Do you like where you live?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hey guys I was thinking recently how much I love where I live. I live in cornwall and I just love it, I love the beaches and woods. I love the fact that it's not a "keeping up with the neighbours" kind if place, I love the countryside and I love the low crime rates. I have been to loads of city's and really enjoyed it (all my family except me my mum and brother live in London etc so always like to visit then come home). I can see why people would not want to live where I live. (No uni no large shopping center, not many jobs. Slow and sometimes boring pace of life) plus it's apparently one of the poorest areas of the uk with really low average salary etc but I really love living here. So do you like where you live, and if not where do you want to move to xxx

Up until recently, I've loved where I live. I'm close to my family and friends. Close to the expressways, shopping and work.

Recently, the neighborhood has been changing and not for the better. I've been in my home for 22 years w/o any problems in all that time.

In the past few months, my son's car has been entered and gone through, twice, my recycle bin has been stolen, my pumpkins were stolen and smashed right by my home. I won't go into the rest as it's too gross for a public forum.

So, as much as I love my home I don't like the changes to the neighborhood of late...

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with where I live. Some days I love it other days I'm at my wits end with the local mentality and the council's politics. Other days though when it's baking hot and it takes me just a five minute walk or a ten minute car drive to get to numerous beautiful sandy beaches I remember why we moved here.

I have high hopes for where we live, the area has so much potential and we're lucky to have so many fantastic things to do with the kids. It just seems we take one step forward and ten steps back sometimes which is frustrating, but this isn't London (where I used to live) everything moves slower and that's what I love about it- the calmer pace of life that is. I've done the girl about town thing in the city, now I just wanna raise my babies by the seaside :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I absolutely LOVE where I live. Everyday I think that I'm so lucky to live here.

I live in Central London and everything is on my doorstep, any type of restaurants, great bars, shops, great schools, I walk to work on a busy high street.

There is always something to do here.

As I don't drive it's great, however if I did I would probably see it as being a problem...congestion charges, parking permits and that's all without tax and even buying a car.

Like mummy cat I live quite central london too! I love it... It's diverse, busy, bustling! You can find any cuisine in the world when you want it and there is something to 24/7!

I live in south east london, to be precise in zone 1/2 and here crime rates are high, there is quite a lot of deprivation, poverty sink council estates etc but that's not to say it bad living here! I'm very defensive about my area because it gets such bad press all the time!!! But in reality the shops are great, transport is great, there is lots of opportunity, colleges universities etc and there is a community here. But you just know which areas to go to and which routes to avoid after dark! I can see me wanting to get out in a few years though when I'm older - probably for the kids really!

I live just outside Salcombe in Devon. It's an incredibly beautiful place but there are many ups and downs. It's a tourist hub and the average house price is around a million whilst wages remain low...barely any locals can afford to buy in Salcombe which is sad as I was brought up there BUT the tourism keeps the town alive and many people make their living from it.

I love that I have the beaches on my doorstep, beautiful scenic walks and a very low crime rate but I get bored very easily and feel a little like I'm climbing the walls some days as I long for something different to do.

My OHs mum owns the local pub and my parents are just down the road. Transport is rubbish and taxis are expensive, the nearest city is a good 50 minute drive

My OH wouldn't be anywhere else so we have agreed to comprise by ensuring we head off to somewhere with a little more life on occasion!

Swing and roundabouts!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I live in the capital of the Cotswolds so tourism is huge here. At times its a pain in the bum because we seem to be catering for the tourists and not the locals. It's a smallish town yet we have around 10 coffee shops. All of our high street stores are going and new coffee shops seem to open constantly. House prices are quite high because high wages business people from London like to buy second homes here.

Having said that I do love it here. It's such a beautiful place to live. We are close enough to big towns/cities such as Swindon, Cheltenham and Bristol for shopping etc. I personally wouldn't move, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I've lived here my whole life, I don't think I could do the big town/city life although from a business point of view big town/city life would probably be best.

Xx

I live in South Yorkshire & up until a couple of weeks ago i loved it. There has been several serious crimes committed in the past month & it has scared alot of people :( i know other places have worse crime rates but the fact that majority of the stuff what has happened is less than 15 minutes away from me is quite scary. I am scared stiff for when my son grows up :( x

Love rural life! You see your ex, work colleagues, school friends, all your clients in the pub. And all the gossip gets annoying but quiet funny (my sisters boyfriends aunts next door neighbours mum saw it with her own eyes so it MUST be true!) lol x

Haha. Sarahpoppy thats so funny but so true. My mum is actually the same, if my sister tells her something, it must be true! Haha

I've now moved house 26 times since being born. I've lived in Lancashire, Staffordshire, manchester, Somerset, Spain, Wigan, Dorset, London, Cambridgeshire etc etc.
I've liked everywhere so far, but manchester the least.

After living in Spain I had always said if I have to move back to the uk then I want to be in Somerset again. It's close to the coast, shops are still good, good links to London too.

Currently stuck in manchester again but not for too long I hope. Hubby is considering a job in Scotland but I def don't want to go there. Sorry Scottie friends, but I dont like it there.

I've now moved house 26 times since being born. I've lived in Lancashire, Staffordshire, manchester, Somerset, Spain, Wigan, Dorset, London, Cambridgeshire etc etc.
I've liked everywhere so far, but manchester the least.

After living in Spain I had always said if I have to move back to the uk then I want to be in Somerset again. It's close to the coast, shops are still good, good links to London too.

Currently stuck in manchester again but not for too long I hope. Hubby is considering a job in Scotland but I def don't want to go there. Sorry Scottie friends, but I dont like it there.

How was Spain?

I usually get itchy feet and move about every five years. Since I got married and we left the North East we've done: Leatherhead, Rome, Hove, Haslemere, Lovedean, Waterlooville and now we're in a rural village in East Hampshire. We've been here for 4 years now and we just had the conversation this morning about moving. We've decided that this is it now. Our son started secondary school this year and it's a great school so we want to keep stable for him. We're lucky to live in a lovely area where crime is low. Yes there are irritations such as raves in the woods and speeding cars but on the whole it's fantastic village life - local pub, harvest suppers, Xmas parties, etc. We've decided that the next move we do is when we are retired and downsizing!

I have lived in my quiet country village for nearly all of my life.
We have no shop, no pub, no nothing for 4m but i love living here, and can not ever imagine moving.

I do think I'm lucky. I live in a semi-rural location, and all our neighbours are lovely. We live on the edge of National Trust land, with great walks.

Chester is only 8 miles away.

The downside is we live at the top of a hill, and there is no public transport unless you go down the hill. Fine - until you have to get up again at the end of the day! Similarly, when the snow comes down we're stuck.

I live in not-so-sunny Sunderland. I love the actual area in Sunderland I'm in at the moment. There are good and bad areas and I'm in one of the better. My street is full of older people, they keep themselves to themselves. I live a 15 minute walk from my mam, 20 minutes from the beach and around 20 minutes from the town center! I absolutely love where I live. The house not so much though. I'm renting at the moment and I have all old fashioned carpets etc. I won't change them though as its too expensive to do in someone else's house :( xxxxx

Sent from my C5303 using SalonGeek mobile app

So do you like where you live, and if not where do you want to move to xxx

No, not really. Don't get me wrong, I have some lovely friends here, a nice house, garden, nice neighbours and I am able to work in a lovely hairdressers shop full of really nice clients. But it's not the place I would have chosen to live.

I have moved here to be with my partner. So in the wise words that Gladys shared in Midnight train to Georgia, I chose to "rather live in his world, than live without him in mine"

I live in South Yorkshire & up until a couple of weeks ago i loved it. There has been several serious crimes committed in the past month & it has scared alot of people :( i know other places have worse crime rates but the fact that majority of the stuff what has happened is less than 15 minutes away from me is quite scary. I am scared stiff for when my son grows up :( x

I'm in South Yorkshire too and completely agree. I love the countryside and the friendliness of people. It's quite laid back and chilled out compared to the big city's.
But recently a lot has gone off in Rotherham and, same as you, it's only about 15 minutes from where I live and it has been quite scary!
Some of the things happened very close to friends houses (same street) an it's awful to think about!
But aside from that it really is a nice place to live :)

Laura xx

I'm in South Yorkshire too and completely agree. I love the countryside and the friendliness of people. It's quite laid back and chilled out compared to the big city's.
But recently a lot has gone off in Rotherham and, same as you, it's only about 15 minutes from where I live and it has been quite scary!
Some of the things happened very close to friends houses (same street) an it's awful to think about!
But aside from that it really is a nice place to live :)

Laura xx

Awful isn't it when it's so close to home :( never knew you was from rotherham area :D but yeah i agree apart from all this recently i do like it here. I have lived here all my life, even lived on the same street all my life. Although i have lived in 3 different houses on the same street :p xx

So do you like where you live, and if not where do you want to move to xxx[/QUOTE]

I live on a small island on the west coast of Scotland but its only a 7 minute ferry crossing to mainland
I'm the only beautician here and my salon is about 20 steps to the beach. In the summer I find it difficult not to be distracted by boats in the bay, but in winter the waves hit my window 😳
I wouldn't swap it for anything - a bit more sun & it would be perfect !

Latest posts

Back