Do you pinch?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodyAngels

Reaction score
I've found that the majority of nails that I sculpt onto are quite flat, so I try to build them into a better shape. I've heard a lot of negativity about pinching so always decided against it until I saw the Martin John feature in October 07's Scratch Magazine. I decided to try it on a friend and the results were really good. I didn't pinch them loads as I had visions beforehand of the natural nail flying off - urghhh.
Do any of you techs use this method or do you go with caution and steer clear? Have you had any bad experiences with this method?

Claire x

I dont pinch, but thats simply because i've never been shown how to do it properly, it was never covered at college. I've seen and had them done as demo's before, but i'd rather book a 1-2-1 with an educator so i know i'm doing it properly (i will do this when i have a few more pennies in the bank, i spent up at excel). The results look amazing, much more sleek!

Hello. What is pinching we are not covering this in collegee??

There is no need to pinch or have flat looking sculpts.

If your form is placed correctly, it should follow the natural curvature of the nail you are sculpting, which looks ... guess what? ... natural!!

Pinching in my opinion is for competition nails and any other embellishments to the c curve in the salon can be made with good brush work.

Nails that don't look sleek and elegant have usually been applied with too much product hence why you feel you have to pinch them to make them more narrow.

Using less product down the sides and creating a vertical apex down the centre of the enhancement with you brush work will mean you do not have to pinch to make your nails look sleek.

Last edited:
Pinched nails look much more elegant and don't tend to flare out at the free edge, it's very easy to preform and does't hurt the client at all as long as you do the job properly,
I personaly always pinch the full body of the nail (gel or Acrylic) and clients really can see the difference.
I Use C-Curve sticks for the free-edge and i use the lateral side of my thums too pinch the full body of the nail. I don't use tweezers for this because that Does hurt!

Luv LOU:)

If your form is placed correctly, it should follow the natural curvature of the nail you are sculpting, which looks ... guess what? ... natural!!

What do you do then when you have a nail without much of a curvature? I myself have some square and some C curved. The square ones are hard to get the forms right. Can the sqaure be made more curved? How do you do this?

Claire x

What do you do then when you have a nail without much of a curvature? I myself have some square and some C curved. The square ones are hard to get the forms right. Can the sqaure be made more curved? How do you do this?

Claire x

I do describe in my book 'nailclass' which covers nail techniques how to build a vertical apex ... which in a nutshell means constructing the product so that the thickest portion is right down the centre of the nail while keeping the sides thin. Instant sleek slim curved nail enhancement even on flat nails or square nails.

Using PopIts will show you immediately how this kind of a nail is structured. PopIts produce the perfect c curve and upper arch on any type of nail and never a need to pinch anybody or anything.

Latest posts

Back