Would hope she is at least working towards those now but I Was always under the impression you couldn't go into teaching without a minimum of 5 years industry experience!

I was late starting hairdressing. First started about 10 years ago. Did all my training back to front. Tried college couple times while training in salon but the colleges were really sh1t so stopped.
I finished my level 2 back in March and going to do level 3 hopefully in sept.
The college local to me here is so much better!

Hit reply too soon.
Definitely needs to be more regulation. From what I see in the states they take their training more seriously there, what with the licensing etc.

I met a young lass who trained as a beautician, massage therapist, nail tech and MUA in TWO WEEKS!!!!! She then got insured and rented a room in Birmingham. She did in two weeks what took me four years to achieve.

I spend less time on 'SALON GEEK' than I used to.....
'the largest online community for the salon professional'...seems to have less SALON PROFESSIONALS, and far more,
"I'm thinking of doing a nail/hair/makeup course, as I enjoy doing my friends......."
"How much will it cost for me to open my own salon........."
"How do I get client's......"
"Thinking of giving up my 'day job'.....how much money will I earn from doing spray tans......."
There's nothing wrong in wanting to change career......but please DO IT PROPERLY, and not by half.
Those that set -up after 5 minute's and charge a fiver, de-value the profession, and make it appear to be an 'Any one can do' occupation.
It takes more than a couple of days/weeks/months to become GOOD, and longer to become EXCELLENT.
The real talent is keeping those client's happy, and coming back for more, again and again. :)

We're forever seeing posts on here from therapists doing short courses, many with little contact time, but online info and lots of literature.

Therapists taking these courses justify it with "I can get insured" or "we can't all go to college 5 days a week". I also see a lot of "what's the best course that's cheap as possible within 5 miles of my house? ".

In any other profession, these courses would be null and void but in a profession that struggles with poor perception of the intelligence of the people carrying out beauty treatments, are we becoming a joke because some insurance companies will insure anything?

I'm interested in what everyone thinks. Whether you agree that distance courses are worth doing or that, like me, you think that if it's worth doing, do it properly. Come out with a qualification that is recognised by EVERY insurance company and that is worth the paper it's written on.

Apologies to those of you that now want to lynch me!

Vic x
I absolutely think your right, proper training is worth it in the end!

Latest posts

Back