Do you ever apply 3 thin layers of some colours in Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

I applied tropix the other day and it's a gorgeous colour although I found it patchy here and there.

I never ever have this issue with all of my other colours so I no its not my technique

Would you or do you apply 3 layers if the coverage not as you wish because I can't apply it thicker or it will wrinkle chip etc
Cheers
Nenee

With tropix I sometimes do 3 layers as sometimes you can still see the free edge through it. Most colours are fine but I just decide last minute if the colours need an extra layer as everyone is different and some clients have really white free edge.

Yes if it needs it, it's better to do 3 thin coats than 2 thick coats x

Thank you
That's exactly how It looked on my friends nails I could see the free edge through it!
Will do that now

Also what are your feelings on studio white I'm about to order and just wondered how it looks compared to cream puff. I'm looking to buy it for clients that prefer a natural white that's still white but not as much as cream puff, does it cover well?
Thank you for your advice :)
Nenee

Thank you
That's exactly how It looked on my friends nails I could see the free edge through it!
Will do that now

Also what are your feelings on studio white I'm about to order and just wondered how it looks compared to cream puff. I'm looking to buy it for clients that prefer a natural white that's still white but not as much as cream puff, does it cover well?
Thank you for your advice :)
Nenee

I always use Studio White for French now, 2 coats looks great.

I also do 3 thin coats with Gotcha and sometimes Tropix x

I have both cream puff and studio white. You only need 2 coats of each. But I find studio white is great for brides and the softer French look. But alot of my clients love the stark white of cream puff. In my opinion it's best to have both. Also I find studio white easier to work with and it's great as a base white for foils x

Thank you will be placing my order today.

My clients love cream puff but I no there will be others who want a more natural white
Cheers
Nenee

I did Tropix on myself the other week. My left hand I applied thin and after 2 coats you could see the free edge as someone above has said so I did a 3rd thin layer on that hand. But then on my right hand I just did the layers slightly thicker (not too thick or you get wrinkling) and only needed 2 coats on that hand. Both lasted perfectly and I only took it off this morning as I plan to re-do them in one of the new colours later :)

Hi

Another question ;-)
A client wants a deep purple would you say rock royalty is a good one to purchase?

Also purple purple looks blue to me is that right?

Have any of u tried the new gold shimmer one?

Also are there a layering technique to get a purple without buying another one?

I had my base coat it's in a black bottle my old one has silver label is thus just a new bottle?
Cheers
Nenee

Yes rock royalty is a gorgeous deep purple. As you say purple purple is more blue x

I always do 3 coats with cocoa :) x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yep, 3 coats with Gotcha & Cocoa. xxx

Hi

I recd my base coat and the bottle is black with the label black to my old one has a silver label is it just new style of bottle?
Got it from sweet squared of course just wondering if it's old or new stock
Cheers

You can get a purple by layering tutti frutti over fedora.

As far as I am aware base and top coats are in black bottles. Base has a silver label and top is gold.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

You can get a purple by layering tutti frutti over fedora.

As far as I am aware base and top coats are in black bottles. Base has a silver label and top is gold.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

That's wat I thought I rang sweet squared up and she said its the base coat even though the label black do all good.
Il try tutti frutti now on my fedora thanks for that ;-)
Cheers

I did Tropix on myself the other week. My left hand I applied thin and after 2 coats you could see the free edge as someone above has said so I did a 3rd thin layer on that hand. But then on my right hand I just did the layers slightly thicker (not too thick or you get wrinkling) and only needed 2 coats on that hand. Both lasted perfectly and I only took it off this morning as I plan to re-do them in one of the new colours later :)

What colour you going for Planky? I am going for rubble and gold VIP status! x

What colour you going for Planky? I am going for rubble and gold VIP status! x

I have done Dark Lava (am so in love with it!) and on my left ring finger, I have done a design also using silver chrome. Piccy in my album ;) did it for the Nail Art comp Mizzy has done. Not my best but was a hard theme and so hard to do it on myself!!

Hi

Iv just tried my new studio white on a friend to practice. She didn't have a free edge but I did a thin line of studio white. I had to do 2 thin coats because it was patchy with 1 is this normal? It looked lovely and natural after!

Would you tell client not to have French if no free edge or just do it? I did thin smile lines and they looked ok but feel a longer edge would of been better

Also do you ever do a full pedicure before shellac? Would soaking the nails in water prior to application effect the shellac?

I'm in love with dark lava purple purple and rock royalty got them the other day
;-)

I think it depends on the clients nail bed, I tend to find if they have a long nail bed but no free edge it still looks ok but if they are a biter I personally tend to recommend a paler block colour, most people tend to listen to youre advice and get them to book back in because usually within 2-4 weeks if they've looked after them you will then be able to French them. I'm sure there are geeks that would fo it regardless but I find it tough if I don't think it's going to look right, especially as it's showcasing your work. Ive only used to studio White a couple of times as most of mine tend to go for cream puff but j found j needed two coats, hope that helps :)

I think it depends on the clients nail bed, I tend to find if they have a long nail bed but no free edge it still looks ok but if they are a biter I personally tend to recommend a paler block colour, most people tend to listen to youre advice and get them to book back in because usually within 2-4 weeks if they've looked after them you will then be able to French them. I'm sure there are geeks that would fo it regardless but I find it tough if I don't think it's going to look right, especially as it's showcasing your work. Ive only used to studio White a couple of times as most of mine tend to go for cream puff but j found j needed two coats, hope that helps :)

Thank you that's great advice :)

Latest posts

Back