Do you Charge For Repairs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailquueen

Reaction score
Just a pondering,do you charge your own clients for broken or nails that need a repair.I feel as if my work is not upto the standard,so when this happen i feel i can`t charge.Ive only done 2 repairs in the last 6 months.My hubbie said i should as its my time & product.So what do you do?And to make matters worse the client is a neighbour.

I always include ONE free repair but only during their rebalance appointment.

I have no question about my work being up to standard and all breakages are down to the client! If a client comes in wanting a repair in between appointments there is a minimum charge of 5.00 just to sit in the chair.

I do the 24 hour rule with my clients....if they call me within 24 hours of their fill for a repair I'll fix it n/c. Anytime after the 24 hours, $5.50cnd per nail.

I don't advertise the 24 hour rule of course, and rarely do I get many repairs within the 24 hours. The clients that do, are greatful for the break (pardon the pun :) ) and still tip me the amount it would of cost, so it works for me.

As for repairs during a rebalance, I don't add the repair costs onto the rebalance price unless there is more than 2 missing nails.

I do the 24 hour rule with my clients....if they call me within 24 hours of their fill for a repair I'll fix it n/c. Anytime after the 24 hours, $5.50cnd per nail.

I don't advertise the 24 hour rule of course, and rarely do I get many repairs within the 24 hours. The clients that do, are greatful for the break (pardon the pun :) ) and still tip me the amount it would of cost, so it works for me.

As for repairs during a rebalance, I don't add the repair costs onto the rebalance price unless there is more than 2 missing nails.

I do not have a 24 hour rule. All clients are given aftercare advice and new ones are more likely to have a breakage within the first 24 because they are not used to having longer nails, so I certainly do not do a repair for them for free if they break one that quickly.

You are very kind AC (but kindness does not pay the rent) in this situation I am not.

Hi

I am mobile so charge a £10.00 call out fee and £3.00 per nail for all repairs. I include 2 free replacements with rebalances and infills but only at the appointment time.

I do not have a 24 hour rule. All clients are given aftercare advice and new ones are more likely to have a breakage within the first 24 because they are not used to having longer nails, so I certainly do not do a repair for them for free if they break one that quickly.

You are very kind AC (but kindness does not pay the rent) in this situation I am not.
To each their own...

I didnt break it....:lol:....Yes I charge.

Yes I charge, I give 1 free with a re-balance, any other breakages are charged at £2.50 in a re-balance, other appointments are £3.50 for a repair!

Hiya
You need to charge at least 3.00 for a repair. If not some clients wont take care of their nails and would keep coming back to you all the time with repairs. When you start charging, they will soon understand that they just cant get a repair done as and when free of charge.

Last edited:
Breakages fixed at re-balance for my own nails.....

Charge of 2.50 for fixing between re-balance .....

3.50 per nail for other techs broken nails.....

If people take the mick I will charge them for every breakage .. they soon stop breaking and start looking after !

I think if you start out with a new client explaining that you charge for repairs and how much,putting it on your price list too, the client is aware of what the ground rules are before they ring for a repair. If there is a query you also have something to refer to.

Some Great Advise,
I charge $5.00 ( like Gigi) to sit in the chair if it is not their usual rebalance.

1 free with their rebalance and $2.00 for each nail.....
If they have more than 6 missing.... then i will tell them that a full set is their better option and to soak off the remaining few...
I was finding some clients were "pulling" their nails off in an attempt to get a full set for $20.... if you let them they will take advantage.....

If they are very regular clients that never miss an apt.. and they are always the ones that tell you the break is their fault then i let them get away with 2..

I have a client yesterday who wanted me to move one of my regular infills to another time so that she could have 1 nail replaced at a specific time....! some people.

When i worked from home the phone used to ring at 9 , 10pm on a friday/sat night asking for nail repairs!!! can you believe that......

How about charging for silk/fibreglass wraps over natural nails?

How about charging for silk/fibreglass wraps over natural nails?

Are you talking about a repair? or a repair during a manicure appointment?

If they just wanted a wrap repair (or any really for a non regular client) I would charge probably a tenner. It would take about 10 minutes and I like to aim for 1.00 a minute during an appointment like this.

Thanks Geeg, just what I needed. I'm currently charging £3.50 a repair, as part of a mani/pedi. How does that sound?

Thanks Geeg, just what I needed. I'm currently charging £3.50 a repair, as part of a mani/pedi. How does that sound?

It depends on how long it takes you. I always go for a nice round 5.00! It takes longer to do one (pro rata) then it does to do one when doing all ten. IYSWIM Therefore it costs more in time. Your time is $$$ as they say.

Just a pondering,do you charge your own clients for broken or nails that need a repair.I feel as if my work is not upto the standard,so when this happen i feel i can`t charge.Ive only done 2 repairs in the last 6 months.My hubbie said i should as its my time & product.So what do you do?And to make matters worse the client is a neighbour.
Dear Nail Queen,
Yes, you should charge for repairs. Your husband is right! It's your time, product and experience. You are a licensed professional! If you go to the Dr. he will charge YOU! If you go get a haircut - even a trim they will charge YOU. I understand it's difficult with a neighbor, but when you value what you do, others will too. One thing that may help you is to have a posted "Menu of Services" in your nail shop. That way, your charges are there for ALL to see and you just stick to them so that everyone that comes to you gets charged the same thing. I charge $3/nail repair. I have found that in some situations that people will put off their rebases for as long as they can, losing nails in the process and by then you're looking at nearly a full set for a rebase price. That's when you lose money and I think you're being taken advantage of. Just a few things to think about.

You have a big heart, so just keep it professional and you'll be just fine!

Latest posts

Back